Harley Davidson Forums banner

Hard bag theft prevention

69K views 193 replies 90 participants last post by  Merc4stroke 
#1 ·
Been readin alot about this lately and don't recall seein this anywhere here. Apparently they use screwdriver and pop the pin behind the saddlebag and walk away with ur bags, whether the bags are locked or not!! Heres a quote from another forum:

Had five friends lose their hard bags to thieves last night at a restaurant. We heard that the boom in saddlebag speaker systems has created a demand for hard bags by theft rings. Most of the bags were locked. Anybody hear of similar crimes? How do they get the bags off so easily and quickly? Anyone found a foolproof way of making sure they can't be stolen. My Road King Classic was spared, apparently because the leather bags are not in as high a demand.
I've been puttin off getting this but i'll be gettin this kit by the end of the week for sure!!-------> Secures Harley Touring Bike Saddlebags from being Stolen or Flying Off while traveling down the road.

They also offer a seat lock!!
Seat Securing Products for Harley-Davidson

U can make this kit for cheaper at ur local hardware store but i'm just gettin the brukus kit, cheap insurance!! :thumbsup

#3 ·
This is my theft deterrent system:

#4 ·
if you go to lowes/home depot you can buy the same stuff to make your saddlebags theft proof for a fraction of the cost. i did and used all stainless hardware.oooppsss sorry missed the last line in your post. the brukus stuff is nice but a little pricey ,just my opinion.

#5 ·
If you can snap the wire with a screwdriver the pin stays with the bag. If you put a bolt thru with the nut inside the bag with big washer...it's now locked to your bike. Your choice on the style of bolt. You may need to remove that wire. Some guys just use ONE bolt forward mount of bag so the cant pop off going down the road, but I just imagined a disappointed thief realizing that and trying to tear the bag off. Might as well swap out both pins. Perhaps a wing nut or similar so owner removal is easier for cleaning bike. I have yet to do this myself... It's now on my mind again.
SC

#6 ·
Ya, the Brukus stuff is pricy for a couple of bolts....
A stainless he bolt with nylon nuts works fine..
I took only the back ones off each bag. popped the clip and replaced with the bolts. The nylon makes it so even if they do get a wrench on it it will turn the bolt as well (given you have the bags locked and they can't get at the hex bolt).
But even so, what are the chances that they have a hex wrench and a 1/2 inch wrench? slim to none...
I just keep a hex key and wrench in one of the bags in case I need to take it off on the road. You got to keep the saddlebags locked though! Just like locking your doors on your car.

#8 ·
those fender nuts or what ever their called like in the brukus kit are only like $.62 each. i went with 4 of them and 4 stainless button head bolts. ill keep 2 allen wrenches in my tool kit.why 2 you ask cause when my dum ass drops one and or looses one in a shity spot i have a spare :loco ahh you say not so dumb after all :laugh

Reactions: genzer
#13 ·
My bags were stolen while I was at work. Insurance guy said there is a rash of bags being stolen from HD and he has three more claims for stolen bags he is working on right now.

#15 ·
Going to secure this weekend. What about using a carraige bolt with bolt head closest to the bike with nylon washers and a couple of nuts. 1 nut to secure the bolt and 1 to hold the bag. Overkill?

Great thread, but sorry we have to have a thread like this.

My seat, detachable sissy bar and luggage rack are also at risk.

#16 ·
Guys, this one is a no-brainer. Here's what you need:

Here's the factory bag mount point. This piece is the weak link - that little piece of bent wire (see the reflection?) is all the crook needs to defeat.

The piece slides up and off pretty easily without tools.

The spring nut goes right on in its place. I had it tap it down lightly with a plastic hammer. The square nut goes in the back (see reflection)

Buttonhead allen bolt with factory washer and rubber grommet looks right at home. DON'T OVERTIGHTEN!

Repeat on the other side and you're done. Total cost - $7.73. It actually took me longer to upload the pics and write this post than it did to do the mod. If you do all four you're gonna spend double - still half the price of the package deal at the beginning of this thread, and the Crown speed nut is a better piece than the one being sold in the kit.

Cheers.

#17 ·
nice write up, same parts i bought to do mine, just mine sitting on work bench havent had time to change them out.

#20 ·
ok went down and uncovered bike today and installed the theft proof fasteners. i think it took longer taking bags off and reinstalling than it did to put new fasteners on. one more thing checked off the winter upgrade list :nod:nod

#23 · (Edited)
Just got back from homedepot and installed the speed nuts/cap screws that rock posted plus got a set for a buddy and dropped em off at his place, $14 for 2 kits!! He asked what he owed me, i told him to buy me a couple beers sometime!!

#24 ·
I too just got back from home depot and installed the new "security system". Thanks Rock. I wonder if Home Depot has notice a sudden uptic in sales of this particular product.

#26 ·
IMHO...be glad all they stole was your bags.

A buddy in LA lost his hard bags.
Security guard where we both lived, saw a van pull up.
Three guys got out.
One took a bolt cutter to my buddy's lock cable.
Another guy opened the back doors of the van, then all four picked up the full dress Harley and put it the van.
Security guard got out the door in time to see the van exit the parking lot.

Anyone else old enough to remember the "good ol days" when you'd park your bike, which had a toggle switch ignition instead of a key,
and hang yer cutoff on the sissy bar, confident nobody would mess with it?

#27 ·
I still do it that way. Some day I'll likely get burned, but it's how I want to live. Most people by me are good and I want to believe it.

#32 ·
yea can get same thing at local farm store here also but NOT stainless.

#36 ·
Thanks for the heads up guys. I would imagine alot of the extra cost of the kit would be the tamper resistant screws and tool. I'm gonna see what my local hardware has as far as tamper proof stuff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.