Harley Davidson Forums banner

Upgrading cams in a 2012 Fat Bob

10K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  GlideWide 
#1 ·
Okay, so this may be a really stupid question.

It's a 2012 Fat Bob, 103 ci, Stage 1 mods.

I got a price for Stage 2 that's around $1300 total.

Too steep for me right now. Here's what may be the stupid question:

Can I just crack it open and replace the cams only for now? Seems to me it would reduce labor and parts costs; I don't necessarily need to go any further at this time.:think or :loco

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I'll be watchin' this post quietly and intently. I'm a few months away from almost the same issue. I'm planning on having a 2013 Fatbob Stage 1 waiting at the dealership, and am considering going on with Stage 2 and be done with it. Really interested in everyone's take on cam choice for stage II...

What cams you considering, Lakota?

#4 ·
Looking for wisdom from the collective here. Stage 1 is something you just *have* to do; I'd like to do Stage 2, but in increments just because I don't have that kind of coin right now.

So. I'm asking about cam choice and *also* whether I have to do any other mods when it's cracked open. Right now, I can't afford that $1300 for the whole package the dealer quoted.

Is this a decent idea, and should I just wait until I have the $ to do it all?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

#5 ·
Just do a tuner and intake/exhaust. If that is done is there a bolt on cam set that would do much without head work? Only the torque cams like 255's on my touring bikes work well enough without head work in my limited motor builds.
Get stage iv and the heads become an issue as does the throttle body, injectors, cams, tune, etc. most fun though!!!

#13 ·
I just SE 204 cams installed with new cam bearings, lifters, SE Adj. pushrods, SE super tuner & dyno'ed. The SE 204 cams are about as easy as they get as far as install. These cams differ from others because the duration. After installing cams that hit harder in the lower RPM range, most dyno sheets show the power gradually peak, kinda like the uphill slope of a mountain. These, well They just hit you right out the gate and keeps you there. Here is my dyno sheet below. This is after the install I did a couple days ago, and I promise if u are looking for power these cams will not let you down. Best $ ever! Also, you can install these but if u are doing cams, I would highly suggest getting your bike tuned then too. Or they do have some auto tuners that could be an option too. But nothing beats manually tuning if you got a good dyno guy. I am blown away with how smooth everything is now as well. Hope this helps, Good luck

Jared
2012 FXDWG

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.