Harley Davidson Forums banner

Cleaning neglected aluminum wheels

33K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  JLR 
#1 ·
Hi Folks -

I recently purchased a 2006 FXDI that had been neglected by it's previous owner, looking like the back wheel had not been cleaned for a long time, or ever.

I have been doing maintenance on the bike, changing all the fluids, lubricating where necessary (control cables, pivot points etc) and doing a clean-up.

I found something that is working decently on the rear wheel; 0000 steel wool wet with Turtle Wax chrome polish.

I just started last night, and it requires a bit of elbow grease, but note the initial results -

Before -

After in one spot -

I am not sure how this will work on the spokes and inner area that is not smoothed - that might tear up the steel wool, so I might try something like a scotchbrite pad, or even a wheel in a drill.

I will remove the wheel to do much more, and I will take pictures to add here.

best

mqqn

See less See more
#3 ·
I have used a drill bit before and wrapped a generous amount of green scratch pad around it and used it to clean in some of the smaller areas. Just make sure the bit doesn't work though or you be using it for its intended purpose :)

Reactions: mqqn
#4 ·
If...
You can find some..(Not sure they still make it)
Naval jelly works great on aluminum wheels when there as dirty as that! Wipe it on..let set for a few minutes..hose it off!

Reactions: mqqn
#7 ·
Thanks for the tips, folks. I very much appreciate the ideas.

Tonight I removed the front wheel, fender and fork legs - dropping the wheel off for a new tire tomorrow, and the fork legs I will drop off at the HD dealer and have them put new seals in them; I just don't have time to get that done myself this week.

It is supposed to be in the upper 60s here Saturday, so want to get it buttoned back up to get a putt in!

Too bad about this tire - it's not got 500 miles on it, but it is weather checked - this crack goes to the cords....

This will give me room to clean some on the front and under the front of the engine.

best

mqqn

#9 ·
I picked up a generic aluminum wheel cleaning acid in a spray bottle from NAPA for my bronco wheels.
love the stuff! eats right through the muck and grime. have to be careful with it though... it's like cleaning with battery acid.
rubber gloves, eye protection, even made pant gators out of garbage bags to save my pants/shoes.

my experience with the drill buff, polish stuff hasn't been nearly as impressive.

#10 ·
Before I had my rim chromed I used a metal polish called 'Flitz' on the alloy rim. It worked better than most polishes that I tried. Once I got the rim all cleaned and polished it was really easy to keep it that way. It only took about a 1/2 a month to clean it up.

#11 ·
Mothers Mag polish will take the dull to a nice glow on machined (not polished) wheels. I used it on my '14 Ultra factory wheels and they look better than new. I use it on my stainless exhaust on my '98 Z71 pickup, and it looks like I had it chromed. Good stuff.

#12 ·
I have used it on chrome too. It does a nice job and holds up well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.