Harley Davidson Forums banner

oil or cam ????

8K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  Autotec 
#1 ·
the motor in my bike was fixed by harley droped valve. put a andrews mild cam in it and used stock pushrods to help with the valve train noise. before all the problems the motor was supper quite. the cam has same lift as stock just more duration now there is some ticking, is this from the cam. ive tried 20-50 now have strate 60 w in it . 1340 evo less then 1,500 miles on it. any sudgestions ready to put stock cam back in to see if that changes the noise thanks

#3 ·
the cam has same lift as stock just more duration
What cam is it. I've never heard of a performance cam with more duration, but "stock" lift.

Too boot, any replacement cam that's not color matched to the pinion gear, (color dot determines the cam gear diameter) will cause excess noise. Too large and it'll whine. Too small and you get a ticking that sounds like a tappet tick.

Exhaust leaks can mimmick the same noise as well.

#4 ·
could be gear lash,if your cam gear is too small,you will get a ticking,to big you get a whine.most aftermarket cams are set up for a red pinion gear,but instead of spending 80.00 on a new pinion gear,mark your stock gear on your old cam,press it off,(and press off your new gear too) and install it on your new cam,gear lash will be the same as it was(check p/rods first,but if there right on,this is the problem
kirby
vee twin racing

#7 ·
well i had it measurd said it was the same im putting the gear from the stock cam on it the cam is a andrews 27 thanks thats where im going will do it tomarow leave for ohio tomarow lol
An Andrews EV27 is not the same lift as stock.

Stock lift for your engine is a .472 intake/exhaust lift, w/ 208-I/202-E duration.

EV27 lift is .495, intake/exhaust, w/ 236-I/240-E duration.

a .495 lift isn't generally a cam that will cause excessive valve noise, as the general rule is anything over .500 lift.......

Just make sure that when the bike is running, you can't feel anything when you put your hands on the pushrod tubes, indicating a push rod rubbing. In all reality, you probably have a vavle that's adjusted a tad loose.....

#9 ·
hey dave im sorry took cam out it has ev 13 will this cam cause noise or should i still go withe the gear chang new quick pushrods and put back together im almost ready to stock cam back in i hate the noise lol thanks

#10 ·
An EV-13 isn't that different than an EV-27. It has a 236-I/248-E duration and a .485 lift for both intake and exhaust.

The part that makes the noise is the lift, if over .500. You're OK there. The part that WE'RE talking about maiking noise is the cam GEAR LASH with the PINION GEAR.

What color is marked (paint dot) on you EV13 gear?

What color was the mark on the stock cam (gear) that came out?

Those colored spots should match. If not, it could be too loose or too tight. They match up to the pinion gear, which is below the cam, on the crank.

The colored spot indicates the diameter of the cam gear. Ad stated, you can swap gears from the stock to the Andrews, if need be, rather then spending $200+ for a matched set of gears, or another cam, or about $90 for another pinion gear.

The other issue is your cam shaft end play.

Aftermarket cams require a shim to be placed over the rear of the cam prior to installing it. Using a caliper, measure the length of old cam from the front of the timing gear to the forward most area of cam bearing area. Measure the same length of the new cam. The difference should be between .050 and .060 inches. A shim of the proper length is required. If no caliper is available to measure the cams, install a .055 cam shim at rear of new camshaft. This is generally the correct shim to install.

According to the Moco manual, end play should be .010-.050..and if my memory serves me Andrews reccomends .010-.020.......

#12 ·
It's probably the same, *&^^*%%$%$# annoying valvetap I have and can't get rid of.

Let me know what it is when you find it.

My motor's quiet as a church mouse when cold. Once it starts warming up, I get a tiny tap that comes and goes with accel and decel. At idle....you can hear it in the front of the front cylinder, but NOTHING with a stythescope.

#15 ·
I do.....but it's bent, scraped and hammerd from hanging under my bike, and me riding this thing like it's a sportbike. :D

My running boards are getting a tad "thinner" too, on the edges.....:thumb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.