Harley Davidson Forums banner

Harley and Their Ridiculous Prices

10K views 86 replies 43 participants last post by  OLDDEADEYE 
#1 ·
So, I bought the 4 point quick detachment system for my FLHX and got to looking at passenger back rests(actually have a woman I want to be nice to) and the prices are outrageous. About $180 for just the sissy bar then extra for the pad! Granted, I know HD isn't cheap, but this is like adding a little salt into the wound. Ya spend $22k on a motorcycle and they want to stiff ya on a f***ing pad. :mad:

Checked out Kuryakyn and their stuff is just as much and doesn't appear to be compatible with Harley's quick detach system.

Anyone got ideas for a cheaper alternative? Guess I'll start scouring ebay for now.

#36 ·
Agreed. Prices are high. I knew this prior to getting in the HD World. Hell, one of the local dealership has a " Program " for $100.00 that gives an up to 15% discount, however, first you must spend mutiple thousand of dollars to receice that discount, Right and then your forced to do your shopping their. That statement on making the backrest out of wood was freaking funny. Loved it...

#37 ·
HD would stop charging as much as they do if people didn't pay the price. People pay so thy charge.

I got my 2013 Dyna SG a couple months ago, and I ponied up the price for the sissy bar PLUS the pad. You would think it would come with it as standard.....I may have searched around for something else, but it was installed by the time I picked up my bike. No charge for install.

Not sure if it's common practice at other dealers, but because I bought a new bike I get 10% off everything in the store for the life of my bike.

#42 ·
Andy, I know where your coming from. I think it was 3 years ago, the OL bought me what she thought was highway pegs and brackets. On Christmas day I opened the box, which did show pegs and all, but stated just brackets. She paid a bundle for these things and was pissed. They went back. I cruised ebay and bought a set way way cheaper. It did not make for a merry Christmas.. she won't shop at Harley anymore either.

#43 ·
Seriously 5 pages of round and round.
We know it's expensive and we know not everything is as it is in pictures. IMHO there is really no truth in advertizing. caveat emptor.

Does it suck? I don't know. I tend to over research things. One I find the best price, two I know the product before hand, and three if I am not sure I will ask before I lay the money down.

Good luck!

#46 ·
I find nearly everything these days is ridiculously priced. Stupid money just for a smart phone or 1000 TV channels. I'm sure we all have a BIG list of things that cost way to much; However the one thing I get the absolute most pleasure out of is my FLHRC. More often than not..OEM accessories and if its aftermarket... well they aren't cheap either. Money hard to come by but well spent. The cable box? ... if need be... first on the list to go.
SC

#47 ·
I put a 4 point on my SG and added a sissy bar and pad also a Sundowner seat for about $800. The dealer gave me a 15% off discount card that I used for that stuff. Someday I may put a tour pack on. That is the reason that I put on the 4 point. This will run about $1500. I think this is a lot of money but I really enjoy my bikes and and in the long run that's what it is all about.

#48 ·
I found that if you know everything you want on bike when you first purchase it you can save a lot with dealer discounts 15% off labor 10- 15 % off parts even if you order mustang seat or custom wheels saddle bags from other after market brands but yess i think we all feel your pain

#49 ·
I hear you can buy a cheap-ass chinese made HYosung or something like that if HD is too much for you. Just sayin':think
You usually get what you pay for.

#52 ·
Then that old lady either fussed at me or hit on me at McDonald's. I still don't know which.

#53 ·
Hey Guys,

This is all about economics. Harley charges more because they can. They have a brand that people like, an image people want. Why should they charge less? You guys are doing exactly what you should be doing - seeking out other sources for what you want. My first bike will most likely not be new. No way I'll get a $20,000 Road King past the wife. However, the 2008 Road King on Craig's List with a mere 800 miles on it going for $11k, now we can talk. And I'll probably e-Bay most of my aftermarket stuff, too.

The good news is that Harley stuff is good stuff new or used. And, when Harley starts seeing more stuff laying around the warehouse, they'll bring prices down a bit.

Supply and demand, gentlemen. Supply and demand.

JamesNT

#55 ·
Supply and demand, gentlemen. Supply and demand.
JamesNT
I disagree.....it's not called supply and demand it's called gouging......the Harley motorcompany have snubbed their noses at the diehard customers/dealerships that kept them alive when times were tough all in the name of the allmighty $....back in the day when the logo was associated with outlaws and gangs they couldn't break into big $'s....when they bought the name back from AMF they set about changing their image to be more appealing to the disposable income class.....since then every weekend warrior/yuppie has bought their product/image in an effort to give off a badass persona.....when the motorcompany started shutting down mom and pop shops because they wanted to stay mom and pop and not high end boutiques it made me sick.........I ride their motorcycles for their product.....I don't consider cologne a motorcompany product....just my .02

#54 ·
you know, I like Harley Davidson, I like my dealer, and I like their parts. I pay the price and get what works. sorry you feel that way but I do not.

#58 ·
I drove dealer and sales guy and sales manager nuts last few bikes I've bought at dealer!!!

Wheelin" N dealin" with them on price and free bee's.

They are in the bizz to make money, but I was in the bizz to save some funds or gettin" what I can!!:laugh

They still came out ahead !!

#59 ·
I kinda feel sorry for my dealer....they know the shit is too high...and they sell it...but its like...sorry man....they hate screwing you as much as you hate being screwed..I think..they are good about helping ya if they can....but they understand if you buy it from somewhere else....

#62 ·
We drank a couple more gallons of beer and rode some more miles then grabbed clown food.

I got hit on by a senior citizen. Or, she was pissed at me. Not sure. Andy sounded baked.

I miss anything, guys?

#66 ·
Big time. I wanted to die for a couple days there. I've been eating normal for the past few days and I'm at full strength again, so my sarcasm has grown back.

Thanks for asking, Dave.

#70 ·
Oh, and the bartender may or may not have invited us to her trailer home at the end of a dark gravel road to be murdered and buried. Jury is still out.
I was there for this part.... Andy had dibbs...

We drank a couple more gallons of beer and rode some more miles then grabbed clown food.

I got hit on by a senior citizen. Or, she was pissed at me. Not sure. Andy sounded baked.

I miss anything, guys?
So I can still show my face in Princeton??:tinfoilhat:

#72 ·
:thumb Its only 120 mile run... I'm in... again.

#79 ·
Especially when most of the other parts are reasonably priced,

What planet are you smoking on??

Wanna know what's a crime--ya know those little rubber grommets that your windsheild or sissy bar attatches to? $8 & change apiece. Yea; I think the OP has a right to biotch!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.