Harley Davidson Forums banner

Generic Tour Paks - anybody

6K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  marion 
#1 ·
Hey all, as the owner of an 06 electra glide standard I sometimes miss out on some of the extras. Sometimes I wish for a king tour pak, but after pricing out all the docking hardware, rack, pack, passenger backrest etc. from the HD catolog it looks like it will cost a small fortune. I have noticed on ebay some decent looking tour packs and backrest and racks that use HD docking hardware at less than half the HD set-up. Have any of you ever gone that route? Are you happy with it? Any pics? Or is this a case of you get what you pay for?

#2 ·
I bought a generic tour pak for my Road King and attached it to my detachable luggage rack. It looked ok and the Mrs. liked the backrest portion. I later took it off and sold it. Just didn't go with the bike.
I think I paid around 129.00 for it and they are fairly cheap plastic.
Bottom line its not a HD part and looks like it.

#4 ·
+1 Get a HD touring pack, used is fine, but keep it HD. I needed a passenger backrest and rack with mine, bought it off ebay very happy with it and it looks like its original to the bike.

#5 ·
I've bought a few ebay bike items over the years and what I have found out is that even though HD charges out the ass for their add on products, they are made way better than the other stuff out there and it is better quality. For example; foot boards, pegs, grips, lights. The HD stuff is heavier and more durable.

#6 ·
Agree with the above comments.
Every non HD pack that I have seen looks the part.:bigbarf

#7 ·
Yeah... I paid with my right kidney for the color matched tourpak for my street glide. Between the quick release rack, 4 point dock, tour pak, and liner I spent about $1100. Good lord that's alot of $$$. But it is very nice and looks just right on the bike. Don't be cheap. Help me justify my purchase.

#9 ·
I bought the HD 4 point hardware, and I checked ebay and the forums, picked up the 2 up detachable tour pack mount and used tourpack. had the tour pack painted to match my bike(Tequila Sunrise). I got the passengers armrest with the pack. HD wanted 1499.00 for the color mach pack, no armrest or mount, I have about $900 into the pack, mount , armrest and having it painted to match! take your time and keep looking!

#10 ·
Not a very good pic, sorry bout that.

I've only had the SG since August and the cheap E-bay trunk was on the metric bike I sold.

I did HD 4 point mount on the bike.

The detach mount is an e-bay aftermarket and I already had to replace one latch cause it fell apart.

The trunk really isn't all that bad and doesn't look all that bad on the bike either.

The thing is the ONLY time it is on the bike is when Momma is on the bike, and for us, that really isn't all that often.

But when it is on there it is so frikken handy, I don't know how I get along without it.

For the $100 the trunk cost me I could buy 12 of them for the price of a genuine TourPak.

For me it's like luggage when I need it, and it sets on a shelf when I don't.

Thing is I've found it so convenient, I would pay a grand for the "real deal"....it's just a matter of priorities.

Bottom line, it works "well enough" if your not gonna run around with it on the bike everyday, however, it will clash with your HD branded jeans and boxers, if that's your thing.

#26 ·
Bottom line, it works "well enough" if your not gonna run around with it on the bike everyday, however, it will clash with your HD branded jeans and boxers, if that's your thing.
Did JP waltz in here?

#11 ·
Got to disagree....Harley doesn't make the best quality on many parts..
Leather Saddlebags - not even close to BOSS bags
Grips - Avon has much better quality grips from a comfort perspective and durable
Fog/Driving lights - MotoLight, the best, no question

I'm sure there are others...and don't get me started on the cheap Jap made clothes! There are so many other vendors that make better rain gear, jackets, chaps, etc. They should make the Moto clothes folks wear what they actually sell, THEN make them wear the competition clothes. They will see how crappy their clothes really are. Sure, some of you may be happy with HD clothes, but try others and you will see better form, fit, and functionality. River Road comes to mind.

oh, forgot, waterproof gloves, heated gloves, Communications gear,....the list goes on and on...I think I'm up to around 60+ mods so far, some swapping out HD stuff....

#12 ·
Yeah, I don't use mine very often, it came with the bike and is a perfect match paint wise. It's on the factory Harley quick disconnect...off and on in 30 seconds. No rattles, thick backrest pad, and it's been used a ton by me on trips, but comes off when I'm home. Absolutely no problems with it, and it's very durable. i have a friend that has one on his metric, that has about 30,000 on his with the same outcome.... I think they are about 130.00 painted to match and shipped to your door....mine looks just like the one 472Viper has...

#15 ·
In fact I kinda like that...I need one of them on my Fatboy for if I ever want to take off for the weekend on it some time.....just didnt want to spend a lot of cash for some thing I might only use a couple times a year...:think

#17 ·
guy's the color is about perfect...I don't think it would be any better matched coming from HD.... I'm with you guys about Non Harley parts on a Harley....but in this case, for me, it's a No Brainer.... They also make a top rack for it, for like 50 bucks, a thicker wrap around pad for about the same... it's bolted to the HD Quick release system and works flawless..... Just do a search for VIP motorcycle box, and you will find a bunch of ebay....

#18 · (Edited)
I have the "Brand X" tourpack as well. It does what I wanted, but it is a cheapo. The lid rattled like crazy until I put some better edging on the body to lib joint. Now it's quiet.

Attachments

#19 ·
The aftermarket hard bags etc. look okay in pics, but they are flimsy as hell. Stick with OEM!

#21 ·
Yeah, I agree with you craiger,about the rear latch.. On the side is definitely a better idea.
For those that have lids that rattle... is the seal still on the box? Mine is very quiet, only time I know it's there is if i have something inside that rattles from bouncing around.
After owning this one, I know I'd never buy a factory one unless it was super cheap. These with all the options at under 200, minus buying the Quick release mount and hardware from HD, are the steal of a lifetime. The previous owner of mine, used it all the time for 3 years, and I've had it on and off for a year, and put over 2000 miles on it this year on a couple of trips, and it's no worse for wear. Another benefit is it's Waaaay lighter then an original. Nice when a fixed piece hangs out over the back like they do..
Someone here even mentioned "Plastic hinges"????? Not on any I've seen.
No offense to anyone who has the HD model, but to most of us that only use a box occasionally, we don't need anything better....For what you save buying one of these, you could buy a Full exhaust, a Tuner, and Dyno time... I'd much rather have that stuff, that I would use all the time, as apposed to a rear box....Just IMO....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.