Harley Davidson Forums banner

Help tightening SE adjustable Pushrods?

14K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  GlideWide 
#1 ·
My previous post was in reference to a ticking sound that started after getting some cams along with adj rods and lifters. I got the answer to my problem..... I need to tighten the Adjust Rods .5 to 1 full turn. SAWEET! Problem fixed! NO! I cant get back to the dealership to get it done....! F'me!
Well, I really dont get to bothered by this ticking noise but I would like to fix it myself. Could anyone plz guide me into the right direction.
1) How do I get at the adjustment part?
2) how do I tell how tight the rod was tightened? Can I count the threads? Um, so basically if anyone can help, just idiot down your directions as if you were giving them to a 2 year old that would be great, I'm a newb but really want to learn as much as I can so I can wrench with my son one day and talk to him like he is 2 all over again! YeeYee!

Jared
2012 FXDWG

#4 ·
Yes, you can do it.
I just did mine. I used se quick rods but same idea.

Tpi is the key. I marked the rod with a paint pen to make it easy to see one full turn.

Very important to wait and let the lifters bleed down before moving to next cylinder.

#5 ·
Ok, so since I dont have the sheets would it be ok to assume that the tech that installed these adjusted them like the Instructions? Dave gave me the answer to everything and said to adjust them .5 to 1 full turn.... Also, every rod needs the exact same adjustment correct?

I will just take the top of the tube off and hold the tube up with a rubberband and a paper clip. Then that will allow me to get at the adjustment nut and I will back the nut that tightens it off and turn the adj. nut 3 flats and tighten nut back..?

Jared
2012 FXDWG

#9 ·
View attachment 34266

The idea is to get the pushrod in the middle of the lifter. Hope the link works.
The process is to get the tappet sitting on the base circle of the cam, and to adjust it to the desired depth in the tappet.

OEM sets them at .100", which is in the moddle of the tappet bore of .200" in OEM tappets.

Most engine builders and mechanics run them at .140"-.150" depth.

http://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/engine/17084-hydraulic-pushrod-adjustment.html

SE pushrods are generally 24 TPI (Threads per inch). BUT, you need to determine that. (Count the threads in once inch of length)

32tpi = 3.2 turns to .100" (.03125" per turn/.00520 per flat)

30tpi = 3.0 turns to .100" (.03333" per turn/.00555 per flat)

28tpi = 2.8 turns to .100" (.03571" per turn/.00595 per flat)

24tpi= 2.4 turns to .100" (.04165" per turn/.00694 per flat)

:D

If 24tpi= 2.4 turns to .100" (.04165" per turn/.00694 per flat)

.04165 x 3.5 total turns = .145" depth.

I ran 24 tpi SE pushrods, set at 3.6 turns = .1499 tappet depth.

YOUR CHOICE is to either start from scratch and back them off and start from new...... or to trust the mechanic and assume he set them at 2.5 turns as per the SE's instructions, and go another complete turn on each one.

Personally........I'd start from scratch.

#12 ·
Yap, will do the adjustments from scratch. After reading this several times I have a good idea on what I need to do..... Only thing that may be questionable is getting the base circle... How do you know if it is in? Also, I got SE 204 cams. Do these have the compression releases like some of the EZ SS install cams?

Jared
2012 FXDWG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.