Harley Davidson Forums banner

Cigarette lighters on touring models....

38K views 55 replies 47 participants last post by  wjco9 
#1 ·
I probably know the answer before asking, but here goes. Has anyone used the cigarette lighter plug as a power port for cell phone chargers? (actually I read the owner's manual and it obviously suggests not to), but I figure the charger would tax the system less than the lighter.

Does anyone use it as a power port?

#11 ·
I put a xtra power port plug in tour pack got ir from walmart wirerd it to power wires already in place got a plug from a harley hooked up and good to go total investment 8.00 charge phone mp3 what ever you want I have a 12volt coffee pot left over from my truck driving days on the road and it still makes a good cup of coffee will take along on yellow stone trip this summer .

#13 ·
I am having the same problem on my 2010 Ultra. The cigarette lighter plug actually fried one of my Ipod chargers immediately when I plugged it in. Harley said that it meets their standards because it will light a cigarette....... I'm glad Harley is happy!!!! ha ha

I think I need to change my plug out like vistavette had to do. Nice bike vistavette, mine is the same color........ great ride...

#18 ·
I use mine for lighting smokes and for my ipod. I have not had any problems on either of my batwings. I however lost my lighter once becuase I didnt push it in far enough. I have the 6 gallon tank on my 09' and need to use a small plug as clearence is an issue.

#24 ·
I use my GPS when cruisin the long trips on my 09 Ultra and mount the GPS on top of my fuel cap. Works great. I do disconnect it and stow it away before locking my bike up because of the clearance with the fairing.
My son, on his street Glide also lost his lighter because he didn't push it in all the way and it popped out along the way.....Darn it. Can't have anything nice!!!

#25 ·
I was told by the dealere that if you plug anything in accept the lighter it can break the fairing. I ride a Road Glide. From the posts here, looks like I can start charging my I-pod and cell phone. Both have very small and light plugs.

Thanks everyone.

RIDE HARD - It's no fun if it doesn't scare you

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.