Harley Davidson Forums banner

Engine dies

5K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  Dave63 
#1 ·
1998 dyna wide glide. For years now, I take it out every weekend, then park it in garage. It isn't touched or moved during week. So last weekend, went to start it up. It starts, and purrs like a kitten at idle..with full choke. A little warmup, and I start to push choke in. Engine dies. Restart with full choke, idles great. At full choke, I try the throttle. Engine dies. Found some brown goop coming from the gear cover hole where the wires from cam postion sensor plate pass through. Took off cover, and that brown goop that covers the cam postion sensor plate had half melted. Replaced cam position sensor. NOT the fix. Same problem exists. Enigne still dies pushing in choke OR trying to throttle it with full choke. So, it's getting gas, air, and spark cuz it does idle with no problem. What would be the most likely causes?

#5 ·
Before you do anything to it ...lets try to find what the problem is first.

Did you spray any starting fluid or wd40 around the intake , to see if the idle picked up ? If it did , then you have an intake leak .

How often do you fuel up? Is the fuel "corn free" ??

Do you use any sort of additive in your fuel ?

#7 ·
Just got done discussing the quality of gas these days with my indy. He's had a lot of calls. If nothing has changed except fuel, the first thing they recommend is drain the tank, start fresh see if problem goes away.

#13 ·
Choke is not a choke. It's an enrichener. It adds air and fuel at the same time, when pulled.

If bike shuts off and stalls after pushing choke in, but restarts with it out again, the idle circuit is blocked and not allowing fuel to enter into carb throat.

Usually it's a blocked pilot jet.

It can be a float that's stuck, due to corrosion on the hinge pin, due to ethanol, not allowing float to drop enough to keep engine fed with fuel.

As stated prior, my money is on the pilot jet being blocked. In a worse-case-scenario, you may have some crap blocking the idle circuit.

Depending on last rebuild, it may be time to do an entire overhaul.

#21 ·
Update. Carb kit finally arrived. Disassembled carb. Cleaned, cleaned, cleaned. Although it wasn't that bad or dirty.
Used the intake seals, accelerator pump diaphram and spring, float valve, and o ring from the kit.
The float needed just a tad adjustment.
SUCCESS !!!! Started up after 3 tries! Runs like when I first bought it!
My best guess, since I cleaned everything and put those new parts on, was that it was indeed the pilot jet (slow jet in diagrams) ,
as was mentioned by the members here. Thanks to all who replied to my original post which led me to the carb to begin with !
See ya-----going out for a ride........

#24 ·
Yeah we do..........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.