Harley Davidson Forums banner

Header pipes

34K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  hardheaded 
#1 ·
Hello,I have a 2013 street glide.I am wanting to know from those who have done this.Remove the cat from stock header pipes or replace with after market? I was thinking of going with fuel moto's head pipes or V&H power duals. Based on those who have done either,what do you think ??? I am really thinking of using fuel moto's head pipes. Would i see match increase changing from stock head pipes?

#3 ·
Check out. Harley Header pipes[
Have had them all this year. Work perfect, simple to install. Pay $299 they send you headers, send back your old ones and get $100 back. Great job on removing the catalytic converters.

#29 ·
I had the cat removed and could tell no difference on my 2010 street glide. I had a V&H slip on. It sure made for a nice sounding pipe though.
At the same time my buddy did the whole V&H exhaust system with the programming and air cleaner and was amazed at the difference. He has a 2010 road glide so the engines were the same.
I took my pipe to a local welding shop and they removed the cat for about $20. Be sure to tell them to bandsaw the pipe in two or they may cut it with a chop saw. That will alter your mount points. They should know that much already.
I had already done the programmer before pipe mods so I just wasted that money. If you cut out the cat it will lean your bike out further than stock. (my own assumption)

#6 ·
I was just wondering if those of you who simply removed the cat, did you notice a performance increase?

I know most have completely replaced their entire exhaust systems from the headers back, but was just wondering. What kind of performance change would result from simply gutting the cat, then tuning?

...oh, and I apologize for temp hijack.

#11 ·
Sounds great Phil R i guess i just need to wait till i get all the parts together. iI wanna change head pipes,mufflers,air intake,and use the PC V with auto tune. Was hoping to do in steps,but seems like i cant. I was wanting to do head pipes and stock mufflers.Then air intake with tuner.
Thank you for the reply...

#13 ·
Sounds incredible Phil! Cats add a lot of restriction, so you have to wonder what slip ons do when added to a cat equipped engine. Not much in my opinion except sound.

You got to the root of the problem. What about the O2 sensors?

And how did you capture the sound without the wind noise?

#16 ·
Sounds incredible Phil! What about the O2 sensors? And how did you capture the sound without the wind noise?
Jackpot 2-1-2 provides ports for the stock O2 sensors in the stock location... I installed the stock O2 sensors, my bike operates in closed loop most of the time.

Video recorded with GoPro HD Hero 2 and Audio-Technica Lavalier Microphone. Microphone was taped to rear of right side saddle bag... used a foam windscreen.

#14 ·
Fuel Moto jackpot pipe

I just purchased a Jackpot pipe for my 2011 RKC and would like to know if I hook up all the existing sensors from the stock pipe to the new Jackpot pipe? The Jackpot comes with 4 plugs and am not sure if they are all used? Never attempted before Thanks in advance.

#19 ·
I went with a FulSac head pipe. Couldn't be happier.Sound is incredible and it uses the stock cooling tins. I myself like the look of the stock pipes, but now have the sound and performance of an aftermarket pipe.

#20 ·
After 2 years with a Stage 1 H-D air cleaner and slip-ons on my 2010 RK, I went with the Fuel Moto 2>1>2 pipes (I did not get the ceramic coating) and their 4 in. slip-ons, but at the same time, I also did Andrews 48 cams and a ThunderMax, so not sure how much of my new boost is due to the pipes. About all I can say is that FM was great to work with, the price was right, and they look good. I also liked being able to use my like-new heat shields and not having to pay for new ones.

I think I understand that these pipes are very similar to V&H Power Duals - will probably hear negative feedback on that, but that's what I understand.

BTW...FM had a hellofa wait to get the ceramic coating for the pipes and understand the gains for a non-racing application was marginal.

#21 ·
re fuel moto 2/1/2 ceramic

I just wanted to clarify. I did not want to increase the noise, wanted to keep pipes noise volume using the jackpot and stock mufflers the same as stock. Had rineharts, losing some hearing...

what is the volume increase? also, just want the header pipes because heat from cat will be reduced by approx 50% using ceramic...

thanks for help..

#22 ·
The single best thing you can do for your new touring bike is install the Jackpot 2 into 1 into 2 header by fuel moto. If no other mods are performed, this alone will help tremendously. The O.E. header with its poorly designed collector(if you can call it that) not only performs poorly, but creates enough heat to fry your leg as well as all components near it. The new 103 engines do perform well with this as well as an air cleaner upgrade, and most riders will be happy with the power. In my shop, I have installed many of these, as well as some V&H Power Duels. My direct results indicate the Power duels do not compare. The Jackpot pipe is a far superior piece that is constructed from best material, and welded to perfection. It also carries a lifetime warranty.
I love to build "Hot Rods" but if you are the guy that wants a little bump in power without going into the engine, do yourself a favor and install this exhaust. Your bike will love you for it.

#23 ·
I would like to get the Jackpot 2/1/2 header on my '12 streetglide. Fuel Moto has a great reputation and I ordered my Power Vision tuner from them. It came preloaded with a map for the stage 1 intake I'm using. All I had to do was marry it to my bike and download the provided map. That was great customer service. Regarding the 2/1/2 header, per the dyno charts provided on their site, it looks like the 2/1/2 header will add about 5 hp compared to a stock headpipe. That's a direct comparison with the same bike on the same day equipped with a stage 1 intake, Jackpot mufflers, and Dynojet PC-V. The only difference in the two runs was the stock headpipe vrs the 2/1/2 Jackpot header, so that should be a good direct comparison. Here's the dyno run:

I think a 5 hp peak increase would be noticable by the seat of the pants dyno too. So, I'd like to give this set-up a try. I've currently got the stock headpipe that I gutted the cat out of. It's been fine over the last year but I don't think it's optimum for power. When you gut the cat from the manifold area, it leaves a big gaping hole that I'm sure isn't very efficient at flowing exhaust or creating the correct back pressure. But gutting the cat from the stock head pipe does improve the sound of the bike. It makes it a bit louder with a hollower/deeper tone. It also removes a lot of heat from behind your right foot which is probably the best reason to gut the cat. And it's cheap. I cut a window over the cat material, chiseled out the cat, and had it MIG welded back up for $25 at a local shop and I was back in business. It's way better but it's not a tuned performance header like the Jackpot 2/1/2 is.

#24 ·
Replacing Headers

I'm new to this/fourm. I have 2012 Road King. Cataltic converter and heat is over the top, especially in Florida summer.
HD shop is telling me in order to change headers they recommend: Kit, SE Stage 1 a/c 50MM ($140), KIT-EF1 Super Tuner, Scream ($460) and True Dual Head Pipe ($519) with labor of 7 hours ($560).

I don't mind spending when necessary but this seems HIGH. I see on the Forum "Fuel Moto Headers", are any better. I'm looking for recommendations, suggestions to do a good job, reduce the heat and make the bike sound. I have rehinheart slip ons exhaust.

#25 ·
I'm new to this/fourm. I have 2012 Road King. Cataltic converter and heat is over the top, especially in Florida summer.
HD shop is telling me in order to change headers they recommend: Kit, SE Stage 1 a/c 50MM ($140), KIT-EF1 Super Tuner, Scream ($460) and True Dual Head Pipe ($519) with labor of 7 hours ($560).

I don't mind spending when necessary but this seems HIGH. I see on the Forum "Fuel Moto Headers", are any better. I'm looking for recommendations, suggestions to do a good job, reduce the heat and make the bike sound. I have rehinheart slip ons exhaust.

So your dealer wants you to spend big bucks ?

Have to say I'm shocked, shocked !:laugh

Can you do simple work yourself ?
All this is very very simple in the overall world of mechanics.
D&D supposedly makes a non-remap exhaust that will wipe out most of your heat problems and sound cool to boot.

However;

I just went Rinehart xtereme true duals $400 (retail a grand) on ebay and Fuel Moto intake with Dynojet Power vision $550, and a day of my labor. Sounds great and I can feel the boost. No catalytic converter so that heat is all gone.
If I ever want to go with more stuff (cams) this system is adaptable with no dealer dyno "help".
Or if you want to keep your slip ons look to ebay for a non-cat factory pipe conversion. About $200 w/exchange IIRC.
The factory down pipe actually looks fairly efficient.
Its the Cat thats killing your system.

#27 ·
just take your header pipe off and drill it out, very easy to do and cheap.get a 1 inch paddle bit 16 inchs long and hang on to the drill takes about an half hour to do.gotta pull your o2 sensors out also but no big deal.much cooler running bike.don't let anyone tell you you can't get it all out i have done this on 4 different bikes with good results.ido'nt know why anyone would cut and reweld when you don't have to.

#28 ·
Dont even have to take it off the bike.

I've thought about this with a long electricians bit thats made for wood.
I have several up to 1".
Dont know how solid the cat element is.
If done this way its not going to be perfectly clean inside the can but I would thing a big bit would clean out enough (done in several places) to make a huge difference.
Exhaust gas will find the route of least resistance.

After the mini-gut start the engine and it will blow out the debris before you remount the slip-ons

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.