Harley Davidson Forums banner

93 FXR Front Head Gasket Leak

7K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Omegis 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

Got a small head gasket leak on the front cylinder of my 93 FXR, see the attached picture.

The funny thing is that it doesn't leak consistently, I cleaned up the spot where the oil accumulated and went for a ride yesterday, nothing new on the area, still clean.

Talked to my indy, he said he would do the gaskets from top to bottom (base, head, rocker) for about 350$ but it could get more expensive if other things are needed to be done.

The bike only has 24k miles on it, I've put about a thousand on it since August and prior to that the bike sat for about 5 to 6 years.

Just want some advice on two things here and any other input or suggestions are very welcomed.

1) Could the gaskets have gone bad from sitting for so long? Or is it just from me not warming up the bike properly before riding?

2) If the bike runs great (as it does) and is just leaking, can I get just the gaskets replaced? I understand that if the cylinders aren't true they will need to be honed, but machine work is relatively cheap so I'm not concerned about that. But if there are cheap items that I should have my mechanic throw in there while here's there I'd like to know (i.e piston rings).

My mechanic is pretty loaded with work at the moment so I haven't gotten much time to pick his brain on the matter (What should and shouldn't be replaced).

The thing is, I'm 25 just graduated from college. I have a good job making decent money but while I do have the $$ to fix it, I'm concerned with it being a 22 year old bike that something else will go after I get this work done. Also worried that when he cracks the engine open it's going to be one of those "Hey we should replace EVERYTHING while we're in here", which I don't have the money for.....

Has anyone else been in a situation like this before? Or am I just a broke bastard?lol

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Just did mine back in May. Looked the same. My motor was a crate engine that had been sitting in a shop for ~10+ years. I think that may have had a little to do with it. I let it idle in the heat too long at Daytona stuck in Bike Week traffic. Only 20k on the motor. I replaced them at ~40k miles. Never "leaked", more like a weeping. Replaced the gaskets from base up and no issues 10k miles later. It ran fine and was not using oil, but I bought a Cycho Gasket Kit (~$100) and did it in a Saturday, it is not hard at all. Honed the cylinders while I had them off with a 3 stone hone from harbor Freight $20. Kept the original rings.

Reactions: Wooduck1954
#3 ·
Thanks a lot for the information, so you rode it with the "weap" for a bit then right?

That's actually pretty much how I would describe mine, as a "weap" but not an actual leak. So it's safe to ride for the last few decent days I have left you would say?

I've considered doing the job myself as it doesn't require lifting the engine out of the frame. And it's essentially just a bunch of wrenching but I know that if I screw up one small step I could ruin the motor.

But the thought is still in my head, I've replaced the stator, primary gasket, chain tension shoe, ran new oil and fuel hoses myself. So I think I could do it myself, only thing is that it will be getting really cold really soon.

#7 ·
Easy. Just time consuming for Weekend Wrenchers.
Take your time. As said. Wait till the Off Season. That way if life gets in the way of the job you are not feeling rushed to get it done and back out to ride.
I am in Northern Ohio too, so our riding days are pretty much numbered.

A hone and new rings are a good idea. But can usually get by without it.

#8 ·
Reactions: Dyna FXD and Omegis
#9 ·
Thanks guys for all the advice.

I'll do it myself, I did just install a wood furnace in my garage last winter.

Mine as well hone and re-ring it while I'm in there, especially since the parts are pretty cheap.

Any recommendations on ring brands to go with?

#13 ·
Lisle tools makes a fairly inexpensive piston ring compressor, sort of like a strap wrench, so you can open it to get it off.
Also might want to get a ball hone, I used 240 grit, and drain oil ( including gear oil, used motor oil, and trans fluid ) as the cutting oil for the hone. Slower drill speed, 400-600 rpm and move up and down fairly fast will give a nice cross hatch pattern.
Another tip, get some threaded rod, washers and nuts. And a small piece of plywood and a 2x4. Cut a hole 1/4" larger than the outside of the bottom sleeve. Make a platform by standing the 2x4's on end and screw the plywood to them, then mark and drill the bolt holes and use threaded rod to hole the jug in place while you run the hone, and set everything in a tray, or on a tarp. Oil does get all over, but take your time and it will look like a machine shop job when you're finished.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#15 ·
I would do a compression test before tearing the top end down to verify the blown head gasket. That'll give an idea if the rings need replacing too.
If the compression tests good then the oil is leaking from someplace else, maybe rocker box gaskets. EVO rocker box leaks are very common.

Reactions: Wooduck1954
#16 ·
It is a fairly straightforward job. A couple of things come to mind about '93 FXR's. You will need a cut down Allen wrench to get the Left rear rocker bolt out. Engine may need to be tilted to get boxes off. Check cylinder stud tightness. There were problems with studs in the early 90's and several changes. Google search "Evo cylinder stud problems" to get the latest wisdom.

#17 ·
Hey guys wanted to post a quick update on this.

Took the bike (it's finally warm now) to my mechanic and he took a look at it overnight.

Great news- I do not have a blown head gasket.

There was a loose breather bolt on my carb and it was blowing fuel down the fins of the engine...... My mechanic loosed the bolt more and reproduced it right in front of me. He checked the compression on motor and said it was great.

Guess I lucked out....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.