Harley Davidson Forums banner

Torque Wrenches

11K views 97 replies 23 participants last post by  SCHMIDTY 
#1 ·
I've been to four stores so far today. I want two wrenches, one in/lbs and one ft/lbs that can handle the full range of torques that the bike requires.

From the Manuel's list of critical fasteners, I'll need an in/lbs wrench that can handle 10 - 144 in/lbs and a ft/lbs wrench that can handle 12-105 ft/lbs. Not easy to do. Most don't go low enough.

I don't want to order on the interweb because I want to start working now. Many have suggested Farm and Fleet which is my next try. Wish me luck.

Any suggestions (that aren't Sears, Lowe's, AutoZone, or Ace)?

#2 ·
Precision instruments torque wrench.
Their torque wrenches are made in the US. Just do a search and you should be able to find one at a decent price. I got a foot pound torque wrench for about 100 bucks. At Sears they wanted about 120 for one made in China.

#3 ·
I used one made in China and I believe the calibration was off. I ended up having a the stud for one of the sewn their head bolts pull out of the block because the tort was too much. So I had to drill the block and put some threaded inserts in. So before I put it back together I bought a new precision instruments torque wrench. It's the easiest and quickest torque wrench to adjust. I think I got mine from tooltopia.
Bottom-line pricing on Precision Instruments C2FR100F at ToolTopia.com

#4 ·
That wrench is 20-100 ft/lbs. What about the 12 ft-pound bolts and the 105 fl/pounder?

#10 ·
Chief, multiply the ft-lb x 12 to get in-lb. and use a smaller torque wrench that is calibrated in in-lb. Not sure I have a torque wrench that goes up to 105, but I have been using my old Sears-Craftsman wrenches for years with no problems, and even took them to Mobile once to have them checked...so far they are right on.

#5 ·
Am I being too picky?

I've never cared about torque before. In the past it was either "finger tight," "snug," "tight," or "bury the sombitch."

#42 ·
tools are not cheap so why should you be in your choice of a quality tool. I would kick back keep using your method as its worked for you all this time and source the the right tool for the job and not the "this'll be ok version" :think tools are a life time investment spend your fun tickets wisely brother..

#8 ·
Chief,

Take a cruise out my way. Check out Lincoln Plaza Auto parts, they have em, I was there the other day. As your heading down 50, when you get past the light at Court they will be to your right.... this is assuming your coming from the south, heading north.

#11 ·
Thanks, everyone. But we're missing the point and the reason why this isn't a repeat thread.

I'm not sure that we can get the full required range of in/lbs or ft/lbs necessary in one of each wrench. I don't want to buy more than one of each. So either, I'm being too anal and should loosen up and guess/fudge it a bit for torque values less than the range of my wrench, OR, I need a small in/lbs wrench AND a big in/lbs wrench, AND a big and a small one for ft/lbs too.

I don't want four wrenches. It seems like I need four. Tell me what to do.

#17 ·
Now we're getting somewhere.

So when is has a wimpy in/lbs value, just take it easy?

#19 ·
My 1/2" ft/lbs wrench ranges from 0-250 ft/lbs and my 3/8" in/lbs wrench ranges from 0-300 in/lbs. They're Snap-on Industrial Brand CDI but I don't think they're available off-line. Oh, and they're not click type wrenches. They're dual scale memory needle type and they weren't cheap. I love'm though :D .

I agree with the others though. Get yourself to sears ;) .

#23 ·
I went with a 3/8 for in/lbs with a range of 25-250 in/lbs., and a 1/2 drive for ft/lbs with a range of 20-150 ft lbs, both Craftsman. Thanks everyone. I'm hoping my 3/8 and 1/2 sockets and bits are complete enough where I won't be buying much else. I think I'll need to adapt some of the bits when I need them on the other wrench. If that gets old, I'll go bit shopping later.

#35 ·
You should be all set with those two. Now is the time to get a new set of tool boxs also. Then you will need new tools to go into the new boxs. Don't forget to buy some Torx and Allen driver bits also. We get the Impact drivers, they last longer and don't break as often.
With what you save on just two trips to the Dealer, you can pay for the whole set of tools. ( thats what I tell the wife anyway :rollin )

:think

#25 ·
Agree, should be just fine Chief. A must have tools for sure.
I've gotten quite comfortable using me 1/4 drive on the light weight stuff that doesn't absoultly require having equal pressure all the way around.
I know my big old torq wrench is a tad off (4-6 lbs) but it is consistent from one to the next and that works for me. Its seen many engines over the years. its also craftsman

#26 ·
I don't wanna get all sappy, but this forum is kick ass. When I go from clueless on a topic to problem solved and confident in a couple hours with a variety of advice from a bunch of guys that have earned my trust over the past two years, it's nice. It's a nice luxury to have.

So, Michael row the fricking boat ashore, brothers!:kumbaya

#32 ·
I have always held to the thought that torque specs were reasonably tolerant. That is, there's enough fudge in them to not worry too much if the wrench if off a bit one way or the other. You aren't going to harm the fastening system.

I like nice stuff as well as the next guy, but its my opinion that if you are using a few times a year, the $30 torque wrench from Harbor or similar is perfectly fine.

If you are making a living using every day, obviously a better one makes since as it will pay for itself by holding up to the abuse.

I have used a torque wrench a few times a year for more than 20 years and it has always been a consumer grade "cheapie." I've never had a problem with anything being fugged up because of it. I've torqued even aluminum heads on cars with my cheapo. The car didn't know the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

#33 ·
I have always held to the thought that torque specs were reasonably tolerant. That is, there's enough fudge in them to not worry too much if the wrench if off a bit one way or the other. You aren't going to harm the fastening system.
I agree. I think it is more important to have a consistent torque value, than to have that value absolutely correct.

Most torque specs have a tolerance level included with the torque spec, something like +/- 10%.

If your torque wrench is calibrated within +/- 5% like most consumer grade ones I've seen, you're golden.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.