Harley Davidson Forums banner

1 bolt vs. 3 bolt STD heads

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  foundationapps 
#1 ·
Hi fellas, I am looking at a new Paughco exhaust for my 48 Pan. When I bought it, I was told the heads were STD. They certainly don't look like the original heads (which I have), but there is only a single exhaust pipe bolt.

All of the systems I see refer to 3 bolt STD heads.

1. Is there a single bolt STD head?

2. Is there a better pipe for my bike than the Paughco using the Bendix carb (soon to be a Super E)?

Thanks for the guidance... from the "crapped out on the side of the road" thread, the machine is running perfectly still, 41 degrees this morning, 3 priming kicks on full choke, power on, one twist of the gas, rumbling on 1st kick!!!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
You guys all nailed it. I was doing some toothbrush scrubbing around the header and just at the edge of the home made (nice job but big flanges) were the edges of the OTHER two holes, pipes were mounted with a single bolt at the top of the flange. On the way, new Paughco pipes for STD heads with 3 mounting bolts.

Retarded the timing about 2 degrees (guess). Much better starting as well as power range is great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.