Harley Davidson Forums banner

Believe It Or Not, This Is A Serious Question

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  SoftailBilly 
#1 ·
My new Cycle Shack MS-129 slip-ons arrived today, so I installed them in place of the Screamin' Eagles on my 2012 Street Bob, so as to get rid of the catalytic converters. Everything was fine on the shakedown run until the rear muffler (only the rear one) started to make a strange intermittent noise which became more frequent and very annoying as I was riding.

The noise sounded like something I had heard before in a non-motorcycle context, but I couldn't place it at first. Finally, I remembered...from a George Harrison album: a wobble board.

It sounds something like what this gentleman is doing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhhqoibkuBc

Any ideas at all? It sounded so weird that I put the Screamin' Eagles back on until I can figure it out. Any help is appreciated.

Edit: I should add that I rechecked the torque on the clamps, and even removed the rear baffle to look for any abnormalities. Nope, looks like a baffle.

#3 ·
Did you swap the mufflers around to see if the noise followed the muffler or if the noise was still at the rear ? If it follows the muffler then I would figure it would be a faulty muffler.

#6 ·
Those Cycle Shack slip-on's do have a resonance/harmonics sound about them ! . I know mine had a real low growl at idle that I liked and the quality of the chrome was excellent but out on the road they had a resonance to them that actually sounded great , its just when I parked the bike my hears would be ringing . But like I said , I thought they sounded great so I bought some ear plugs & that did help but I hate ear plugs so I decide to remove the baffles . I plan on buying some muffler wrap for those long baffles & try that or just run them without any baffles . But before I got around to doing all that I just went ahead & bought some drag pipes which I love .
Now Bob , I would suggest what SCHMIDTYS said to narrow down which muffler then remove the bolt that holds the baffle , knock that baffle out & reposition it a bit . Try that .
Hope you get it all straightened out . Good luck !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.