Harley Davidson Forums banner

S&S 585 Cam Questions

14K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  jrjoblin 
#1 · (Edited)
As I posted previously I'm not supposed to ride for a year. I talked to the doc and he has relented to let me ride in two months as long as I don't take long rides and stop often to stretch my legs and empty my bladder. I sold my Vic and have some extra cash, enough to do a S&S 106" kit with S&S ported heads and 585 gear drive cams. Since I am also unemployed at the time I hate to deplete my cash reserves. I am thinking about just doing the cams for starters. So here's the questions; can I run the 585 with my stock valve springs? Is the compression too low on the stock 96 to use these cams? Should I just bite the bullet and do it all now? I already have D&D Fat Cat 2into1, SE heavy breather and PCV.
My thinking is, if it's in the shop instead of the garage there will be less temptation to ride it before I'm supposed to.

later, dozer

p.s. I did a search and came up with a lot of info on cams but no answers to my specific questions

p.p.s. I do have a couple of leads on jobs but not until June or July

#4 ·
The late model bikes can handle .575" lift, while .510" was the limit in pre-behive spring application.
A GREAT plug/play combo IF you are headed to a 106-107" later is a Wood TW-408-48(88") or a TW-408-44, for the 96"ers, as long as a 4* advance gear is used. Other outfits offer adjustable gears that'll swing 10 degrees.
WHEN you go to the larger bore size, and bring the correct cylinder head volume into the picture, for the proper compression, then pluck the advance out and let 'er rip.
BTW a 106", with Bob Wood's TW-408-6/55 HPI t/body/our Stage III Cylinder Heads/D&D Fatcat, was just tuned in Champaign, ILL.
124 hp/128 ft/lbs. Strikes almost 120 ft/lbs. @ 2600. Client seemed happy.:)
Scott

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.