Harley Davidson Forums banner

how many flats?

18K views 27 replies 10 participants last post by  harley2001 
#1 ·
Hey everyone.
02 electraglide screaming eagle cam chest plate, SEH-203 cams, screaming eagle adjustable push rods, stock lifters. I replaced cam bearings inner and outer and now I have to get the pushrod tubes adjusted back proper. Screaming Eagle pushrods are 32 threads per inch. The very well done J&P instructional video calls for 20 flats or 3 1/3 turns. The paperwork that came with my S&S bearing and gasket kit. says with 32 threads per inch to set the pushrod to 4 complete turns or 24 flats. That's a considerable difference between the two.
Who's right? Thanks. I want my baby back on the road...

#3 ·
Did mine last year. I'd follow the paperwork, thats what I did on mine.

#10 ·
I have the correct dimensions of turns and flats for my pushrod, screaming eagle is 32 threads per inch (TPI). That would give me a distance of 0.0313 per turn or a distance of 0.0052 per flat of rotation. The J&P cycle video, which is very well done, calls for 3 1/3 turns or 20 flats, while the S & S instruction sheet calls for 4 full turns or 24 flats. Still looking for an extra nut for the screaming eagle push rod tube. I cracked one taking them off. Really don't want to buy a $40.00 pushrod just to scavenge the nut off of it. If anybody has one laying around.....

#13 ·
. Still looking for an extra nut for the screaming eagle push rod tube. I cracked one taking them off. Really don't want to buy a $40.00 pushrod just to scavenge the nut off of it. If anybody has one laying around.....
Try checking with the parts guy at the dealer where you bought the pushrods. See if he would check with the techs in the shop to see if they might have one in their box. My guy has helped me like that a couple times.

--

Reactions: Kainam
#14 ·
just get 4 grade 8 nuts from the hardware store (a lot of guys where doing that with SE P/Rods a while back).as far as adjusting the p/rods,go with the p/rod manufactures instructions or if you don't know the manufacture,count the TPI.ive got charts that show amount of turns according to that (im sure you can google them too)

#15 ·
I went ahead and bought a single screaming eagle push rod tube off of eBay yesterday for $32.00. Kills me to do that just for a nut, but I just can't bring myself to rig something up and hope it works. I tried the dealership parts guys and he checked with the tech's. He said they junk old stuff. Too bad. Lots of good usable parts there... Thanks for all of the help and advice.. Geo out.

#17 ·
Too bad. That sounds like a "stock" answer. I was a tech for over 30 years. Techs don't throw away anything they think might bail them out sometime in the future.

--

#22 ·
well, my 18413-08 EXH pushrod is a 32 threa per inch. You cannot find a 50 cens 32 thread per inch nut or I would have it on there already. Not even FASTENALL, not even the old school hardware store in a nearby town that has everything. I did find a 3/8 32 TPI panel nut. It is thin and is used to lock down switches and volume controls on electrical panels. Too thin and I'm not going to stack several up to get the thickness I need. I was just asking for a little advice and some help if anyone had a nut laying around. I found someone who did and they are graciously sending it to me. If the 50 cent nut had been the right one i would have used it. I am not going to do it the wrong way just to save 32 dollars on a $10,000 bike. I have too much respect for it than that. That's not how I do things and it is probably why my shit never leaves me stranded.

#23 ·
I'm glad you got the part and your bike fixed. However there is still an issue with the nut. Your 18413-08 is what also came in my kit. People have counted the threads and even installed nuts from Lowes that are in fact 3/8-24.Let us know how the 32 tpi nut fits. Maybe take the pushrod to Lowes and measure it with the thread counter. People rely on correct info from the forums and you can help clear this up. I thought all the SE pushrods were 24 tpi.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.