Harley Davidson Forums banner

riding in the wind

6K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  socalskin 
#1 ·
Any one ever been totaly shut down because of wind being to strong to ride or blowing sand /dust

#2 ·
Not quite but having set out in good conditions I found myself entering Europe and being greeted by scything crosswinds as I rode down the autoroute. I ended up cranked over as far as possible just to stay in my lane. Time to pull over for a break and to find a road with more shelter!

Andy

#4 ·
I've heard of a technique where you use your upwind leg as a "sail" when riding in a cross wind.

Basically, if you've got a crosswind coming from the left side of your bike you hang the right knee out into the oncoming airflow/slipstream (caused by your forward movement) creating more drag on the right side. This supposedly aids you in keeping the bike more upright as opposed to having to lean into the wind coming from the left.

Haven't had the chance to try it out myself. Thoughts and opinions welcome?

#5 ·
I see what your saying, but I don't know if this is any less work than leaning it over, its bad enough you've got wind pushing on you and the bike, now your going to try to channel it. I've never tried this but it seems like a lot more work.

O.P. Never been shut down by wind, but been caught in some good ones also.

#8 ·
I live/ ride in NJ a lot of 1-2 lane roads with wide open farm land on either side,never been shut down but the cross winds and dust get me all the time. Got better riding glasses with gaskets, relax grip on bars, now if I could just afford to swap out those solid fatboy wheels.....
They don't help much with strong winds :think

#11 ·
I've never been shutdown, but I've been scared shitless. Last weekend ~11PM I was on the LIE (I-495) and the wind gust was so strong that I lost balance twice. The wind would stop and all of a sudden blow again at a crazy gust. All I could do was lean against it, ride on the right most lane and keep the speed steady. Later I learned that that was 30+ mph wind gust night; nobody told me.

Usually wind does not bother me. Instinctively I lean against it and try to keep a straight line, the key is to take corrective action, not preemptive. Feel the wind, ride with it. It's rain + wind, or snow + wind that bothers me.

#12 ·
I've rode in some 40-50mph cross winds. I didn't stop but I was pretty beat up when I got home. A sore neck and legs from fighting it for 50 minutes.

#15 ·
...from a handling perspective. Correct me if I'm wrong guys.

#17 ·
I wear my wing suit, set the bike on cruise control, roll off the back and fly like a country hawk. Or a four year old's kite... My suit has rally stripes.

#18 ·
Was your suit made by Manuel w all the rhinestones on it and maybe the Elvis eagle on the back. If you come to Nashville bring it. Ill get you an Elvis impersonator gig and thus the trip is free. Plus all the Dolly Parton look slimes that are going to invite you to their motel rooms!

Thank you very much!!!!!

Sent from my LGL45C using Motorcycle.com Free App

#20 ·
I ride across a pretty high multiple lane bridge quite often and have learned to expect the high/gusty winds as I get close to the top. I once was blown from my lane into the lane next to me by a gust.

I don't mind steady high winds so much as the harsh wind gusts.

#21 ·
The wind in SoDak is baffeling.

In the summer it seems like the wind blows everyday. I don't know how, but it seems like I can ride in all four directions, and still have a crosswind.

Yes, there have been times when I just shutdown and give up, that sucks, or blows, or however you say it.

We have a saying, SoDak really does not exist, it's just Wyoming blowing through in the morning and Minnesota blowing through in the afternoon.

#23 ·
I 90 heading to Sturgis..all the electronic signs were "warning to semi drivers and motorcycle riders..extreme high cross winds" they were right, with 200 mi to go..took about a 45 min break to let the feeling come back in my arms..we made it...one of the bands were morning their bandmember that got killed riding in from Sioux Falls..wind blew him into far lane and off road

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#24 ·
On the I-10 I have to stop and take a break because my neck was tired from riding into the wind (it was bad!) They knew what they were doing when they put that windmill farm in palm springs. and when I turned onto the 62 on the same trip, heading toward Morongo I had to take a side road because doing the speed limit was putting me into the side of the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.