Harley Davidson Forums banner

Finally rode one...couple of questions.

5K views 40 replies 26 participants last post by  Natty 
#1 ·
Well I finally got off my lazy butt and when down to the dealer and test rode some bikes. I rode a stock wide glide and a street bob with the 103, forward controls and drag bars. I mainly went in there wanting a street bob just like the one rode, but the this one had red wheels and the red/white custom paint scheme. I asked the guy if he could order me another street bob just like that one but a different color, and he said no. Then I mentioned the HD bike builder on the web site and how you can set it up the way you want it, print out the sheet and bring it to the dealer and let them order it...well he said they don't do that. He says they only get 1 custom bike to order every so often and that option won't be available for a while. He had 5 other street bob's in stock but none had the 103 or drag bars.

Now the wide glide felt pretty similar to the street bob, but the bars on the WG had a slight bend inwards where as the street bobs were more straight. It also felt like I was leaned back a little bit more on the WG...and they both could have used a little more leg room but he said they do have an "extreme" forward controls kit they could put on it.

So my question is, do I try to find another dealer that is willing to order the bike I want, or do I suck it up and just get the WG?

I come from years of riding sport bikes (current bike is a '11 gsxr 750) and I was really surprised at how easy the Harley was to ride. I was really expecting it to feel a lot heavier than it actually was. It felt very natural and I could really see my self riding one for a long time.

See less See more
#35 ·
Congrats on the bike. You're going to love it.

Just so you know, the order thing is BS.
It's true that a dealer can only order one custom at a time, but this only applies to their inventory. If a customer orders and pays the down payment, the dealer can order it. They were just trying to move inventory. The good thing is, you got what you wanted and are happy with the deal.

#36 ·
Finally got it home and I love the way it turned out. Everyone at the shop liked it like this as well. I got a good feel for it on the 50 mile ride home on interstate with some pretty strong winds. It deff doesn't handle like a sportbike but I'm sure I'll get used to it. The brakes are really the biggest change. I think the rear brake on the GSXR has more stopping power than the front brake alone on this bike. I also feel like the back of the seat could be a little flatter, but I'm gonna give it time to break in before I go changing anything. I do need to adjust the clutch and front brake leaver down a little bit, and the shifter too. Can you adjust the rear brake pedal? I glanced at it quickly but I didn't notice any type of adjustment on it like the shifter had. Either way I look forward to racking up the miles!

#37 ·
Nice.

The handling will get easier. When I first got my super glide in October it was surely different. Now that I have some miles on it, and tightened up the rear shock it is alot better.

The brakes on the new bikes do work, but you really have to put some muscle in it to make them stop fast. Remember...A bike that is 40-50% heavier with a 2/3 the braking.

#39 ·
nice looking bike! I like my street bob, hope you enjoy yours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.