Harley Davidson Forums banner

Kids as passenger

19K views 38 replies 28 participants last post by  Grunt 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have made a search in this forum but didn't find anything, so I am going to ask my question.

I wanted to know if those of you who have kids, dare taking them as passengers for more or less long trips. I wonder if you are travelling with your kids, from what age, what kind of trips (school trips, short travels like 100 miles, long travels like over 400 miles) and most importantly what accessories you have installed if any on your bikes (and what bike btw) to do so.

Any feedback or experience is interesting to me. If you did it and decided for instance to never do it again, I am interested in reading why. If you have done it for long without any trouble it is good to know.

On my side, I have 2 kids: one is 12 and the other is 5.
I have not purchased my Harley yet but I am working hard on it! :) Hopefully it won't be long now.

Thanks.

#34 · (Edited)
Haven't taken my oldest out on a ride yet more than just circling the parking lot in our apartment complex, but I remember going on longer trips with my dad when I was 7 or so. jean jacket, fitting helmet, gloves etc. not sure how nervous it made him but I definitely had a blast every time we took off for a cruise.

EDIT* my oldest is 5 and can reach the foot pegs comfortably.

#37 ·
I rode with my dad every chance i got when i was a kid, now my little girl is big enough to ride (with her feet on the pegs) we will definetly be starting her out with a few short rides this summer. I cant wait and neither can she. she will be learning to ride on th esame bike as i did when i was a kid (i bought back my old man's shovelhead that he sold when i was a teenager)

#39 ·
I may be unpopular with this statement but I would not take my kids on my road bike when they where small, to me the risk to gain just was not worth the risk.

That said I did teach my son to ride a dirt bike by the time he was four. And I would still be a advocate of keeping my son now 24 off of road bikes ( He still lacks the little bit of fear that keeps us alive)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.