Harley Davidson Forums banner

Exhaust advice for 2017 Ultra Limited

29K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  singlebeam 
#1 ·
I want to update pipes and air kit but not sure what pipes to go with. This is the first bike I have had with a radio and speakers so I don't want to get something too loud. Much of my riding is with a group of friends on trips so I don't want to be obnoxious. I live in Michigan so bikes are garaged now and my first bike trip is in May. I would like to get them put on now or first thing in the spring.

I listened to a set of Screaming Eagles in the fall and was not impressed. Since I have listened to some V&H and thought they were too loud, but its hard to asses as they were inside a shop.

Any suggestion?

Chinook3

#4 ·
Chinook3, couple of things, (1) go to your dealership and have your salesman start up some used Ultras that have aftermarket pipes, if they have any. (2) YouTube has different pipe sounds,ie, Rinehart, V&H, Rush, etc. (3) go to a local Hog Chapter and ask what others are using on their bikes. The sound of pipes is an individual preference thing, what I like, you might not.

#5 ·
Thanks that's true. I have gone to various dealerships and listened to a few bikes, trouble is there are very few with with 17's. Will the new motors sound much difference? Looking at used bikes seem most have V&H. Trouble is once you decide you live with your
decisionIon.

Thanks
Chinook3

#6 ·
If I remember right 17's were changed to different sizes per side..... I'm sure the after market is producing mufflers that fit the new models. You may have limited options at this time. You may want to ask the dealer if this is correct info.....

#7 ·
Let me ask a different way what pipes do you have and what are they on? What comments do you get? Would you buy them again? What pipes would you buy? Who has a '17 and what pipes are you putting on?
I understand this is an objective question. Just looking or opinions.

Thanks
Chinook3

#9 ·
My suggestion is to get a set of CVO mufflers and rebaffle them with power core baffles from Fullsac. If you're even a little mechanical inclined, you can do all the work yourself. I even put new exhaust blanket material in mine and had the tips powder coated black. Love the sound and the performance. And with the different baffle sizes available, you can go as loud or quiet as you want.

#10 ·
I've got a '15 Electra Glide Ultra Classic and put on Vance and Hines true duals with RC Components mufflers.

Harley Motorcycle Exhaust and Mufflers | RCX Exhaust

They have a nice low rumble and aren't loud unless you really get on it, then they will bark!

Don't know too much about the new Milwaukee 8 engines, so can't advise anything on them.

#11 ·
Chinook3, not sure what the difference is in the new 17 models. When I bought our 14, I purchased the V and H Twin Slash slip ons and they were still to quiet for me (slightly better than stock), I like loud whether throaty or raspy. It was suggested to me to scrap the OEM head pipes and go with the V and H Powerduals, they said the sound would be great, throaty and loud so I did. Picked up the bike last night after having them installed along with a Big Sucker A/C and it slightly made the bike louder. Weather permitting I am going to install the V and H FuelPak FP3 this weekend and tune the bike to see if that will make a difference. Either way, I need to tune the bike to the new headpipes and high flow A/C.

I agree that you should make sure you listen to all the different combinations out there before making your decision but I would highly recommend that those combinations also be heard on the new 8 as I truly believe the different models also have a big play in the different sounds. Take your time and do it right...

Ride safe brother....

#13 ·
I have a 2016 Ultra Classic and run the Rinehart Extreme Tru Duals. Has a nice Harley rumble at idle, sounds good at cruising speeds but does not overpower the radio, but when you open it up, it is loud, you kind of get to have your cake and eat it too in my opinion. I also have an Arlen Ness Big Sucker air filter installed and a V&H Fuelpak. If you could get that exhaust for your bike, I'd highly recommend it. You don't lose power that is typical of a tru dual exhaust because of the technology wrapped up in it. I've had a Fullsac headpipe setup before too on a 2016 Road King I had, and my Ultra is at least as powerful if not slightly more, IMO, and of course it's heavier.

I was told Harley won't honor the warranty anymore on the new bikes should you modify them beyond slip ons. I did very little digging but I think it's a dealer discretion type thing. I did find one tid bit of info to back it up, I'll paste the link. I'm not saying this is the final word, just something to back up what I thought. You can do some more research yourself if you'd like.

https://www.lawabidingbiker.com/125/

V&H makes there Power Duals X-Pipe header for the Milwaukee 8 and I've heard many of those head pipes with different mufflers on it, some loud, some not so loud of course but they all sounded good. Remember, the pipes, unless you get some radius turn downs or something, are going to exit out the back of the bike, so while they may be loud, you're not going to hear the full note as if they turned down on the side of the bike. If I was to recommend slip-ons, I'd say any muffler 4" in diameter should get you close to what you want, a good Harley sound but not overbearing so you can make use of the radio. A full exhaust getting rid of the cats will add some throatiness and make it a little louder, but if you have some good mufflers, like Rineharts as mentioned before or something similar, you'll still be able to hear your radio just cruising. Sorry for the lengthy response.

Reactions: Chinook3
#16 ·
Okay I have really figured out a bunch since I started this thread. Now they are waiving a new twist. I decided on V&H slip ons and head pipes and a screaming eagle air intake. The last addition is a FP3 fuel mgr by V&H. The dealer says NO. He says it voids my warrenty and service contract. First he would not put it on, now he will but there goes my warrenty and service. I have spoke to other dealers and hearing the same from about half. General consensus is give it some time as Harley is afraid they will get in trouble over it. Michigan has no mandated emissions testing so no state problems.
Nothing is very simple.

Chinook3

#18 ·
EPA regulations an HD warranty are two separate issues.

I believe the V&H is CARB certified for the M8.
Edit; The California tuner is.
FUELPAK FP3 CALIFORNIA - VANCE & HINES

As far as the Dealer(s) denial of warranty.
Ask him about the Moss-Magnussun warranty act of 1975.
Better yet. Copies can be found on line in a downloadable format. Usually PDF.
Print it out and take it to him. :read

#19 ·
Can you elaborate a bit?

What I do not want to happen is some engine problem down the road and they say its my dime to get fixed since the bike was modified with non-harley parts. I am willing to pay the dealer to do the mods to help protect my warrenty. I have asked around and to use the Harley tuner it will not work properly with the V&H head pipes and slip ons. Is this because it is a street tuner and the mods I am choosing need a race tuner, which the FP3 is?
I can understand their point of view if I took it on my own to go poke holes in the cats.

Thanks
Chinook3

#20 ·
Returned PM.

The only thing that has changed regarding many Dealers now refusing to install "For off-road use only parts" is the EPA ruling.
The fines paid out by the MoCo.

Performance requires flowing more gas and air.
Of course creating more waste going out.
Guess the bikes no longer would meet the "sniffer" perameters.

But how the Dealers are using this as a reason to void a "mechanical warranty".
That they used to honor. :dunno

Read the document I named.
In a nutshell it states. In order for a/any company to void a warranty. It must be proven that the modification was the cause of the failure.

#21 ·
From the Harley Davidson website about the HD Pro Street Tuner(Note the reference to warranty)
The Pro Street Tuner plugs into the bike’s data port, so no splicing or under-seat hardware is required. And unlike other race tuners or engine controllers, the Screamin’ Eagle® Pro Street Tuner does not impact your Harley-Davidson® factory warranty coverage.

#22 ·
I wouldnt consider the FP3 a "race" tuner, just a performance enhancer, and as far as I know all tuners are plug and play so no splicing needed.

But unless its a HD (read EPA) approved device, ,y bet is the moco is over a barrel after their recent problems with the EPA, so any non-approved modifications may be reason to exclude warranty as a way to prevent people from taking their bikes out of EPA air pollution standards, or the moco faces further EPA consequences (fines), Moss-Magnuson act or not.

Even if you eventually prevail with using the M&M act against the dealer, its probably going to mean going to court so its not going to easy or quick.

#23 ·
Thanks I am coming to some similar conclusions.
Right now I have decided to get the V&H Monster V and they are not shipping yet(New). So I am waiting for two reasons. The slip ons I want are not ready,that is one. #2 I have resolved to use the Harley Pro Tuner and also get their new Smart Tune Pro. It has just come out. It works in conjunction with their Pro Tuner, you need both. It has an auto tune function like the FP3. It does not have all the bells and whistles the FP3 has nor the range. My hope is that the rules will change before the slip ons are ready. Who knows! The dealer will do the install when the slip on become available likely about June/July. I would really like to stay with the V&H FP3 but to keep my warrenty I am willing to pay the almost double for the harley tuners. So I will pay more than double the price for less performance and an inferior product. I really like my bike and I am excited about my mods but well designed and innovative do not describe Harley motorcycles.

Chinook3

#24 ·
2014 Ultra Limited. RC Components slip ons. A good sounding pipe, not too pricey and can always change the tips. They carry an entire line of matching add-ons for the bike.

Just another opinion.
James

Reactions: Chinook3
#25 ·
I've used Arlen Ness intakes, and the Vance & Hines FP3 tuner on all the Harleys I've owned, with great results. As far as slip-ons I've tried everything from fishtails to Vance & Hines, but I really like the performance and the sound of Cobras. I recently picked up a 2017 Road King and have some Cobra 'Neighbor Haters' coming in today, they were VERY affordable. I'm hoping they sound and perform like other Cobras I have experience with. I'll post how I like them once I get them installed later!

#26 ·
Just a quick update. I've gotten the Cobra neighbor haters installed on my 2017 Road King. The sound is great, but I was hoping it would be louder. It could just be a matter of needing to install cat-less headers to get that extra volume, or I might just be spoiled by the ear piercing volume of the fishtails on my 2016 Street Glide.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.