Harley Davidson Forums banner

NEW isntrument/Dyna's

9K views 35 replies 19 participants last post by  Wrgiacona 
#1 ·
Made the mistake of visiting HD store last eve. and was shown new speedometer/tach combo now available for '04 + Dyna. It is typical tach face w/ digital speed reading and is a plug and play so no having to fool with wiring to install. Capable of giving fuel consumption, gear selection, plus color selection of read outs. Dealer just got one in stock and upon examining appears to be of quality and does look like a serious instrument. Been considering adding a separate tach for the bike, but held off for not wanting anymore clutter on the bars, but all in one does the job. I have always shifted according to speed/sound and not considered tach necessary but believe this may be a nice addition. Running JIMS120 and always curious as to the rpm's vs speed so now I will be able to find out. List price near 300.00 and like I said, made a mistake going down there.

#6 ·
Not sure of the manufacturer but these are two part numbers from the HD parts book. 70900100 ($259.95) and then 70900274 ($299.95). Not really sure of the difference between them as just different model fitments.

Sent from my XT907 using Motorcycle.com Free App

#8 ·
Finally a digital speedometer with a analog tach. combo including fuel consumption , gear counter & all the other pertinent info .
But why take up so much space with an 8000 RPM tach. when it should be a 6000 maybe 7000 RPM at the max ? I mean WTF is that all about ? Who's got a Dyna that'll rev to eight grand ? Why not go ahead & install a 200 MPH speedometer while your at it ! All the poser's out there will surely go for that .

#12 ·
Simple fact you want your instruments to indicate at mid range for normal conditions.

If you expect to spend time at 50 psig then you want a 0-100 psi gauge

If you expect to run 250 degrees you want a 0-500 degree thermometer.

I see nothing wrong with a 120 MPH Speedometer if someone has calculated 60 MPH as optimum cruise, although mine should be 140 MPH maybe even 160. If you intend to spend a lot of time at 100 MPH then by all means a 200 MPH speedometer is right for you.

I do most of my shifting at 4K when winding up so see nothing wrong with a 8K Tachometer.

Digital instruments are not immune to the problems of operating on either end of their scale, they simply provide more accurate indication than analog throughout their useful range.

#9 · (Edited)
Just had mine installed today. It's the 4" model(Dynas) and due to year of my bike, '05, all the possible functions of the instrument does not work/apply. No gear indicator and no fuel/mileage remaining read out. I believe from '07 forward all of these functions would work. Mine will give fuel in tank reading, rpm, speed, trip mileage readout, color selection for back light but believe that's it. My primary reason for going with it was to have the tach read out. Have not picked up the bike yet, going after it in the morning, and was told you have to put believe 32 miles on it for the instrument to "set??" My set up with the JIMS120 seems to really "light up" from what I am guessing is somewhere near 3000rpm, but won't take me a little while riding tomorrow to see just where the power band is on it. It is a good looking unit and to me expensive, but it's on there now.

Additonal info: Well, went and got box/papers and unit also has a clock and the color selection is wide: red, amber/orange, yellow,yellow green, green, green/blue, blue, blue/violet, violet, pink, red shade, white, what more could you ask!!(think I will avoid the pink lighting, must be for girls bikes)

2008 /Dynas have all functions available except range/miles to go. 2009 -2011 Dynas have all functions available. It would appear that the dealer is to download miles on bike when installed and has tamper proof system so as to not be able to alter true mileage on the bike.

#10 ·
Just had mine installed today. It's the 4" model(Dynas) and due to year of my bike, '05, all the possible functions of the instrument does not work/apply. No gear indicator and no fuel/mileage remaining read out. I believe from '07 forward all of these functions would work. Mine will give fuel in tank reading, rpm, speed, trip mileage readout, color selection for back light but believe that's it. My primary reason for going with it was to have the tach read out. Have not picked up the bike yet, going after it in the morning, and was told you have to put believe 32 miles on it for the instrument to "set??" My set up with the JIMS120 seems to really "light up" from what I am guessing is somewhere near 3000rpm, but won't take me a little while riding tomorrow to see just where the power band is on it. It is a good looking unit and to me expensive, but it's on there now.
Let us know how it goes!!

#14 · (Edited)
Waited until afternoon to warm up a bit and picked up bike. As mentioned supposed to put some 32 or so miles on it to have it adjust as they say, and first 15 miles various lights would come on and off. Red light, then orange one, then no lights, then started back up again. Had just over 32 miles on it and last 5 or so, no more lights appearing.
Pulled into dealer back lot where the "crew" usually takes a smoke break and they asked me how it was doing and told them it appears to be "well adjusted" now. Dial lights are now set on white and not the way to go, but instructions tell you that white mode is hard to see in bright sunlight and will adjust to probably green or red tomorrow and see how that works out. Speed indication is a bold window in the lower right corner of the instrument and easy to see w/ tack needle easy to see as well. This JIMS120 always seemed to idle a bit fast for the first couple minutes and initially was reading some 1100rpm's and then settled back to just between 8-900rpm. 5th gear, 70mph is just below the 3000 mark about where I figured it would be. Fuel supply is series of bars similar to power bars on cell phone in left lower corner and easy to see. Supposed to be a clock in there somewhere but have not messed with it yet and will see if I can find it when I change the color. On original speedometer was used to watching needle at 12 o'clock and knew that was 60mph, but will have to get used to seeing just the bold black numbers for speed. Coming back I entered the Interstate and was in 4th gear and gave it a bit of throttle and looked and showed 70mph(speed limit there is 60) and let off and settled down to some 65 or so and fellow with blue light pulled right up beside me and smiled and gave me a thumbs up sign. Don't know if he was telling me I did the right thing or he was a biker himself. I was already in 5th and just cruised on back. Don't know about other places but he law dogs are really cracking down here for speeders.
With court costs/fines, fees, etc. a minimum ticket will set you back some 500.00 plus points. Real early to tell, but believe it is a worthwhile addition to my ride.

#15 ·
I put one of these on my bike last year when they came out. It is an awesome addition and well worth the $300 IMHO. There are so many different color combinations it's unreal.............You can pick it up at some online Harley dealers for far less!

#17 ·
Shift lights have been common in drag racing for decades. The only purpose for the Tach in my brother's Super Gas is rev limiting and to show max RPM AFTER everything is said and done.

As far as "squeezing" the numbers in only away around that is to make a 7K tach with the same dial face size as a 8K which once again takes up the space you where worried about.

Instrumentation is designed for use in the mid range so if you shift at 3500 RPM then get a 7K tach. That's just the way it is do otherwise and you run the risk of getting a "fast or slow" reading over time.

Sounds to me you don't need a Tach at all just get and setup a shift light.

#19 ·
Went back to dealer today and "we" attempted to download all the features color wise into the unit and finally got that where we wanted it, green, established clock feature, B trip meter, and figured good to go. Went down the road for few miles and sure enough, back to original configuration, white and no clock feature or B trip either. I'll tinker with it this weekend for we have good weather next few days. As for ability to read the tach the numbers/needle are easy to see. Top dead center/12 o'clock is 4000 and I may see that from time to time in the lower gears, but if it were reading 4000 in 5th gear I would definitely be well above any known highway speed limit since 70mph is just barely on the 3000 mark. I have noticed that while in 5th gear and rolling along at about 40mph the tack is just above the 1000 mark, close to 1100 I would guess. Not lugging or lopin, just a smooth steady power pulse. When you get old and broke up,retired, you are allowed to have some "toys."

#22 ·
Not being the sharpest knife in the drawer, did finally figure out how to change/store the colors in the tach/speedometer unit as I wanted. Took more than a few attempts and reads of the instructions, but it does work. Noted earlier than my bike w/ JIMS120 was turning at 3000rpm @ 70mph and today took ride on Interstate and on fairly long straight stretch took the bike to 4000rpm and noted that speed was just under 98mph.
Held it there for a short time and the sound is indeed a symphony to hear, but don't suggest riding at these speeds for anyone, but now know that if that bright RED needle is pointing straight up at 12o'clock, 4000rpm, speed is well over the limit in 5th gear. With tach portion being bright red and actual speed, fuel, clock, etc. in bright dark blue makes for a good arrangement. Not going back to dealer for quite a while now.

#23 ·
Out of curiosity, for those with this gauge/tach, do the colors on yours show up during the daylight hours?? Mine only shows the selected colors in low or complete darkness. Could it be that I do not have the brightness feature tuned correctly?? All feedback appreciated.

#24 ·
I can only see mine in the dark. But I haven't messed with it much either.

#25 ·
I took another ride today during daylight hours and colors I had selected did not show, but took out earlier this evening, dark, and they lit up as selected. Would judge for night riding only w/ colors?? I am still getting lights, one red, one orange, flashing off and on and spoke with HD dealer and tomorrow will be back in there to see what is going on with that. My dealer has sold several since last week and told me several were calling and asking similar questions as to me. Will let you know what I find out.

#26 ·
Dakota digital. Has a plug and play speedometer and tack combo. With adjustable Shift point. head temperature. Gear indicator. Clock. Low fuel light. 0 to 60 time. Quarter-mile time. It can give you all that information. But they are $$400 per Harleys are $300. But to be able to read your head temperature in hot weather is probably the most important thing.

3-3/8" Direct Plug-in for 2004- 2011 Dyna and 2004- 2012 Sportster Models

#27 ·
The LED tach/speedo only shows the color combo you have selected in the night because during the daylight it could be hard to see it. This is a safety feature. It shows white light during the day and whatever color/colors you have seetup during the night.

P.S. cup your hands over the entire speedo during the day to block the light and you will see it change colors

"louder the bike, smaller the penis" .... Mine must be TINY!

#30 ·
New Tachometer

Just installed the new Harley analog/digital tachometer/speedometer on my 2004 Sportster. Part# 70900274. I didn't cheat and put a minimal number of miles on it, I put the actual, but that was only a little over 9000. The unit will not work without at least something be loaded on to it. On my 2004 Sportster I am able to install the tachometer, my main reason for buying the unit, speedometer, trip meter, and clock. That's it. And almost infinite number of colors can be had. I used the blue since my bike is blue and black. Red was a bit hard to read in the sunlight. As to who manufactured this unit well, on the box it says Parts from Switzerland, Assembled in USA, looks like in Milwaukee WI. Installations wasn't so much trouble but it was a little bit of a pain in the butt getting everything set. Toggling back and forth and waiting for it register was time consuming. And on something's if you weren't fast enough you had to start over, like the clock for instance was a pain. But aside from all that I love the unit, it looks great and it's nice to know the RPM of the engine.. I love it and would recommend it to anyone thinking about it.

#33 ·
Mine came in two days ago for my 13' StreetBob and will have it installed sometime next week. I got the black face unit and all functions will work according to the dealer. I drive by the tach, and can barely make out that one in the window. That's a joke.

I have the full Stave IV race kit installed in my 103 motor and the low end torque is unreal. Just got it two weeks ago this past Friday and have 831 miles on it. I can definitely feel the motor starting to 'seat'. It is going to definitely have some serious grunt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.