Harley Davidson Forums banner

Rear Brake Light Switch Problems

12K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Happy Hours 
#1 ·
Any one have a "recall" kit installed and have the new switch fail?

I got a 2010 FLHTCU that appears to have a new/recalled switch on it but today my brakes lights started sticking ON.

I read that Harley said the old switch would get too hot because its too close to the exhaust and fail but they only replaced the switch and didn't provide any sort of heat shield.

I need some ammo when I take my bike in because I don't want to get stuck paying for a switch that is going to burn up every 5k miles.

#7 ·
I'll behave...I promise.

I had read on a couple other forums where eventually the new switches are failing. It seems that Harley has replaced the switch but still has a heat issue from the switch being right next o the cat converter. If you have after market exhaust, the cat is moved or gone and its no longer an issue.

#3 ·
If it was fixed under recall and now failed, I'd imagine they need to make it right....

#5 ·
Da_Mack, make sure it's not the front switch causing the lights to stay on. If the switch housing and the brake lever clamp aren't butted up tight the front switch will keep the lights on.

#6 ·
I'm pretty confident its the rear switch. I was messing with it in the garage last night. I pulled the front brake numerous times and the lights functioned correctly. 2 different times when I pressed the brake pedal, the lights would stick on. I also got the following code:

DTC: P0572
FAULT CONDITION: Brake switch low
PRIORITY ORDER: 55
SOLUTION: 6.13 DTC P0572

#9 ·
So I take the bike into the dealer. They say it is definitely the rear brake light switch. My extended warranty has a $50 deductible and the final cost to me is $39 part and labor. I asked the kid why I was being charged for a defective part that was supposed to replace another defective part and he tells me that the first part was a recall and it was free????

I asked if the switch had a warranty and he said "yes" for 1 year. On a print out he handed me earlier it showed that the recall switch was installed 10-31-11. I told him that I still had 2 more days on the warranty of the recall switch. The kid tells me that "there is no warranty on a part installed under a recall because it was free" ............WTF?

I didn't want to argue with the kid for $39 so I got my documentation and dates of these switches and I think I'll try to send them to HD along with their recall claim form.

After its all done, I think there is still and issue with the brake switch being located too close to the cat converter and they need to install some sort of a heat shield. I just don't like the idea that my personal safety comes down to a $17 switch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.