Harley Davidson Forums banner

4 point docking hardware

10K views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  Ray-zer 
#1 ·
I was wondering if any members have done their own install of the 4 point docking hardware kit. I did do a search and the question I have is, is the install straightforward, or are there problems I might run into? I would call myself a novice at parts installs, and would probably have the dealer do it if it was too difficult. My bike is a 09 road king standard. Thanks in advance.
Pat

#2 ·
I put the 4 point on my bike... It was fairly easy the directions and the way things look kinda threw me at first but once i got into it it was easy for me... I have been wrenching for awhile tho but should not be to hard... just lay the parts out and follow the instructions.. you should be fine...I prefer to do as much on my bike as my knowledge allows but for me its becoming one with my bike when i work on her or add parts... good luck...

#9 ·
Piece of Cake. Like Gears said, half hour and straight forward. Hardest part was putting the bags back on.

#11 ·
Didn't know about video until too late!!

I just did mine last Saturday. I tried to follow the instructions:fitz. When I finally got the idea...like they said 1/2 hour or so. I am very cautious and don't break stuff so it takes me a bit longer but can be done.

I think the guy that wrote the instructions used to write for the Chilton's manual people :mad.

#12 ·
Hello all, new to the Harley world and this forum. I am debating on installing this myself as I am fairly handy with tools etc. My question is in regard to the ft-lb recommendation for the tightness of the screws. Do I need to get some sort of torque wrench/screwdriver for this or can I just tighten it as much as I can?

Thanks in advance!

#17 ·
I have an '07 FLHRC and installed the docking hardware for my detachable luggage rack and also my detachable sissy bar. It wasn't bad.

The 4-point is a little different than my kit on the '07, I believe, but it should still be straight forward.

I did encounter a small issue with the alignment of the fender and bolt holes. You can read about my adventure here: http://www.Harley-Davidsonforums.co...s/52615-tell-me-im-doing-something-wrong.html

#19 ·
My most important piece of advice to anyone wrenching on thier bike is to cover your fenders and chrome with towels or rags or something to protect them in case you drop a wrench or bolt on them. You dont want to be adding a nice addition to your bike just to have something else like your paint job get damaged.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#20 ·
I cheaped out and bought a cheap manual torque wrench a year ago. I really need to get a better one. I don't think it's very accurate. I always say you get what you pay for, but every now and then I have to learn that lesson the hard way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.