Harley Davidson Forums banner

Electric HD????? Livewire Project.

20K views 119 replies 53 participants last post by  SoftailBilly 
#1 ·
SCOOP: Electric Harley-Davidson Livewire Nearing Production

Photo by Lee Young-ho/Sipa USA

In a bombshell that would seem to be an April Fools joke, we believe Harley-Davidson will be building a production motorcycle powered by electric power, named "Livewire." Harley filed a trademark application for the name on Nov. 1, 2012 with the USPTO, then also filed for a trademark in the EU on Nov. 2, 2012 which was approved March 13, 2013. This is potentially game-changing news, and if this indeed turns out to be true, it will give a whole new meaning to "The Motor Company."

Motorcycle.com has acquired images of this new motorcycle, which was first published by British tabloid the Daily Mail from the set of the next Avengers movie, currently filming in Seoul, South Korea. While this initially appears to be a far cry from anything H-D has built in the past, these photos clearly show a lack of an exhaust pipe on either side, a big, square shape resembling a battery where an engine would be, no clutch or shift lever, and most telling of all the Harley-Davidson logo across the faux gas tank.

Photo by Lee Young-ho/Sipa USA

More: SCOOP: Electric Harley-Davidson Livewire Nearing Production on Motorcycle.com

See less See more
#4 ·
I like the teaser video. It looks/sounds pretty awesome...my opinion.

#5 ·
Chick in a skin suit, wearing no helmet, a drop leg holster with a Glock and a punch dagger......what movie is this off of?

I suppose the battery could support an mp3 sound file and speaker to give it that potato potato potato sound.:what?

#7 ·
The question is, if HD started producing them and the price point was right, would you buy one. For around town use, and that's probably what it would be limited to, I would.

#13 ·
Looks like its designed to handle well also, with the steering geometry it appears to have.

The Street model debuted in the Marvel Captain America movie, this appearance in the Avengers movie may be a legit preview of whats to come.

Interesting evolution of the MoCo.

#14 ·
I'm not a huge fan of the design, but it's cool for that type of bike.

I will tell you this… I've driven a Tesla, and if that bike is anything like it, it'll be one FAST, seriously quick SOB. I was a serious skeptic before I drove the Tesla, but when I finally did, I was "HOLY SH*TTING" through the entire experience. It was funny, 'cause the only thing you hear is the tire treads burning rubber (although traction is phenomenal). What I really loved was doing 70, hitting the accelerator and feeling the absolutely immediate and super powerful response. Pretty bad ass.

#15 ·
When I saw the bike in an article two days ago, I thought no freaking way...Then I saw the teaser video and LOVED the way it sounded. It reminds me of a supercharger whine. It looks pretty good IMO. Im glad HD is breaking away from the traditional and focusing on more...performance bikes, although green.... electric bikes have proven their worth.

Would love it if one day they made a true sport/naked bike, with maybe the Revolution engine?

#22 ·
Well, since they're making 2 automobiles that don't go fast, don't go far and catch on fire, and an airplane that lights up too, may as well have a motorcycle that does the same thing. We love the smell of burning lithium in the morning ;). I wonder how much of your hidden tax payer dollars are paying for this thing ?

#24 ·
The thing I think is really funny about the "Gore" crowd is; where do thing this electricity is coming from? Coal baby. If Obummer closes the coal plants and we start paying mega bucks for electricity on already overburdened infastructure (remember the rolling blackouts?), then these things do not make any sense.

#27 ·
I like the Idea of electric although I'm not sure what kind of insanity would come about on a nearly quiet bike with not radio a may just start talking and singing to myself...oh wait never mind I can't wait until technology catches up and the electrics can go 200+ miles per charge and charge in 20 mins then I'd just have to convince all the watering holes to have charging stations....hmm...

Update: just found it on h-d.com but the link it sends you to isn't working yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.