Harley Davidson Forums banner

Pilot screw

2K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  SCHMIDTY 
#1 ·
Just rebuilt the CV carb on my 04 sporty. I'm hoping that she just needed a good cleaning from being in storage. Worth a try before I start messing with the jets. It's running a .42 intermediate jet and a 180 main jet. Where should I set the pilot jet screw for the first start and adjustment? Thanks!

#3 ·
A 42 is rather lean, IMHO. I'd be running a 45. Leave the 180 main.

You can run the 45 pilot, and start at 1 turn out.

#4 ·
I was having problems with it running lean. I'm running exhaust with no baffles and had it jetted in GA several years back. It ran great there, but I got to AZ and started having problems with it spitting back through the breather every 10-15 seconds.

It stayed in storage for a long time without being started so I'm hoping it just needs a good cleaning since the elevation between GA and AZ isn't that far off. If this doesn't work I'll give the 45 intermediate a try. Thanks!

#5 ·
How close are you to a dealer? If it's crazy far or something I can mail ya one.....

Figure out what's faster and PM me your addy if you need one.

#6 ·
That's really nice of you man. I was just going to order one off the web. I just took it for a test run and everything is good except it's still spitting at low throttle (cruising around 55 mph in 5th gear). Is this something that can be fixed with the pilot jet screw?

#13 ·
Just an update on this: Thanks to Dave's kindness, I installed my .45 jet. I did no adjusting to anything else on the bike. I think the pilot screw is about 2 turns out right now. The bike is running much MUCH better now. I felt a slight hesitation in the throttle that was so minute that I questioned if it was just in my head or not. I rode the bike about 27 miles and it only cut out and spit back through the breather once (as opposed to once every 15-30 seconds before). I think that the hesitation and random spit back can be adjusted out. Any suggestions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.