Harley Davidson Forums banner

Must have mods - Road Glide Custom CVO

114K views 510 replies 30 participants last post by  Cory 
#1 ·
Well you asked for it!

Since I traded the 2011 Road Glide Custom in Sedona Orange for a 2012 Road Glide Custom CVO in Candy Cobalt/Twilight Blue with Real Smoke Graphics, wanted to create a thread for mods and recommendations.

As soon as I get the bike (today or tomorrow I hope!) I will start posting photos and the mods moved over from the '11 bike and any future mods. Here are the details:

2012 Road Glide Custom CVO in Candy Cobalt/Twilight Blue with Real Smoke Graphics

1. MSRP - The only discount I got was on the parts... the did not want to come down from MSRP (technically, they did but only by 380.00 to cover the difference on the discount I asked on the parts (they were giving me 20% and I asked for 50% discount on the parts).
2. 4.9% Financing for 48 months
3. Color-Matched Chopped Tour-Pak Luggage. Includes matching CVO™ Graphics, Premium Hinges and Retractable Tether. P/N 53000055DGC
4. Deluxe Chopped Tour-Pak Liner P/N 91783-96
5. Chopped Tour-Pak Backrest Pad – very difficult to find the right one, and as of this update I still think I am going to get the wrong pattern...will report back when it gets here
6. Lock and Keys P/N 53194-07 (keyed-to-match)
7. Color-Matched Saddlebag Spoilers with LEDs. - loved the looks on my previous bike, had to have them again.
8. Indoor/Outdoor Motorcycle Cover with Eagle Logo – 98715-85VC – turns out (I did not know) that the CVO comes with one. So I might have this available for sale later if I can't get them to exchange it for another part like the tour*pak spoiler...
9. Service Manual '12 Touring Models – P/N 99483-12
10. Service Manual Supplement '12 FLTRXSE Models– P/N 99525-12
11. Electrical Diagnostic Manual – P/N 99497-12
12. Men's Washed Skull Baseball Cap – 99480-10VM – why not!?

Keep in mind that I have all the parts that I will move over from my current ride. My current bike is ready to be taken to the dealer. I already removed all this:

GPS with the IronAccess mount
Mid-Frame Air Deflector 58002-09
Windshield Trim 58519-07A (not sure about this one... will see)
Deluxe Saddlebag Liners 91885-97A (bike comes with a set, these look like they already have a new owner from the forum here, lol )
Willie G. Skull Collection License Plate Mounting Hardware 94546-05
Jiffy Stand Extension 50233-00
Touring Suspension Air Pump 54630-03A
4-point Docking HW Kit Passenger BK Rest - 54205-09
Rear Docking HW Cover Kit - 48035-09
Detachable Two-Up Tour-Pak Mounting Rack - 53276-09A
Comfort Profile Rear Saddlebag Guard Kit - 49179-09

And arriving any minute now:
Jackpot Ceramic Coated Headpipes

New bike (photos found on the web)

My previous bike as it sits now in the dealer...

See less See more
#2 ·
There is something that I need to share, hats off to Jamie at Fuel Moto!!!

Not two weeks ago I had purchased the Stage 1 air and Dynojet PowerVision for the 103... I explained the changed I had made on the bikes and Jamie made it so I could use the PV with the new bike and emailed me their 110 file. At no additional charge!!!!!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

#7 ·
Your new ride is awesome. One suggestion though (take it or leave it), before you go adding the chrome 4 pt on the back and hide those sweet blue covers, take a look at the Fat Baggers relocation kit. I just took off my black 4 pt and added their kit. So much cleaner, IMHO. And no affiliation to FBI. Just a really neat and clean product. Uses the rear shocks and relocates the rear point so nothing shows. Otherwise, looking forward to your new mods!

#9 ·
Is that the same part that they reported failures on the bracket?? Something about the bracket breaking due to acting as a lever and the weight of the tour*pak breaking it... I need to search and validate.

anyway, I know, I too would like to not have to hide all that blue... ...it is just that I already have the four point.... arggghhhh... need to see what I do...

Thank you for the suggestion :thumbsup

#10 ·
That is an option, once the bike is here (why is it that we can track, by the hour, where an envelop is but we can't track a $#^%$ motorcycle :cussing ), I will install it and take photos... bike has about the same amount of black as chrome... but on that front fairing I think IF I install it, it will have to be painted black... I don't think chrome is going to go well...

#13 ·
Whew! After you sent me that failure note I went scrambling through all the forums looking for something that said Fat Baggers Relocation kit and I found a few notes from you back when you just started doing mods to your Sedona RGC that showed you had interest in it at one time. I guess the 4 point from the MC convinced you otherwise. Funny, I went out and bought the 4 point based on your RGC pics and then went to Sturgis and saw the FBI kit, changed my mind and now have a set of black 4 point with caps sitting in the box. The Fat Baggers, Inc. website should show part #09BRKS-B for the black backrest relocation kit. (not sure you're going to run a backrest on the CVO?)I also purchased their trunk pak rack in black #500-B09. A little pricey at $250 but the looks are killer. Waiting on my Chopped Tour Pak (Sedona paint takes 6-8 weeks??) to mount it and hoping it looks like I think it will. My backrest and the trunk pak rak fit on the FBI mounting kit like butter and no more big knobbies stickin up. Not that I have anything against big knobbies stickin up. Take a look at their site, you might like it. Again, I don't work for FBI, just passing along some cool stuff. Thx.

#15 ·
Just wondering if you got your CVO yet. I have one on order and just want to make sure if it is a good idea.
Impatiently waiting...

I know it will not make a difference for my current situation but I sent the following suggestion to Harley Davidson on Friday, via their H-DIdeaSubmissionsSuggestion@harley-davidson.com email address.

Would be great to provide tracking/delivery details of purchased bike. If FedEx can track an envelop, there should be a way to track the location of a bike en route.

I just bought a 2012 Road Glide Custom CVO in Candy Cobalt/Twilight Blue with Real Smoke Graphics. VIN <#>. Dealer cannot tell me where exactly is the bike nor a date when it will arrived. I bought it based on their comment that the bike would be here last Monday (August 29, 2011). Not so.

Anyway, the suggestion is to do just that, be able to track a bike based on where it is in its production cycle. Say you have someone that orders one to specs, with custom paint and all... HD should be able to have the ability to show the customer (via your website) where in the production cycle the bike is and provide updates along the way until final delivery. Maybe something you do just for Custom work and CVOs or across all bikes where customers request it. The technology is there for product of less value (Dell Computers for example does this), so HD should be able to do it as well.
Got a quick reply for the Ideas/Suggestions team asking me to call Customer Services as they might be able to help, and also letting me know that the suggestion would be routed to the management team for evaluation.

Called Customer Services and John will try to reach out to the truck company to determine where the bike is. It shows it was shipped on August 25 to Orlando, FL...

Maybe too much time on my hands, maybe the excitement, maybe I want it to get here before my birthday (a few days away), maybe doing what my customers do to me , I don't know... but it keeps my mind busy...

Can’t wait for my bike to arrive. I hope that is in the dealer tomorrow.

#31 ·
That key is already stored in a drawer... I want another skull key... but later. Now I just want to move over all the stuff I took off the other bike and start putting miles. Riding to Jacksonville this weekend and from there to Saint Augustine. :)

#26 ·
Glad to see that that it is in the garage. I noticed that you have a solo seat with some chrome trim behind it. So now I need you to think way back to that old 11 Sedona orange thing. Do you think that would fit? I am going to a solo seat soon (probably a HD Brawler) and would like to add those chrome details. What do ya think? Any chance of a part #?

Werff

#29 ·
That is the new seat that comes with this bike. Is a two pillow setup. And yes, these should fit with no issues to the '11 bikes. Same mounting points. Only problem is that the rider backrest does not work with this seat...

#28 ·
The only mods I am doing are those that were already on the '11 and I am moving over to this one (stand extension, FuelMoto headpipe, etc), and those I got with the deal (saddlebag spoilers, chopped tour*pak, )...

Done: 4-point base and comfort styled saddlebag guards

Well... someone here did convinced me of getting a center stand...

#33 ·
St. Augustine, yep, my favorite place in Florida! Love it there...

OK! Center stand, 300 cha, ching! Next!.......maybe Motolights? 400...cha, ching!

Thats why I only said 3K
and what about those saddlebag liners? Nylon? on a CVO? Thats like putting hub caps on a BMW!

You really need the PCV insert luggage. Now that goes with a CVO.

#39 ·
Center stand, your are to blame, thank you very much! At least I used the money from the parts I sold from the other bike to pay for it...

Motolights? yes... but maybe next year...

Decided not to do the lowers... I kind of like the bike the way it looks now... add to that the temps in FL, I think I am better off without them.

Helmet, yeah, but in a year or two, mine is still in great shape and has a couple of years life in it.

A have a new jacket that the wife gave me for my birthday, and some new boots. So I am set there.

So the list looks something like this now:

Pending install:

Mid-Frame Air Deflector 58002-09 - waiting on the hammered down special nuts
Garmin Zumo 550 installed with permanent power hook up on an Iron Aces Speed Shop Road Glide iPhone/GPS Mount - doing this tonight
Jiffy Stand Extension 50233-00 - need to buy a cobalt drill bit
Dynojet Power Vision (doubles as a code reader) - got the 110 file ready to go.

Ordered:

Jackpot Ceramic Coated Headpipes (only exhaust mod planned...just want to get rid of the heat) - These are not expected to arrive until end of the month (September) due to the ceramic coating that is done by a different vendor...
Chrome Center Stand - 91573-09A - still blaming Marion for this one...
Harleygoodies Floorboard extensions (yeah... forgot to remove from the other bike)

Future mods:
Lights (can't have enough light!)
CustomDynamics Plasma Rods $119.95
CustomDynamics LED Turn Signals Front $69.95
MotoLights with LEDs Driving lights $$$ :bigbarf
Highway Peg Setup - Adjustable Highway Peg Mounting Kit - Short Angled - 50830-07A and Highway Peg - A lot of numbers as these are order piece by piece (two of each) - 50351-03, 509122-72, 51453-09, 51459-09, 94409-03, 11304, 45041-01A

#42 ·
Ya, the Motolights are a little pricy, BUT, you will never want for a replacement....there is nothing to upgrade to that is of quality.

When you are up in Jacksonville, check out this place:

Florida Harley-Davidson, used motorcycles, motorcycle sales, Jacksonville harley dealer

They have the Motolights. I told them I wasn't paying retail for them. After we both laughed I asked for 10% off.....without blinking an eye, he said yes...damm, should have asked for 20%....

All total, with tax it was $402....but now, I went and spent another 100 for Led lights, thank YOU very much....:pull

Installed the Screamin Eagle CVO 4" Exhaust tonight. awesome! nice rumble, not to loud, but you know its not stock. got them for $220. Now for $94 more for the black/chrome tips to round it off!

#43 ·
Installed the Iron Aces Speed Shop Road Glide iPhone/GPS Mount.

Installed... also, until now, I thought the inner fairing was painted black with some metallic flakes... nope, it is a deep blue with metallic flakes... Looks like black during the day, fooled me...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.