Harley Davidson Forums banner

S&S reed valve for 99 Evo

7K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  drifterawh 
#1 ·
Is the S&S reed valve as good as it sounds? I'm thinking about getting one. My steel gear shows some pitting from poor hardening.

#5 ·
Been toying with the idea of putting one in my stroker shovel. From what I've read it seems like it would be more for modified engines. Re: stroked,bored or both.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#6 ·
stick with the regular,steel rotary valve
Not trying to steel the thread but since the topic of the Rotary (stock) or reed (aftermarket) valve is up, Why do Harleys have these valves at all? What would happen if harleys didn't have a valve at all and just had an open vent?

Jonathan

#9 ·
Mine is timed. Still have oil blowing out breather tube at high rpm. Not alot. The reed valve sounds like a good idea. Worked great on my old two stroke dirt bike for performance. Same principle. Open at vacuum, close with pressure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#11 ·
I have run the S&S reed valve for 3 years now and it works great. No more pissing around with the stupid plastic gear etc - just install and forget.

It's your call, but should you really be listening to others who have not installed or used one?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

#14 ·
anythings better than the plastic gears,but the best set up is a properly timed quality steel rotery gear,on big inch motors,remove the screen (BTW,TISSUCK,we`ve done alot of testing with the reed valves to come to this conclusion)

#13 ·
I've installed the S&S reed valve in a number of engines and had one that just wouldn't work in a stock '83 shovel. The engine would blow oil out of the case breather and I never figured out why. I put in a stock breather and the engine was fine !!! Go figure ?

#15 ·
i installed the revtech +10 degrees adjustable breather, seems to work well i simply installed it at the factory (revtech) setting so far...i have tried advancing or retarding the timing of it, not sure what advantages or issues i may get into by adjusting it so i simply left it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.