Harley Davidson Forums banner

Starting issues HELP

14K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  big john@dog 
#1 ·
Bought a 2012 Dyna fxdc about 3 weeks ago. Have a starting problem when I first hit the start button there's about a 2 second pause before it turns over and it's slow. It's almost to the point that I think it's not going to start. I've had the battery checked by 3 different people. They all load tested it all say the battery is OK. I've cleaned all battery connections and grounds. I rebuilt the starter solenoid which the old contacts looked good. I even unhooked the headlight to see if that would give the starter a little more boost. I find no error codes. I've had people on other forums say if it starts ride it and don't worry about it. Maybe I'm overreacting but I don't want for us to get out and get stranded. I out of ideas other than maybe a timing issue but acts like just can't get started on the compression stroke. Hope someone will have some other ideas. As far as I know it's stock. Thanks for any help and would be appreciated.

#3 ·
You could try replacing the Starter Relay it will be under the seat of under one of the side covers if there is another one in close proximity try switching them out and See if that Helps or the button on the right handle bar might be bad and need replacing check you wiring coming from the start button all the way to the Starter solenoid if possible a wire might be internally Broken and a moving point If you see one of the wires positive or negative swelled replace the wire it is corroded in between the Strands and won't let the power go to were it needs to

How was the battery tested with a actual load test or with a DMM Meter it makes a difference take to a auto parts they generally don't charge to test it

Relay should look something like this

Good luck let us know what you find

Attachments

#19 ·
I have the same problem. I get a ticking noise similar to when a battery is dead. I just bought a new battery. the Harley dealer sold me starter relay. and I just can not find it on a 2012 Wide Glide. any help in locating it? it is not behind the box door, and I can not find any information any where on the internet, shop manual or owners manual.... help please

#4 ·
I have even purchased and installed one of those push buttons that attaches to the back of the starter solenoid that bypass all the wiring and directly engages the starter. Still same thing. Have cleaned all the battery connections and grounds, battery was checked on a regular battery load tester. 315 cold cranking amps.

#5 ·
If you have done all that it probably is the Starter then I have a remote starter button installed on my bike . I love having the back up . You might still have a solenoid issue or its the Starter a New solenoid isn't expense I bought a new one off Ebay for mine when I was having issues their not the easiest thing to change . Is there a ground running to the starter and has that been cleaned really well .

#7 ·
I would not move it. But that`s just me.

You say the connections were cleaned. Did you remove and clean them. Or just on the outside surfaces?

In particular the ground on the trans case.
Two dissimilar metals with current passing through them and exposed to the elements.
A prime spot for electrolysis to happen.

#9 ·
Earlier Dynas had two negative battery cables. Battery to a lug welded on left side of frame, then another cable from lug to starter (because of rubber mounted engine). My Dyna had symptoms like yours, and I found the lug was very rusty. I cleaned it and cable and starting was better. I now have a cable running directly from - battery to starter mounting bolt. I don't know if 2012 is like older models.

#11 ·
You have eliminated the starter relay, by installing the push button. You've checked all connections and cables. Have you checked the starter brushes? Also using a good quality volt meter, test for drop accross each battery cable. If there is a drop then cable is corroded or loose.

#12 ·
I read somewhere if you start it on compression stroke it turns over hard at 1st, mine will. In fact my sporty did the same thing. I hope we are talking about the same issue.

#15 ·
:nod
In the good ol days when you had a kick start you would get a feel for what stroke it was on.
Then cycle it through to get it off the compression stroke before turning on the ignition, giving the throttle a twist or two.
Then putting some ass into it.

But his problem sounds like it is constant. Every time he tries to start it.
Doubting that it is because it is on a compression stroke every time.
Odds of that are astronomical.

#13 ·
I would go with the corroded wire suggestion If all grounds are tight and the pos cable is also good not corroded and hesitates that long to spin It is probably either the armature wiring burning out in the starter. or brushes

#16 ·
Sounds to me like the OP bought someone else's problem that the dealership couldn't figure out ! 2012 is 5 model years old already ! 2012 wasn't a bad model year at all, especially the Dyna models.
Bring the bike to my shop and I'll fix it, once and for all !

#17 ·
Don't know if it was mentioned about ground cable mounting points. Should be no paint where lug contacts the frame. Mounting stud or threaded bolt hole is the only path. Makes a difference.

#18 ·
Took to my mechanic today and he said what a lot of you were telling me. BATTERY. He said it didn't make any difference if I had it checked by 3 different places that I need to change the battery seeing it's going on 5 yrs. Does seem to be doing better after leaving on a trickle charger, still a little pause but not as bad. I guess after getting over paying for the bike, buying license, paying sales tax, the next thing will be a battery. Thanks for all suggestions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.