Harley Davidson Forums banner

12.5 Wild One bars install on 2016 RK

8K views 58 replies 9 participants last post by  MADMACK 
#1 ·
Bbally asked for pictures so I took some today. When I got the headlight "nacelle" taken apart I found out that the Throttle By Wire wires had at least 10" extra length. They were folded over twice and cable tied. Not so the other wires.

The Rushmore bikes sure have updated the handlebar wiring. I'm liking that.

I checked the clutch cable and brake line lengths and I think they will be just long enough. That's kinda sad because I have been drooling over the Magnum clutch and brake lines. I may still get them, just don't need them right now.

The first picture is how much TBW wire is left over after running it through the 12.5 inch bars. The second picture is how much more I need to extend the other wires. The yellow arrow points to were they need to hook up. I've got a wire stretcher ordered but it might take a week to get here.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Mack, I was able to reroute my original cables just enough to work when I first installed the 12.5 WOs on my '04 King ('cuz y'all know what a cheap azz I am). But they were tight and when my money got right I put the longer braided cables on for function and looks and I'm very happy with them now. I did the wiring kits going in. I wish I had gone an extra 4-6 inches on those in hindsight. Better to be a little too long than barely long enough.

--

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MADMACK
#5 ·
Recently I went to replace my riser bushings,discovered my 10" mini apes were cracked almost completely in half.:eek-surprise
So I bought some 12" inch and extended them by 2" on my RK..
What a difference..
By the way..
The riser bushings were fine..
But replaced the bushings anyway.

Hope you get it squared away soon!

#10 ·
Well, like Silverback said, the clutch and front brake cable/line will work but they're real tight when the bars are turned to the stops. I've got Magnum Shielding replacements coming. Peanut is way ahead of me on this one. Pictures when I get the new parts.

#13 ·
Thanks Bbally. That probably would have been a good deal but I already had the wires and clutch cable on order before I found LA Choppers. Live and learn.

Hey Peanut, are you going to take it to the dealer for the "Digital Technician II" deal?

#15 ·
Why are you bleeding ? The Digital Tech shop computer does the whole process. You might mess things up and end up paying for the shop extra time.
IMO, don't mess with the ABS brake systems on Harleys, it's a proprietary brake system.
Anybody can bleed the Harley ABS calipers BUT ... when the need for the ABS system to engage happens the brakes can lock up ... just saying !

Reactions: SoftailBilly
#17 ·
Wire stretcher :new I spent a year and a half in Missouri and you are going to have to show me a wire stretcher. When I was in boy scouts we would send a tenderfoot out to other camps to look for a bacon stretcher or a smoke shifter. Ha, one year these scouts brought back both of them. The scout master and others couldn't get over that. Best prank ever!

#19 ·
I was thinking along the same lines as Peanut but remembered I have "Free Pick up and Delivery" with my service contract. I'll probably use that to get it to the dealer.

#21 ·
Yes, but it will throw the code for ABS so the light will stay on.

You can also unplug the sensor for the wheel involved and the abs module will shut that down.

#23 ·
Talked to the Service guy at Rawhide Harley. Randy there is always helpful and knows his stuff. Told me they charge 1/2 hour labor for the Digital Technician II thing. Around $55. Less than I thought it would be so whenever I get all the parts :popcorn .

Reactions: 67Duce and peanut
#24 ·
Got goodies in the mail today. All Magnum brand. Upper Front and Mid Line Brake Lines and Clutch Cable. Still waiting for the two Front Lower Brake Lines that I ordered later than the others. I'm liking the polished Stainless finish. Will have pictures when I get to the installing stage.

#25 ·
This caused some trouble. The new lines are nothing like the OEM lines at this point. With negative thoughts about Magnum in my head I could not get the lines to fit in this box. I removed the box but that left nothing to secure the lines. I took the lines out and fiddled around until I got the puzzle figured out. They fit perfectly. I put the box back on and this is the result.
Fuel line Auto part Pipe Wire Engine

The lines were almost touching the metal here so I put a makeshift pad under them and zip-tied them in place. Looks OK to me.
Auto part Tire Spoke Steel Wheel

The new lines have a larger diameter than the old ones. This made it hard to latch the retainers. I used one of those handy little zip-ties to hold the latch in place here.
Auto part Vehicle Automotive exhaust Exhaust system Engine

The Magnum instructions actually said to put a zip-tie close to this retainer. If one is good two is better right?
Technology Electronics Electronic instrument Electronic device Gadget

Pretty nice fitment at the ABS controller. All lined up nice.
Auto part Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Car

Filled the front master cyl and bled the lines. Will take it to the dealer for the ABS bleed.

Now on to the Clutch Cable. OMG!

#27 ·
Clutch will be a piece of cake.
The manual says to take off the exhaust system ??? I might be OK with that because I've been thinking about de-cating the head pipe and this will be a good excuse to get that done.

Are you finished with yours?

#29 ·
Yep had to pull the exhaust to get to the cover. Guess I should have done the pipes at the same time as well.

Still trying to get the brake line to seat on the abs unit. Been too cold in the garage and too busy at work to mess with it.

#32 ·
Yep had to pull the exhaust to get to the cover. Guess I should have done the pipes at the same time as well.

Still trying to get the brake line to seat on the abs unit. Been too cold in the garage and too busy at work to mess with it.

Didn't accidentally leave an old washer on it did you? Sorry, it's just something I worried about when I finished so I double checked.

#33 ·
Took off the mufflers, saddlebag supports, heat shields, header pipes, and right floor board. Took apart the clutch hand control and drained the transmission. Hope to put the clutch cable on tomorrow (today?) and start putting everything back together. Oops. Still need to de-cat the head pipes.

#34 ·
Rock on, Mack!

--

#35 ·
Nope old washers are gone. The ones that came with the cable are thicker so went to get OE washers yesterday. The ones they gave me are the wrong washers. So try again today.

#36 ·
I used the thick ones that came with the lines. The torque for those fittings in the book seems pretty strong 23-29 Nm. I went about 21 and stopped because it felt like I would be stripping the threads. No leaks in tests.

#47 ·
I love cupcakes nekkid right out of the oven. Can't wait to see her with the frosting too!

--

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.