Harley Davidson Forums banner

no love for the classics???

7K views 38 replies 23 participants last post by  mat 60 
#1 ·
there doesnt seem to be much action goin on in this section, so i thought i'd throw up a WTF and get something going, heres my bike again. ain't it purrty.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
That depends. Generally 25 years. However.....you'll generally find more HD owners that just love to ride and pay to have their harleys service.

Owning a Shovelhead or older requires either some friends with experience that can help you, a thick wallet or some amount of mechanical experience. The Evo started a genetic strand of relatively repair free vehicles if just maintained properly.

#6 ·
Dang, 25 years old is considered a classic for Harley. That means my softail became a classic last July! Makes me feel kinda old now, since I'm the original owner and it wasn't even my first.

Dave, I think you're right about the relatively repair free evos. My engine's (1987 evo 80ci, pretty much stock) never had any repair or re-building done to it at all and as far as all the stuff Harley puts around the engines, the biggest thing I ever had to have done was replacing a broken secondary belt out on a road trip a few years ago. It was the original belt from the moco and had around 90,000 miles on it when I got a rock stuck under it. Who knows how long it woulda lasted had it not been for that nasty little rock. Other then that, just basic maintenance and clean out the carb sometimes when I forget and leave fuel in it too long in the winter.

On the other hand, used to ride long distances with a guy that had an older shovel and wasn't very good at maintenance. I never had to worry about getting too tired of riding. His shovel always broke down before we needed to take a break from riding. I think I worked on his bike twice as much as my own! It probably would have done better if he'd been a better mechanic, or at least a better maintainer, but he finally got frustrated and bought himself a new evo.

#16 ·
I consider all Shovels and ironheads classics, although, most qualify in most states for ANTIQUE plates.

I guess it also depends on your personal age.

I still a 1995 is a new car.....

#22 ·
The first 2 Harleys I owned were a 66 XLCH and a 77 FX. Lots of good memories of em. They educated me, just by maintaining them and rebuilding them for years and many miles. I ride new stuff now, but still have a great fondness for the classics. Great bikes guys.

#23 ·
In Webster's dictionary under Harley there should be a picture of your bike as it surely is the definition of what a real genuine Harley Davidson looks like ! :drool
Look at the size of that rear brake caliper , looks like it could weigh 10 pounds ! :laugh

Beautiful , just simply beautiful ! :thumbsup

#25 ·
what frustrates me about the core of new riders is the lack of knowing the basics, I have been riding and working on HD's for thirty year's . and to this day cannot understand those who don't even know how to check there oil. God bless, those of us that keep the old one's going./1998 flht, 1949 panhead 1947 indian chief!!

#29 ·
If motorcycle owners were to adopt the definitions used by the AACA and CCCA, the classifications would be as follows:

1. Antique Motorcycle: a motorcycle which is at least 25 years of age and has been restored to original manufacturer specifications. Similarly, many states which issue Antique tags required that the vehicle be at least 25 years old, though in other states the age limit is a less stringent 20 years. Some require that the vehicle be maintained solely for exhibition, parade, and public interest usage.

2. Classic Motorcycle: a fine or unusual motorcycle built between and including 1925 to 1948. This would be the definition if motorcyclists applied the CCCA's definition for automobiles to motorcycle. Obviously, it is narrowly focused and highly exclusive, and it's probable that few motorcycle enthusiasts would agree with this definition. After all, there are many, much newer bikes which would almost certainly qualify as classics in most collectors' minds, such as the Honda CBX, Triumph Bonneville, Norton Manx, etc.

Obviously there are issues with these two definitions, and they all but ignore the term "vintage motorcycle." However, there does seem to be a recurring theme among definitions: an antique can qualify as such based solely on age, while a classic requires a higher level of desirability, scarcity, or just plain je ne sais quoi.

Perhaps a simpler, easier, and more liberal set of classifications would be those employed by the Vintage BMW Group, which are completely age-based:

Antique Motorcycle: 1923-1945
Vintage Motorcycle: 1948-1969
Classic Motorcycle: 1970 onward, but at least 25 years old (1970 to 1985)

#33 ·
I took my 48 apart in March of last year. I wanted to install the original cases back on the motor, was running STD because of cracks. I also changed out the frame to a wishbone and went back to the foot clutch and mechanical rear brakes. I just finished this afternoon putting the rear wheel and brake assy on. Now I'm ready to tear back down, blast, repaint and reassemble.

The evo in the back is an 88, so by the 25 year standard it would be considered a classic, but I don't see it that way. Hard pressed to see evo's as classics.

Attachments

#34 ·
That looks like a great project there, 48.
Very nice!

Ya' know...
I would not be too disappointed if you wanted to start up a new thread and take us through the teardown/reassembly process.

Would love to follow you on this one.
Just humbly sayin...
:nod

#36 ·
BC Boy, I like your bike :thumbsup and you are correct about a lot of forums. The discussions that have come up because of your thread makes a lot of good points. What is classic and what is considered antique. In my state any vehicle over 35 years of age is considered antique. Recently I traded for a 75 FXE 1200 Superglide that is not stock. When I registered it I have a antique tag. At one time if you had a antique tag you couldn't drive the vehicle out of state which I don't believe that is the case anymore.

My 75 is not original in appearance, it lives in the 70's with ape hangers, etc. It is not chopped but still has the seventies look. When my son and his friend first saw a photo of it said I need to retro it to a fifties look and quickly sent me a photo example. Like a lot of collector cars and bikes people like to change their looks. My son bought a 56 "Vickie" and with my brothers help we gave it a pro street look. Now the thing people are building are "rat rods" which is what cars kind of started looking like back in the late 40's and early 50's.

If it is yours you can do with it anything you want.

#37 ·
thanks Clyde. its interseting to see the different regulations in different parts of the world on what is a classic. In british columbia where i am im sure a classic is 25 years, but to qualify it has to be "stock" with no aftermarket riggin. our insurance system is a bit of a joke up here. to 48pan, that is an awesome project you got goin there, keep it up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.