Harley Davidson Forums banner

The bike is now "tach-y"

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  chasarms 
#1 ·
I have been browsing ebay forever looking for a suitable cheap tach for the Heritage. I finally ran across a good deal last week. It showed up this week and I got it on the bike last night.

I like the look. With it mounted out like it is, it has bit of a hotrod feel. It looks good and works well. It was only a slight PITA to install.

I am not sure why I even wanted a tach. I can't really imagine it serving a whole lot of use for me, but I have it now! :)

See less See more
#5 ·
This one is the smaller Baron.

This one: 2" MINI-BULLET TACH<br>Black Face<br>1" Clamp by - Baron Custom Accessories

The face of it is definitely not 3". It has an MSRP of maybe $229, but I scored it on ebay for less than $100 new in the package. I think it was closeout from someone who bulk buys closeouts. It was not from a regular etailer. It was a killer deal. NR auction and I was the only bidder.

I think the reason I got it cheap is because the words "Harley" and "Davidson" were not included anywhere in the description! :)

#4 ·
Hey Charles,
Funny. I thought the same thing about its function...
Until I bought the Heritage that had the tach.

Now I am kind of obsessed with it regarding performance at higher RPM vs. low, etc.
I think I'll always have one now.
Hope you like it.

Looks great, by the way.
DeeDay

#7 ·
I love having a tach. IMO most guys on Harleys are keeping the revs too slow to be in the meat of the torque band.

#8 ·
I agree. I took the bike out for an extended play-time yesterday (it was 70 and sunny in December!!) I found myself reving it higher than I normally would for sure.

I am not super crazy about the way this particular tach behaves though. It bounces around a little more than I would prefer. I have never had a non-factory tach on a bike before, so maybe it is normal. But, it tends to wiggle within a 2-300 RPM range all the time until you wind it up aroun 4500 or so, then it :) smooths out.

I guess it works well enough. I mean, how accurate does it really need to be? But, I am pretty easily distracted. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.