Harley Davidson Forums banner

Slip ons

7K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  harleymojoman 
#1 ·
Whats your opinion of them. Will be buying a new FXD by the end of the month and thinking about the V&H slip ons. This is my first Harley so looking for advice. The dealer has offered me $1200 in extras if I close the deal by the end of the month and this is the only thing I'm not sure of.

#2 ·
more sound than stock. less performance than full pipes.

if you get an air cleaner, too, you will need to have the ecu remapped... versus with full pipes and an a/c, you'll have to buy an a/f management device (much more expensive).

long term, are you planning to get full pipes or not? If so, save the money and get the pipes instead... if not, get the slips and enjoy.

#16 ·
No you don't. Fuel injected bikes will compensate for the added airflow,especially the 2012's with wide band o2 sensors. Apparently you believed the salesman.
Op. For simple pipes and air cleaner no re-map is needed. And the dealer download is EPA approved so it's still lean and runs hot.
Now you may want to richen the fuel mix just to cool the head temps a bit but you don't have to. This guys advice is not only wrong but will cost you money you don't need to spend.
If you are looking for slip ons I have chrome ones,v&h for sale in perfect shape. I bought a propipe and don't need em. Pm me if you want pics. They are coming off an 08 dyna street bob. And they are non catted.

#3 ·
I don't know what other items you have planned to use the $1200 on, but I would get the exhaust changed out completely. With slip ons, you will get a better sound, but you still have the cats in the head pipes. The full exhaust will sound even better and your bike will run cooler. If I had it all to do over again, I would have done the total stage one mod in the beginning. The dealer may want you to do the 500 mile break in prior to doing this, but if it were me, (and it isn't) I would set it up that the dealer does this after the break in. And I also would not go with the Harley download or remap. IMO, the Screamin Eagle Super Pro Race Tuner is the only way to go, and get the bike Dyno tuned. You will increase HP and Torque and basically get the bike to perform to it's fullest potential. Might be looking at a little more than $1200, but again IMO only, it would be worth it.

#4 ·
I have a 2011 FXDC with V&H slip ons, SE air box, and dealer download. Very happy! Bike runs great and sounds good! BTW, the catalytic converters ARE in the STOCK MUFFLERS on this bike, so adding slipons WILL REMOVE the cats! Since my dealer did the download for free because I purchased the other things from him and had the dealership install everything,the whole setup was less than $500 for me.

#5 ·
And I thought the cats were in the head pipes!

When you put the V&H on, did they have to adjust the head pipes and put a new gasket on to align the slip ons?

$500 seems high because slip ons and the air box are pretty easy to install; but they won't give you any warranty issues, so its probably worth it.

#7 ·
One thing I have learned is it doesnt take much to hit that $1200 mark. I will be adding some of my own funds to cover everything I want done to the bike (different seat,sissy bar,highway pegs.....you get the idea). Now I have some things to think about. Thanks for the help. Once I get this deal closed and the bike home I will post pics and what I did to it.

#9 ·
I liked the stock pipes on my bike also, and after doing all this at times I wish I'd just left it alone. The MAIN reason I did it was to reduce the heat in my engine, which it did. Everyone told me that a "stage one" was almost a necessity on these bikes, but I don't know. I'm 60 years old, and the "loud pipe" thing is something I can do without, I just wanted my bike to run cooler. The slipons aren't real loud, definitely louder than stock, but not too bad. Vance & Hines makes different baffles so you can pretty much get it to where you want it......quiet to loud.........with the same slipons. The SE slipons are only slightly louder than stock, so you might want to consider those. I'm wondering now since I had the download, what would happen if I went back to stock with the airbox and pipes while still keeping the stage one download?

#11 ·
Hey! I am 60 too! Always had loud bikes, but maybe not this one. I am not sure if the Stage 1 richens it or not. It supposed to keep the emissions stock after the mods. I like the S1 intake because it helps the engine breathe and shows off the engine better.

#13 ·
Definetly go with the full exhaust. Dont bother with slip ons. Do it right the first time and you will save money in the long run. Full Pipes, big air breather and power commander and you will be all set. If you go slip ons youll probably everntually go to a full pipe anyway which will cost a lot more.

#14 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I stopped out at the dealership today and made my decisions on what I wanted added on. Went with the slipons. Didnt really want to get alot louder than stock. Will finish the paperwork tomorrow and then just have to wait for the parts to come in and get put on to bring her home. Will post pics when I pick it up.

#17 ·
No download or remap at this time. The dealer advised me it was not needed. Thanks for the offer of your slip ons. I believe the dealer may have put theirs on today.

Sent from my C771 using Motorcycle App

#18 ·
I was looking at sip ons and decided to not go with them but instead pulled off stock mufflers and am currently working on putting in 4in baffles and exhaust tips (waiting on machinest friend of mine who owes me ALOT to get the tips done). I decided to do this after talking with the parts department manager who done this to his bike.

Baffles - $15.00
50ft Black Exhaust Wrap kit - $59.00
Exhaust tips - $40 to $150 (depending on style and size)
Total - $114 to $224 for a custom look and aftermarket performance

#19 ·
I need to do something about my exhaust. It's just too quiet. I will probably go with slip on mufflers for now. I have to make it louder than my son's Duce. It's so embarrassing to ride beside him and not be able to hear my own bike! You youngsters are supposed to respect your elders...at least when they can see you!
Grumpy

#20 ·
Grumpy I know where your comming from. I rode in a vets day parade with the Legion Riders and couldnt hear my bike at all(Vstar1100). I know I could do the same mods to it but always wanted a HD and so the new FXDC is in the works.

#21 ·
Mtncrash1 good choice! I don't know how tall you are but you may want to order the Forward Controls (or in my case the Reduced Reach Forward Controls) as soon as you can. That was my only gripe about the FXDC. I felt like my knees were almost up to my chin when I did a test ride. I loved everything else so I bought it anyway since the problem was so easy to fix.
Grumpy

#22 ·
Grumpy I suffer from a vertical disability. Only 5'8". It feels different from the forward controls on the vstar but not too bad. I figure I will get some miles on it and decide later.

Sent from my C771 using Motorcycle App

#23 ·
I wanted to swap my stock 2011 Dyna Street Bob exhaust for one with a deep, mellow and respectible sound. My budget limited me to slip-ons because I also wanted to keep the stock air cleaner and EFI. I decided to go with the Vance and Hines 3" Twin Slash Round Slip-ons. However, with the standard baffles they are so loud it left my ears ringing all day after a 20 minute commute. With quiet baffles I got the sound I was looking for. A deep rumble that is not harsh and obnoxious yet under throttle produces a nice significantly loud bark. The bike also has more torque. I can actually cruise in 6th gear at 50 mph! This should be called the "One-Third stage upgrade"...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.