Harley Davidson Forums banner

Storage and first oil change

5K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  RideADyna 
#1 ·
My wifes Nightster didn't make it even half way to the first oil change at 1000 miles. My question is this, what are your oipinions about leaving the breakin oil over the winter to continue the recomended breaking period in the spring, or do you guys feel changeing it out at around 350 miles would be a better idea incase there are contaminates in her oil that really shouldn't set that long?

I'm thinking leaving it in there is a good idea, let me know what you think...?

#2 ·
I would leave it. Should not hurt anything. I got my 1000 mile service done yesterday at 750 miles but if I were under 500 I would have waited.

#4 ·
Metal shavings?? only way you would have that is if there is a bigger issue than an oil change or it was in the oil that was put in the bike.

Me personally, I would leave it and change it in spring. I bought a bike that sat for almost 4 years without being started or fluids changed. I changed the oil and went on that oil for 600 miles then changed again. I don't see any problem with leaving the oil in the bike.

#5 ·
Heat the bike up COMPLETLY,,that means a hot bottom end.

Change the oil and filter for storage..

Why ?

Fresh oil n filter is mighty cheap Insurance on a $10k plus Investment thats why !

I also would fear ethanol gas even with a additive...

I parked mine for a month with StarTron In the FULL tank of E-10
It smelled like paint thinner at three weeks,,,
Ran ok but still,,makes me very nervous,,Injectors are expensive..

#11 ·
I'd consider how the bike was ridden (especially the last time it was used). If it was used mainly for short trips and/or during especially humid/damp weather, then I'd change it (or ride it for a good while on the freeway/highway). Changing the oil would also put you in good shape if the bike sits longer than you planned (and you'd be rid of the wear metal that nipplesurfer mentions)

Btw, while you're at it, top the fuel tank to 3/4 or 4/5ths full and consider using a fuel stabilizer (ask your HD dealer about this). I'm sure that you know all about this, but thought I'd mention it anyway.

#12 ·
Just change it, be done and don't worry.

#14 ·
oil should certainly be good for more than 350 miles. I cant imagine large peices of slag in there. Do what you feel best with.

#15 ·
My primary concern is with the breakin period. I am no where near the milage needed for the breakin. If changeing it would effect my break in that is what I am ultimatly worried about. I am pretty sure the moisture is out of it as I rode it on the interstates for about 45 minutes before parking it last

#21 ·
With a new bike, less than 2 miles on the odometer would it be safe to just store it with the battery tender plugged in and a cover over the bike?
Stored in a yard barn.
New bike, 2012 sporty 1200, not ridden yet.(by me anyhow)

I am picking up this bike on 11-7-12 and plan on storeing it till next spring as it snowed here today and the forcast does not look good.

New to the whole Harley Davidson thing and don't want to ruin the bike cause I stored my $14K investement wrong.

#22 ·
Be sure to put some Sta-bil or other fuel additive designed for storage, or you risk fuel system problems. Put an ounce of Sta-bil in the tank, fill it up as full as possible, run it till it's warm, hook up your Battery Tender, cover with a breathable cover and wait for warm weather.

#27 ·
I agree with the folks who said to change it (except for the 2 miles post). Get the contaminated oil out of there (and change the other fluids too) and put it away for the winter. Just did mine this last weekend (sad day for sure) but you'd be safe knowing you have fresh fluids for the long winter nap.

Search the forum for the rest of the winterizing (fuel stabilizer, battery tender, steel wool in the exhaust, etc.).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.