Harley Davidson Forums banner

michelin commander II or dunlop 402?

33K views 44 replies 15 participants last post by  Classic 
#1 ·
like it says trying to decide between the two different tires for my roadglide. any feedback would be great

#4 ·
I've got about 75 miles on a set of Commander II's. First impression....very good!

I won't get rowdy with 'em till I wear the nubs off, but so far they are smooth, quiet and seem to be very grippy. Noticeable difference from the Dunlops I replaced.

Attachments

#5 ·
rocker honestly i went with them cause they were cheaper than the dunlop 402's that i was gonna get. talked to rep from michelin and the commander ii's are suppose to be the best thing out(but would he really have said different) commander ii's are said to get like 25k out of the rear and more out of the front. as far as why i like them well cause the front tire needed no wheel weights to balance and the rear only needed 1/2oz. to be balanced. they really make my roadglide feel planted to the street i got them both for $232 shiped to my door from bike bandit the only thing i found strange was that the front tire looks like its on backwards just like in the pictures jdoyal posted.

#8 ·
Just bought myself a good ol commander 2 for the front. Imma have mismatched tires, but the rear is way too new to justify replacing it.
So in my biased opinion id say the commander
Hoping to see how it goes, and since imma mount it myself ill make sure it looks like it is on backward.

#9 ·
25K on a tire? I wish.

Does anyone know if they have tire mileage war for Moto tires?
If so- I've never heard of them.

#10 ·
WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 28, 2011
Michelin Commander 2 Tires
BY NICOLAS R

Brand new for January 2012, the Michelin Commander 2 Tire seems to be the end-all be-all for cruiser tires. Studies conducted in the production phase of these tires using a Harley Electra Glide showed that the rear tire will last nearly twice as long as the Commander II's main competition from Metzeler and Dunlop. The brand new Michelin Commander 2 Rear Tires can cover up to 40,000km (nearly 25,000mi). Utilizing a more rigid tire casing than what is generally seen on comparable tires. This higher-density casing offers better handling and tremendous feedback with the road. At the back tire, aramid tread plies are used which resist centrifugal growth, provide extra stability and reduce the overall weight of the tire. In addition, the Commander II tires are using square bead wires which improve casing rigidity, overall handling and make them a cinch to install. The Michelin Commander 2 Front Tires and rear tires will also perform excellently in the rain, as their new rubber compounds provide unparalleled grip in the wet without sacrificing longevity. There are numerous longitudinal grooves in these tires that force water out. In addition, using Silica Rain Technology, Michelin has integrated silica into the compound of the tire to prevent uneven wear.

#16 ·
Ordered and Installed a set of the C2,s. Have put on around 1ooo miles so far. Gotta say day and nite difference from the stock Dunlops IMO. Next to zero tire noise, cornering is rock solid,handle good in the rain from what I have seen so far,seem to throw the water out to the sides alittle more than my Dunny,s did but really have not had a great chance to test them in long distance solid rain...nor do I want to...haha. I did get decent milage out of the stock Dunnys but there were loud as hell...... severely cupped and shaky in the higher speed curves.

#19 ·
I had my Commander IIs mounted this morning and put about 100 miles on them. First impressions: WOW!!! What a difference. Night and day compared to my stock Dunlops. The ride is smooth as silk. Cornering is a dream as the Commander IIs seem to grip the pavement so much better than the Dunlops. So far I'm love'n these tires! Now, if they actually live up to the mileage hype, I think we'll have a real winner here.

#22 ·
wish they came in wide white wall

#23 ·
any road king classic pics with these tires

#24 ·
No comparison to the stock Dunlop 401's that were on my bike when I bought it (both tires almost new FYI). I also will admit I updated my forks with new Progressive springs and new brake pads at the same time. I disliked the Dunlops from day one compared to the Bridgestone BT-45's on my CBX. Very hard tire and less grip IMO. Regardless, after 75 miles on the new CII's and after taking 3M tire and wheel cleaner to them to reduce the mold release on the tires I took the bike thru my 26 mile short cruise with lots of twistys and cannot complain. Very happy so far!

#27 ·
#29 ·
they better get me 25000 miles then. I gave up my wide white walls and Made In USA tires that worked just fine for me other then I only got 5000 miles out of the rear.

#31 ·
I just put a new set on my 2012 FLSTFB. Replacing Dunlops that gave it up in 5K miles.

As a side bonus the freakin wobble I have been bitching about since Mile 20 has gone a way, this bike is now as rock stable at my VRSCA.

$313.00 for the set..... got them from the dealership. Could have saved a few bucks online, but it was in for prepaid 5K service so they already had it apart.

#32 ·
$313.00 for the set..... got them from the dealership. Could have saved a few bucks online, but it was in for prepaid 5K service so they already had it apart.
Yikes!

I paid $238.98 with free shipping from the Motorcycle Superstore through Amazon.com for my '07 Heritage. Ordered them on 04/12/12 and they arrived on 04/16/12.

Had to save where I could because the stealership charged an arm and a leg, $267.80, to mount them :bluduh .

I've put just over 1,000 miles on them and I love them :thumbsup .

#35 ·
just got mine on. they do handle better and no noise. What are you guy running at psi wise. I hear 42psi on a Road King.

#37 ·
and if your real lucky you find a indy that charges you $40 then gives you $20 back for the good front tire. I just paid $20 to have my tires mounted and balaced and that was on the bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.