Harley Davidson Forums banner

Finally rode one...couple of questions.

5K views 40 replies 26 participants last post by  Natty 
#1 ·
Well I finally got off my lazy butt and when down to the dealer and test rode some bikes. I rode a stock wide glide and a street bob with the 103, forward controls and drag bars. I mainly went in there wanting a street bob just like the one rode, but the this one had red wheels and the red/white custom paint scheme. I asked the guy if he could order me another street bob just like that one but a different color, and he said no. Then I mentioned the HD bike builder on the web site and how you can set it up the way you want it, print out the sheet and bring it to the dealer and let them order it...well he said they don't do that. He says they only get 1 custom bike to order every so often and that option won't be available for a while. He had 5 other street bob's in stock but none had the 103 or drag bars.

Now the wide glide felt pretty similar to the street bob, but the bars on the WG had a slight bend inwards where as the street bobs were more straight. It also felt like I was leaned back a little bit more on the WG...and they both could have used a little more leg room but he said they do have an "extreme" forward controls kit they could put on it.

So my question is, do I try to find another dealer that is willing to order the bike I want, or do I suck it up and just get the WG?

I come from years of riding sport bikes (current bike is a '11 gsxr 750) and I was really surprised at how easy the Harley was to ride. I was really expecting it to feel a lot heavier than it actually was. It felt very natural and I could really see my self riding one for a long time.

See less See more
#2 ·
I too always rode sport bikes. I got into the Harley's in 04 my last bike was a zx10r, I have had a softail, I built a bobber, now I have a street bob with a 106 cui. My advice to you is get what you want I think the street bob is more aggressive and the rake is 5 degree less with a 19 front. So you coming from a Gsxr will probably be happier with the street bob. Good luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#5 ·
Oh yea... I would suggest getting the bike you want.
Yup! No sense in buying a new vehicle (Harley or otherwise) and not getting exactly what you want.

If you really like that dealer, you could do a dealer to dealer transfer. Otherwise just buy from a dealer that can get what you want.

#4 ·
That's b/s. If it's an official HD dealer they should be able to find you the color you want. My dealer looked for a blue wide glide at the other dealers. Nobody had one at the time, and it would have cost me an extra 500 I think he said for shipping and what not. I got a red one that I ended up liking more than the blue I wanted, so it worked out for me. If your dealer didn't even look around for the color you wanted I would definitely take my business elsewhere, and get the bike you want. I have a wide glide and love it, but when I went to the dealer I had known for 2 years it was the bike I wanted and nothing was going to change my mind. If the street bob with a specific color is what you want, DON'T settle for anything less.

I don't know anything about the bike builder, but if the have it then why the hell would they only be able to get one custom bike a year. that just doesn't make sense to me. They give you the option to build your own, but you have to be the lucky guy who came in at the right time of year:loco Go somewhere else if it's not too far!

#7 ·
I don't know anything about the bike builder, but if the have it then why the hell would they only be able to get one custom bike a year. that just doesn't make sense to me. They give you the option to build your own, but you have to be the lucky guy who came in at the right time of year:loco Go somewhere else if it's not too far!
Here ya go.... Sportsters and the Street Bob are the only ones that you can do factory customs on.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/en_...4-5-3-3-3-3-1-4-4-3-4-8-5-5-21-11-26-14-17-28

#10 ·
I have an HD-1 build and had no problems ordering it through my dealership. In fact they had recieved 2 others at the same time, 1 had the hard candy red paint. I find it hard to believe they would be willing to loose a sale over that. Wait, actually I'm not. Because you pay what Harley charges you, not the dealership. Also you pay for the freight and documentation fees. Last, if you financing then you would be paying interest. That would be the only thing I know about. When I go into the dealership to pick up my wife's helmet that she ordered I'll ask them.

#11 ·
Take it to another dealer and inform the sales manager at the original dealer that their policy just cost them a sale.

It may be that the only purpose for your life is to serve as a warning to others.

#12 ·
Sounds like total salesman BS to me. Why can't he order another bike? I think he was likely told to "push" the bikes they already have in stock. And he is betting you will buy one off their floor. If he were a decent salesman he would have told you yes, he could order one and it would take approximately X number of weeks to get and then let you make up your own mind. And as someone already mentioned he could do a dealer search to see if the bike you want could be gotten from another dealer.

If he isn't willing to order one or to look at other dealer inventories on your behalf then screw him and give your business to someone who will appreciate it.

Louisville Joe

#15 ·
That is what I was figuring...just wanted to get rid of the inventory they already have. But I don't get it cause they are a large volume dealer. This one is a little further away from my house...I went there cause I knew they had a couple of street bobs in stock. There is actually a dealership pretty close to my house so I'm gonna go check out them tomorrow and see what they say and I'll update.

#13 ·
I agree, sounds like total salesman BS. He just wants to sell you whats on the floor.

My local dealer used to be like that. Enough people complained and he isn't the local HD dealer anymore. He is now selling used bikes only and his tune has changed considerably.

I suggest going elsewhere.

#16 ·
That would be the all too typical "look out for us and screw the customer" attitude. And if it cost them a sale they deserve losing the sale. Regardless of how many they now have, if they don't have what a customer wants they are no worse off if they order another one--it will be presold and never hit the floor.

Louisville Joe

#18 ·
I agree with whatis being said here, don't settle for anything but what you want. Its you money so you call the shots, but I would not hesitate telling that dealership there poor attitude cost them a sale. That POS attitude usually carries ove into the service dept.

#19 ·
I've got to agree with the others here, make sure you get exactly what you want. . .I bought a Super Glide Custom back in May because I could get a great deal on a year old one at the dealership. I followed my head and went for the better deal while my "heart" was telling me to buy a seventy-two. I like the Dyna, but every time I see a red candy flake 72, I cuss at myself a little bit.

Sent from my SCH-I500

#20 ·
Agreed with everyone. Get what you want. I kept checking in to the several Harley dealers done here, Austin, San Antonio, and New Braunfels, every one of them tried to get me on a everything I didn't want. Found the exact one I wanted, color size accessories everything. Hold out man, get what you want

Warning: Spelling errors in this message are the product of poor school standards. Pay teachures more than athletes!

#21 ·
The truth be known, believe what the dealer is attempting to do with you or any other customer is to sell what he has on hand. I am sure the HD factory would honor a special order/ build your own bike if they were requested to do so. Now if the policy from the factory is to do such special orders on particular models, then the dealer rep should have explained that to you. Far better answer than just saying "they" don't do that. Poor salesmanship and customer dealings I would say. As others have said, hope you get what you are going to pay out "your" money. Oh, and by the way, Merry Christmas!!

#22 ·
When I was first shopping, I was looking at a Sporty, didn't feel right. The sales guy said "step over here" and I got on a Dyna. Game over brother. I bought a shiny black Wide Glide. Very happy with it and now I'm into the accessory mode. You do realize buying the bike is just a down payment on all the rest you need to personalize your ride. Anyway, get what FITS you and what you really want. Post some pics when you get it.....and you will get it soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

#23 ·
Ok well I just got back from the dealer(not the original one) and the guy explained it to me like this.. He said they put a list together of what you want and they submit it to harley, and they either accept it or reject it...and they don't know what's gonna happen until after they submit it. That still doesn't sound right to me. He said they've actually never ordered a custom bike like that for a customer. I'm gonna try one more dealer that's kinda close to me and see what they say. Like others have said, I'm not gonna settle. I know what I want and how I want it and if they can't get it for me then I'm just gonna have to keep trying different dealers until I find one that's willing to help.

And another question... What's the going rate for dealer fees that they tack on to the price of the bike? Every bike they had had at least 800 bucks worth of dealer set up fees broken down into 3 different categories.

#24 ·
on my HD-1 build they totaled everything and had me put 10% down to garuantee that I wanted the bike and then submitted it to Harley. on a HD-1 bike they charged me freight and doc fees...think it was $900 total

#25 ·
Freight is $335

Setup fee is a scam. Bikes are now shipped assembled on a metal pallet. Setup consists of undoing the straps and rolling it off the pallet, removing protective plastic, and perhaps a wash..... Tell them you want it delivered to you still on the pallet and see what they say! :D

Documentation fee is a scam.

#26 ·
The dealer fees are ussually:
Freights $335 to ship it from hd factory to the dealer.

Setup: $330. Uncrating bike. Mounting bars. Filling with fluids. Checking all fasteners. Touring they put on fairing and tour pacs.

Doc fees: $200. Dmv title, tag, lein fees. And any bank fees associated with your loan.

Atleast thats what my dealer told me when i bought mine. But they include the 1k service free. Swith purchase of new bike.

#28 ·
On another forum, when 2013 bikes were first out I saw a picture of a couple of Road Glides sitting in the parking lot at a HD dealer. Bikes were still on crates and still had straps & plastic wrap on. Bars were on, fairings & bags were on. And it is my understanding all bikes are started and ran, at least a little, at the factory so fluids are in when the dealer gets it. And I don't know the amount but HD pays dealers a PDI (pre delivery inspection) fee to get the bike ready to sell. Bottom line is that "dealer prep" is BS. But...., with both cars and bikes, the general public has come to accept the prep as something they have to live with. And the "documentation" fee(s) is also total BS. The girl at the dealership has to do some paperwork to get your title issued, and maybe has to coordinate with your bank or whoever if you finance, but that is the dealer's cost of doing business and the dealer should eat that. But again, the public has come to accept that. I believe the only legit fee is freight. I know with cars the factory charges every dealer, regardless of how far they are from the factory, the same freight charge per vehicle. So, if you can't negotiate that fee away at least feel better knowing it is a real charge the dealer has to pay.
So what's next? Maybe a "rental" fee for the bike taking up showroom space until you or I buy it?

Louisville Joe

#27 ·
Dealer I bought my bike from said a set up fee was a scam. Most have it included in the price so they can offer you with a "free" first service. There is nothing for them to do really other than take it out of the crate.

The way it was explained to me the set up fee was $330. The cost of the first service would be $230. Many bikes are not taken back to the dealer where they are bought simply because the dealer isn't close.

Even though I wasn't thrilled with paying MSRP for my bike the more I read on here the happier I am with my dealer.

#29 ·
Another update:

The dealer stepped up...big time. Went back there today just to talk some numbers and see what they could do. They first came back with a price of $18k and some change...I almost fell out my chair. I told the guy I can go on the website and build this bike just like that and it'll only come out to like $15k...so he went back in his office and came back out with a price of $15800 and bumped the price of my trade up $1500. This was all for the red and white street bob that I really didn't want. The manager kept asking me what do I want/what will it take me to buy today. I told him I want the exact bike but in denim black. So he went on again about the custom ordering process and how they can't build another one until they sell this one blah blah. So I said you got 2 other black street bobs in stock, can you swap the fenders and tank so I can get what I want. And they actually did it. So I'll pick it up tomorrow after they get everything swapped over. I really can't believe they were willing to do that for me. Here are some pics of how it's set up now...103, forward controls, drag bars, red spoke wheels and a different seat. When I pick it up it'll look the same but with the black paint.

I can't wait to pick it up tomorrow and see it with the black denim paint!!

#31 ·
Wow, I'm really suprised they did that.

That paint is only available as a factory custom paintjob.

If you go to the regular StreetBob web page, that paint isn't listed like the other "Factory Custom" paint jobs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.