Harley Davidson Forums banner

Installing CB on '13 Road Glide

8K views 60 replies 5 participants last post by  webco2 
#1 ·
Well here I go. Bought the first part off E-Bay, a CB Module. If any one has done this feel free to offer suggestions.

I know I need the console with the plug-in, one or two wiring harnesses, and a headset. The Harley parts catalog said some of the parts are not available for a Road Glide Custom but the parts guy put together a list for me. $999.00 just for the parts from Harley. He said it would work. Planning on doing the install myself.

Again any suggestions would be appreciated.:)

#4 ·
Got the module, it looks good. $88. Bought the new console with the 7-Pin plug on e-bay. Waiting delivery. $88.

Found several left hand controls with wiring on E-Bay with the PTT CB button. They are all over $100, have to wait for more money.

Having trouble finding the wiring adapter harness PN 70169-06A. may have to buy from Harley for $104.

Still looking good to save a lot from the $1000 the dealer quoted just for parts.

#6 ·
Gotcha. Trying to be patient. Got the console with the plug for headsets today.:)

I need to start taking pictures of the stuff I guess. Gotta get a new camera 'cause mine hit the pavement on Beartooth Pass. It's done for.:mad

#7 ·
Ordered two more parts for the CB install. Left handlebar switch housing and the buttons for it. The prices were unbelievable. I hope it wasn't a scam.

#9 ·
I think I only need the special wiring harness that allows the cb module to connect to wiring. (PN 70169-06A $104 from Harley) I think the Ultras already are connected but I need this for the RG "Custom"

I received handlebar switch housing and some buttons, they look good ($18). Waiting for the full button package I ordered ($20).
I hope I have the CB wiring from the switch to the inner fairing but won't know until I start taking things apart. Hopefully it's hiding somewhere in the housing or fairing.

I've put off starting till it turns winter for good here.

Thanks for asking

#16 ·
My guess is that you will have to add the switch in, as the wiring is not there.

#13 ·
I got side tracked by a knee replacement. Feeling much better now.

Should have a garage heater by the weekend and be ready to hit it. Snowing and cold here tonight so it should be time to tear things up.

#15 ·
Good news - Got a new camera for pictures
Bad news - The garage heater I was going to buy is already sold.
Worse news - My procrastination gene kicked in and I thought I'd better give out Christmas money to little relatives and my kids so I will wait to buy a garage heater.

I promise by the first week in January.
Thanks for following.
I'll try and lay out parts I have and post a picture
Thanks for the encouragement Webco 2

#19 ·
Thanks Stangs. I was afraid of that. I think I have found some online but I'm not sure if the part number is for my year. SKU 77133-09. May have to go to Harley.

#20 · (Edited)
Got a Harley Headset coming just today from E-Bay $69.00 after shipping brand new (Supposedly). Harley $189.00

Still need the harness to make it think it's an Ultra and the dang Push To Talk Switch and wires. Already have the switch housing and buttons.

I do feel left out because my bike is still in one piece so far this winter.

http://www.harley-davidsonforums.co...d-you-do-your-bike-today-323.html#post3434730

See what I mean

#36 ·
Did your new heater help ? :)
Webco2. Heater story.

I looked again for the one you turned me onto but it still said unavailable. I looked around on the internet and it said Tractor Supply Co. had a 10,000 btu for $79. Tractor Supply is the closest farm supply store to me.
I beat feet up there and it was a 23,000 btu for $79. Whoopee!

If you hadn't shown me the other one I wouldn't have been looking and stumbled on this.
Thank You.

Only bad part was that the only Kerosene I could find was in a 5 Gallon can. $39. Ouch.

But it works really good if I can keep from blowing myself and the garage up.

#24 ·
Actually a kerosene heater

Something you probably don't know about where you live. Detached garages in Kansas need heat in the winter or you freeze. I could probably dress up but ice cold tools are a little too much for my delicate hands.

#25 ·
Got the Harley headset delivered yesterday. That was Jimmy John's fast. They look brand new.

Just need the ultra overlay harness and the antenna. I don't want to start tearing it down until I get all the parts that go inside the fairing.

I don't want to miss any riding if the weather turns good so I'd like to start and finish in two days total time.

#28 ·
Pictures for Webco

Almost kept my promise.

The Console and Headset plug wiring. I've also wanted a push button fuel lid so that is an added bonus.

CB module

Buttons. Had to buy all those to get the PTT Switch. I think they were only $10.

Handlebar Switch Housings. Bought both to get the left hand one. They were only $20 I think.

Harley headset. They feel pretty strongly built. I was afraid they would feel flimsy.

STILL NEED

Harness to make my bike think it's an Ultra.
Boom! Audio System Wiring Harness-70169-06A | Audio | Official Harley-Davidson Online Store

Antenna.
I may have accidently bid on an older style. It will probably function but the antenna doesn't match the AM/FM antenna.
CB Antenna Kit-76400-09 | Antennas | Official Harley-Davidson Online Store

Attachments

#29 ·
Forgot

I ordered the PTT Handlebar switch and wiring. Not here yet. That was hard to find. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that one.

#31 ·
I think that's the same price I get at my local dealer (I hope). Last year it was $109. Don't let that stop you from trying to help though. I appreciate it.

NOTE: The PTT switch shows as shipped. Yesss!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.