Harley Davidson Forums banner

What would you do?

8K views 72 replies 46 participants last post by  Brain Dead 
#1 ·
Riding the other day wife an I traffic was heavy but very liveable. Divided high way I was in the fast lane speed limit was 35 to 55 miles an hour. Car passes me on the right giving the finger an swearing like a sailor didn't understand the issue cause no one in front of us for at least a quarter mile traffic behind traffic was a ways back yes I was doing over the speed limit but not passing anybody. Well at the light this chicks going off giving us the finger foul mouth an then throws a lit hot box cigarette on to my wife sitting on the back. Burned her hand trying to get rid of it but nothing to serious just the whole thing chapped my ass. Won't say what I did but am interested what others would do

#2 ·
I'll just be the devils advocate. I live in Europe and camping out in the left lane is a big no-no. If traffic was way ahead of you and you weren't passing anyone, why were you in the left lane? You should have moved over if they were coming up behind you.
I have been in both spots at much higher speeds. Rolling along at 145+ MPH and someone comes up on you fast you better get over quick.
Granted the cussing and flipping a cigarette was way out of line and is borderline assault.
I was always taught to keep right unless to pass. And all the signs on the highway remind me of that too.

#68 ·
As your opinion is fine with me, but in my mind, if I traveling slightly higher than the speed limit, and no one around me, and I'm in the left lane, I'm not changing lanes, if you feel the need to go faster, then you can change lanes and go on your marry way, if you want to flip me off,and call me names, well! that wont hurt my feelings, but you trough something at me! I promise you wont like what happens, I wont tell you what this will be, but it will cost you plenty of George Washingtons

#5 ·
Most traffic in right was turning off hiway into tourist trap. I keep a close eye on traffic behind but in this situation people where pulling off constantly. I was passing people in the slow lane. I am a big advocate of just using the right lane for passing an there was no time I held this young lady up. Personally I thing she came out of one of the tourist traps.

#6 ·
The flipping the lit cigarette and causing damage IS assault. Ideally, you could have gotten he license plate number and reported her to the cops, but I like Rosconey's idea a lot better.

#8 ·
I agree.

But then again..........I'm a "hands-on" kind of person.

#9 ·
I would have had the wife snap a few pics to get the make model, license plate. Maybe secure a few witnesses and then called the cops. That type of jackwad is likely to win a lawsuit if you take the actions that make the most sense.

Reactions: Slandrew
#10 ·
I'm curious....what DID you do? Tough situation, on the one hand you've got your wife on the back so you cant ride hard enough to chase her down, but on the other hand the tossed cig IS assault....

#15 ·
I think that lady must have been in Seattle a few years ago. Same thing happened to us but without the cigarette. Still have no idea what her problem was.

OZman; said:
I still have some fat lady in a minivan that says salt life in purple letters on the back that I'm looking for from about two years ago. I will find her....
I'm still looking for a guy in an older Mercedes that wears sweater vests. He got away due to heavy traffic.

Makes me consider having one of these.

#70 ·
a few ball bearings in your windshield bag will get the point across.
THIS right here ! Ball bearings (or double 00 buckshot) are the biker's friend !
Not a whole hand full, just one or two over the shoulder when the cage is behind ya. They'll get the message !

#18 ·
I was on a back road maybe for 20 miles and I swear she's trying to run me down. I pulled over where I got a place that I could do so safely and let her by. We got up to the stop sign and I stayed back from her a little ways. When she went to pull out she probably figured I was right behind her and slammed on the brakes. The bad part for her is that she has been to my house as my wife sells primitive crafts and she had bought something from her, so I know what the van looks like, and I know the neighboring town she lives in. She is fat and I will find her.....

#19 ·
Back when I-280 was still 55 in NJ a turkey was doing exactly that in the left passing lane, would not move over. I was on 500 2 stroke Suzy. That very good handling fast bike so it took no time for me to get through stalled traffic behind this smuck. I flashed my lights and he sticks arm out window and flexes his fingers twice. Five Five. Oh chit. Swing into middle lane, I am next to him and he got this chit eating grin on his face like he just finished masturbating and it was good too.
I have some quarters in my jacket pocket for tolls. Get slightly in front and about $2.25 left my hand, hit the windshield. Damn he didn't think much of that. But he couldn't catch me. We doing like 90 up the hill. I kept putting my hand up, Five Five, but he didn't get the joke. Get up to the octopus intersection at top of hill and I easily distance him. A$$hole seems upset, but he finally gave up.

tarheel

#20 ·
Back when I-280 was still 55 in NJ a turkey was doing exactly that in the left passing lane, would not move over. I was on 500 2 stroke Suzy. That very good handling fast bike so it took no time for me to get through stalled traffic behind this smuck. I flashed my lights and he sticks arm out window and flexes his fingers twice. Five Five. Oh chit. Swing into middle lane, I am next to him and he got this chit eating grin on his face like he just finished masturbating and it was good too.
I have some quarters in my jacket pocket for tolls. Get slightly in front and about $2.25 left my hand, hit the windshield. Damn he didn't think much of that. But he couldn't catch me. We doing like 90 up the hill. I kept putting my hand up, Five Five, but he didn't get the joke. Get up to the octopus intersection at top of hill and I easily distance him. A$$hole seems upset, but he finally gave up.

tarheel
I would imagine it's more difficult to drive a standard shift vehicle with one hand.......

#26 ·
30 sum years ago I saw what I thought was a cigarette being thrown out of a car in front of me as I was riding at night, the orange glow flew out and bounced onto the road.....then it blew up. As5whole's threw an m80 , not a cigarette butt.

Throwing a lit cigarette is like slapping a man is the face with a glove and challenging him to a dual.

How would I react? Depends on how many eye witness's there are and the time of day.

If you can find where she lives , maybe you can give her back what she dropped. Collect every cigarette butt you can find, collect them from work, truck stops, if you live near an Army base , hit up all of their butt cans, you'll have trash bags full it a few minutes. Take them to her house and empty them into her car. Throw in any road kill you find and a stinky litter box too just for the hell of it.

#29 ·
I would try to forget what happened.

A lit cigarette thrown to wife is neither forgettable nor forgiveable. However, I personally need to be absolutely faultless before reacting. Occupying the left lane unless overtaking a vehicle is unacceptable in my country (even if many drivers do so). Her reaction is very provocative, indeed. On the other hand, I tend to be less provoked as my age goes older.

Forget it. She is not worth revenge, especially a planned one. :|

#30 ·
Left lane is passing, whether or not you are going the speed limit, or above. If you are no longer passing someone, you are legally supposed to get in right lane. People who want by you, and being forced to pass in the right hand causes wrecks. Thats why officers never pass on the right, its super dangerous.

I understand you staying in left lane, but really. You should be in right lane if you aren't passing people, speeding or not. i have no comment on the rest, thats just childish behavior. road rage is a thing that gets people hurt. I avoid it.

#31 ·
Sorry, but camping out in the left lane is not right.
It is one of things that annoy me the most.
In fact most states have signs stating "Slower traffic keep right."
She sounds like a jerk, but I'd have been pissed if you were making me pass you on the right...

#32 ·
First of let me say camping in the fast lane is not what this was. It was hundred miles of three miles single lane an two miles of dual lane.
Secondly this spoiled brat of a kid was having a bad day an decided to unload it on my wife an I was a bad decision. Since the first thing she did was pull into a dead end parking lot.
Now I'm pretty confident she will not throw anything at anybody with out a lot of thought in the future.
An yes I despise anybody riding the fast lane an blocking traffic. Guess you would of had to experience it.
I thank everybody for their opinions an appreciate it.
This road rage incident was unfortunate an she's lucky it was me an not some half cocked out law.

#35 ·
You can't tell only half the story..........Go big or go back to mama's house!

#36 ·
I'm going to give sawyer the benefit of the doubt, here. I know lots of multi-lane, congested situations where through traffic stays in the left lane(s).

If you drive in Washington, there are lots of situations where the right lane leaves the freeway or highway with little warning. In a congested situation, where speeds change a lot, right-lanes leave very suddenly. If you know the area, you know what to avoid. If you don't you get lost quick.

Not defending left-lane campers in any way. I use the left lane frequently in heavy traffic just to provide some distance from most cars. But, I do keep my speed a little faster than the flow so I'm passing. When the road is empty or traffic light, I use the appropriate (right) lane.

#40 ·
Yesterday, while riding from one factory to another (yeah, I get to ride the bike on company time), I'm westbound on I-70 in St. Louis in the center lane when this female starts coming into my lane, I hit the horn, and she looks at me and shrugs her shoulders! She wasn't in any hurry to return to her own lane either!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.