Harley Davidson Forums banner

Mom defends allowing her 7-year-old to ride on the back of a motorcycle

5K views 49 replies 27 participants last post by  Slandrew 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Good for her. Had my young un riding on on his own at the age of five on a JR 50 Suzuk. Sure, he busted his azz a couple time's but that's what we call taking a chance and living and spending time together. Dam, wish I could go back and relive it.:smile

#3 ·
Let's see: Kid is 7, legal age is 5. Kid has all the gear, rider is competent and trusted by mother. All laws complied with fully. Busybody a-hole makes noise in an arena that is ABOSLUTELY NONE OF HER BUSINESS. Eff the busybody idiot poking a nose where it don't belong. Go raise your own kids!

#4 ·
Hanging off back of crotch rocket hmmm... Not much support for little kid hang on too if she loses a gripe on rider.

#5 ·
Good for her... Think of the memories being made and the seed that is being planted for the love of 2 wheels... I wouldn't change a thing but I wonder what it would of been like if I grew up around motorcycles instead of starting at the age of 24

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Seems like I can remember a thread long time ago that had to do with riding kids on motorcycles. I started out riding myself fairly young on briggs and stratton trap and then on small yz and rm dirt bikes. Didn't ride on back of big street bike until 9 or 10 but had already been riding anyway.
I rode my sons at a early age but we lived in a very small town and with hardly any traffic. So I'm in the "its O.K camp" but having said that where I live now I've watched some young guys riding ATV and dirtbikes with under five kids with no gear and riding in what I call dangerous manner..speeding around traffic and just plain reckless like 55-60 in 35 mph zones.
So I guess a little good and bad in everything?

#11 ·
When I was about 3 or 4 my dad had a servi-car that I actually remember riding on. The day I remember in particular we went out to the dump at Galena AFB and "my buddies" were shooting a .50 cal mounted on a jeep and I got to shoot it, with a little help.

When I was about 7 or 8 he got a bike in Sitka, a Honda I think, and took me for a ride one sunny afternoon. This was probably before they even made helmets for kids. My ball cap blew off and I twisted on the back seat trying to catch it. I will never forget that ass chewing!

My dad was a terrible influence on me...

#12 ·
When I was little, I used to sit in front of my dad on the edge of the tank. It wasn't scary. I don't think I'd put a kid under 12 on the back of a bike with no sissy bar, but to each, his own.

#13 ·
Some state's laws are written that it would be illegal to have a child sit in front of you.
Their laws state that the passenger's feet must reach the pegs.

#24 ·
Had that problem with a Leo when I was riding around with my kid on my sportster. No tickets were issued. Maybe because he was a bike Leo. Just had a little chat. Put the kid between me and my wife to get home. He fell asleep. Next day went out and got some clamp on pegs. Put them on the down tubes. Worked perfect. Feet on pegs, bands on the bars.
He was always asking to go for a ride after that.

#14 ·
I have a short sissy with pad and take my 7-year-old granddaughter around the neighborhood at 5 to 10 mph once in a while. She loves it. She wears a helmet. I won't take her or any other kid more than around the block without better riding gear or more training. This particular granddaughter will konk out on me, so I don't want to take her around more than I do right now. She's kinda hyperactive and burns out quickly. I pat or shake her leg when I suspect she's drifting off.

My daughter is a biker chick. She started riding with me when she was about 9 or 10. I took her on a several day run from Boise, to Glacier Park, to Red Lodge and Bear Tooth, Yellowstone and back to Boise when she was 14. That's a trip she still talks about. Her dream is to get her own Harley and take a long trip with Dad.

Taking kids on a bike in a responsible, safe way has to be a positive thing.

Now, I don't recommend doing this now, but back in the early 70's, I was riding home from work (I was stationed at the Submarine Force HQ in Norfolk, VA at the time). I took this back road to the main road that went into the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel. It was mostly residential and slow, but cut off a lot of traffic then. A little boy was on a street corner crying. Tender sucker that I am, I stopped and talked to him. He was lost and didn't know where his home was. I asked him some things about the color of his house and such. He was a little guy, so I knew he couldn't have gotten far from home. So, I got him on the tank in front of me and slowly drove down what I thought was his street. He pointed to a house and said it was his, so I stopped and let him off the bike. About then, his mother came running out of the house. I told her where I found him and went on my way.

I'd never recommend putting a kid in front. The above was just an expedient.

#15 ·
Mom's HAWT......

#16 ·
She's an expert at getting pregnant, but not an expert at being married.

Whoops, wrong thread.

Do you suppose those holes in her cheeks leak? :think

#17 ·
I had no idea that it was something that needed to be defended...

#19 ·
There was a time when people minded their own business. These days it seems people feel empowered to get into your business even when doing something legal.

Yesterday my sister and I were at Home Depot buying an air conditioner and some lights. She had her little service dog with her. Other folks happened to also have a dog on a leash. Some old bat decided to get in my sis' face and scream at her for having a dog in HD. I was in a different aisle and by the time I heard "dog" and went running the woman had gone down a different aisle.

This isn't the first time someone has gotten into her face over one thing or another and we are trying to figure out why. She is 5'3 and I am 5'8. No one has ever gotten in my face like that so I wonder if it's because she is small. We don't have a clue.

#21 ·
I used to take a lot of flack for taking my son to pre-K every morning on the back of my bike and picking him up on the bike in the afternoon. I still remember him standing out by the curb holding his helmet by the strap, waiting for me to drive up. No one's business but mine. Note: he survived and has his own kids and bike and takes them out now. No one's business but his.

#25 ·
I take my daughter to school on the back of my bike, she loves it. I have told both of my kids that they must be able to reach the passenger pegs before they can ride with me. My son just turned 7 a couple of months ago and he can't wait lol, he's always asking to sit on the back so he can see if he can reach the pegs now.
I do tend to get some of those "looks" from some of the teacher and other parents but eff em, it's not their kid and not their business. I think what really pisses em off is their kids always come and talk to my daughter about riding on the bike lol.

#29 ·
Let's see. I drank water straight out of the garden hose. Drank milk straight out if the cow. Rode in the back of dad's pickup. Played outside when I was 7 till the street lights came on without adult supervision. Layer on the back parcel shelf of my dad's big Buick. Rode on the back of my uncles motorcycle when I was 7. Rode my bike down to the swimming hole in the creek with my buddies and went swimming without adult supervision when I was 8. Ate carrots right out of the ground. Went hunting gophers with my 22 and my buddies when I was 10. Damn it it amazing that I have lasted 64 years. Now they want to put kids in a big bubble. I say let the little one ride on.

#33 ·
I remember leaving the house at sunrise to go play when I was 6. We lived in Richmond VA, in a rural development that was still being built. 1976. I would go to the construction site and watch the bulldozers run, and play in the dirt.

When I was 8 we moved to PA, and my friends and I would trek through the woods to a local pond and fish for bass. We rode 2 stroke dirt bikes, played tackle football, and smear the queer. Jumped from rooves of houses into sand piles. We pooped in the woods and wiped our butts with leaves.

My 17 year old son has never done any of that, and I'm having to push him to get his drivers license. He can run through any video game you give him without dying once, scored a 5 on his AP Chemistry test and got a $96k Presidential grant for college, but he's never been in a fist fight, never broken a bone, and never failed at anything he has tried.

I guess that's a good childhood, but I worry about how he will react when life starts being a dick to him.

He's smart, and calm, and wise. Probably a better person than I am, but he's not had much adversity.

I guess, I'll just try to be there to help when he encounters some real ****ery.

Is this real life anymore?

#44 ·
Read all the posts and agree with them. I take my grand kids for a ride when they ask. I have 8 of them little wiper snappers, I have given all a ride at one time or another. Starting them early is just a good idea, they can learn responsible riding before, they grow up and get out with someone that has not been taught safety and responsibility. I see them all the time running down the highway well over 85+ zooming in and out of traffic on those crotch rockets! I think when I see them, I'll probably see them again on the 6:00 o-clock news. At least my grand kids when they get older and are out by themselves or with their friends will have some basis for what should be. Oh by the way, two of them one 8 and one 13 are serious motocross riders, they qualified this past weekend for the Loretta Lynn Regionals, in their respective classes, and this past winter, they were racing in the KTM Super Motorcross Invitational @ AT&T Stadium in Arlington TX.. Guess I taught their dad a little about riding and he is passing it on! There is a place and time to go fast, given the right supervision, it makes for good responsible adults.
Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.