Harley Davidson Forums banner

Tire air pressure

15K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  Old Coot 
#1 ·
Hi, I was confused, I have 2010 fanboy lo, what is the proper air pressure of front tire and rear tire? According to owner's manual front should be at 36 psi, rear should be at 42psi.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#2 ·
I would say go with what the manual says.:thumbsup

#7 ·
Depends on the tire too. Is it the same tire that the factory put on? Some tires use more air pressure to support the same weight, in which case you would have to put in that extra pressure if you are supporting that much weight.

Here's what I was told: Find out how much weight is on the wheel (weigh it somehow) for your normal riding conditions and add a bit onto that for when you have a few too many burritos for lunch. Read on the sidewall of the tire what it's maximum weight carrying capacity is at full pressure. Calculate what percentage of that maximum capacity the wheel is actually carrying (from when you weighed it) and multiply that percentage times the maximum pressure written on the sidewall. The result is the pressure you should be running. If you increase what you are carrying like loading up for a trip or riding two up for any distance, increase pressure accordingly. At least that's how it was explained to me by a guy that started riding around the time God was born.

#11 ·
depends on the tire too. Is it the same tire that the factory put on? Some tires use more air pressure to support the same weight, in which case you would have to put in that extra pressure if you are supporting that much weight.

Here's what i was told: Find out how much weight is on the wheel (weigh it somehow) for your normal riding conditions and add a bit onto that for when you have a few too many burritos for lunch. Read on the sidewall of the tire what it's maximum weight carrying capacity is at full pressure. Calculate what percentage of that maximum capacity the wheel is actually carrying (from when you weighed it) and multiply that percentage times the maximum pressure written on the sidewall. The result is the pressure you should be running. If you increase what you are carrying like loading up for a trip or riding two up for any distance, increase pressure accordingly. At least that's how it was explained to me by a guy that started riding around the time god was born.
what?

#12 ·
Depends if you are running a good synthetic air or some cheap dino air........just sayin':think

#16 ·
The manual is your best reference. I run a few pounds softer in the rear like your dealer said. The bike rides a little smoother. Dont go so soft it affects handling. To little air pressure will cause a build up of heat and blowout. To much air will cause over pressure and blowout. I run the front tire at what the manual recommends the bike handles best. Never go over the pressure on the sidewall for oem or non oem tires.

So the sidewall will give you the max pressure. The manual is a recommendation from the manufacturer and you can play with a few pounds for your comfort.

Clear as mud right?

#22 ·
Go with the recommendations in the Harley manual. Adjust for your load (weight of you, your rider and baggage -- don"t be lazy about adjusting for different loads).
The number on the sidewall is MAX pressure the tire is rated for--the "do not exceed' pressure. That spec is determined by the tire manufacturer. However, when the tire leaves the tire factory, they don't know what motorcycle it's going to end up on. Therefore, the motorcycle manufacturer's spec trumps the number on the tire sidewall. BTW, the same principle applies to tires for cages, too.
Check pressures often--you only have 2 contact patches and unlike 4-wheelers, you lean on them
Good question--lots of confusion out there about that.

#31 ·
#29 ·
28 spoke wheI agree that its a bitch to check the air on the 28 spoke wheels....I found that you can bend the stem over a little bit and your guage will go on a lot better...I hate the 28 spoke wheels...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.