Harley Davidson Forums banner

1978 Shovel?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  redman24 
#1 ·
Hello - looking at buying what seems to be a genuine 1978 Shovel with matching frame and engine numbers - only thing is that all the info I read says that the last 2 digits should be H8 but the bike numbers end J8, numbers being 8H5xxxxJ8. They don't seem to have been messed with and have the "stars" either-side - anyone any thoughts on this? Any advice appreciated as I would need to register it in the UK and do not want any problems.

#4 ·
8H = FLH 1200 Shrine bike and as bikedelic said H is Manufacture code used from 1970-79 J was used from 1980-on.

Look really close in person at #'s on neck and engine to see if the stamp font is the same. There are some good reproduction stamps for sale on ebay, someone could have altered the #'s.

My FL is a 70 model and the 8's almost look like hourglasses. Not sure the 80's model's used the same stamp font though. Look for some pics of other 80's model vin #'s so you have something to compare with.

Not saying they are messed with, the factory assembly line has been known to be quirky in the past.

#6 ·
Thanks gents - it is registered with the 8h prefix but half is missing and it is not the hourglass type like another in the vin so I guess it is actually 3h making it a flh80 classic from what I have gleaned from the forums etc. looks like these were only made in 1979 so would a final 8 on the vin match that model year or must it be a 9?
No joy googling - going to have to take another look and compare fonts as suggested and see if I can find the crankcase numbers which I understand should tell me the approx date at least. If they check out as being approx 1978/9 and engine/ frame numbers match and look ok then do you think Harley could have somehow stamped a J instead of a H or just an incompetent rebuilder?! Thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.