Harley Davidson Forums banner

After Market slip ons

3K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  dan313 
#1 ·
Hi,

I installed After market slip ons on my 08 Ultra Classic, and a Big sucker air cleaner.

My question is why does the pipe coming from the front jug get hotter than the back jug. Is this normal? The bike has the stock pipes coming from the jugs. The rear pipe goes into the front pipe behind the rear jug and then splits to the left side. The right side pipe also is darker in color.

I know the bike runs lean and I checked the rear plug and it was white.

Do i need to tune the bike. It runs real strong and has no decel pop.

Thanks,

#4 ·
Changed intake AND mufflers? Yes you need a tune! The factory narrow band O2 sensors are for idle/ light throttle/ load conditions, beyond that, the ECM has a EPA lean tune in it. By increasing the breathing, you have made it even leaner.

Reactions: 67Duce
#8 ·
As said. The bike is set lean from the factory.
EPA regulations, not the MoCo`s idea.

The engine is self adjusting. But only to a certain point.
The changes you made to the AC would create a leaner condition. Is it capable of self adjusting enough? :dunno

The addition of the mufflers have changed the sound.
But you may or may not have gained any flow.
The exhaust flow is only as good as the most restrictive part of the system. = catalytic convertor. I am not sure on your model where it is located.

A tune would wake the bike up. Make the most of the changes you have made.
Relieve the lean condition. Probably drop temps a few degrees.
Necessary? :think :dunno

#11 ·
Believe the cat was in the stock mufflers in 08 models. Newer models cat was relocated to head pipe. Either way A/F needs adjusted. Running way to lean.

#12 ·
#13 ·
Hi Guys,

I received the FP3 this afternoon and installed it. First of all it was really simple to do.

The first thing I noticed is the bike sounded a little different. I went for a ride and noticed the bike has more power.
I went on the Parkway and got on it. I was doing 75 in 3rd and pulling 3800 rpms. Couldn't be happier. The bike is a beast.

Lenny

#16 ·
60 is ok if solo on flat road in 6th.. Never 2 up. Prefer 5th. ok for 60 extended times depending on road conditions. I do run 65 in 6th.. Engine seems tolerate it well. Gas mileage is good. But running 65 out here can get you run over. Like to accelerate in 3rd. to 65 and skip on to 6th. traffic permitting. The Mistress III loves 3rd gear WOT. :grin

#17 ·
SoftailBilly thanks, I ride the bike the same as you.

I installed the V&H FP3 yesterday. The map that they recommended woke the bike up. The power band is unbelievable. With that said the bike is running hotter. I could smell the pipes burning up to the point that my slip ons on the right side started turning bronze. ( the slip ons are not new and never turn color before) I contacted V&H and they gave me another map. Well that map made the bike run sluggish compared to the first map. I'm going to run auto tune with the first map and see what happens.

I will keep you posted,

Lenny

#18 ·
Update,

I ran the bike yesterday and performed two auto tunes on it. So far the bike seems to be running smoother (not too much shaking at idle) and the motor temp is 225 degs. I will continue to run auto tune a a couple of more times.

Lenny

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.