Harley Davidson Forums banner

Unsecured cargo takes out bike

5K views 42 replies 32 participants last post by  FLYING TIGER 
#1 ·
#5 ·
Noticed those concerned drivers, too. We routinely have to dodge stuff from unsecured loads down here. Ask the cops about it and they just shrug. We get everything from scrap lumber to extension ladders across the roads.

#9 ·
You should always be driving faster than traffic. You should never be following something you cannot see in front of, if you can see in front of it you need to pass it or be in another lane.

Always assume the dickhead in the pickup truck did not tie shitt down at all.

Always assume the trucker is one of the new truckers , as in non professional

Any truck hauling livestock with a ranch name on it is 40 ton of moving cargo being driven by someone who drives twice a year and thinks they are gods gift to trucking.

Never be beside a truck. Wait at the rear behind the truck until its clear all the way to the front of it, then pass that phucker as fast as the bike will go.

Any car with dents, has them for a reason, the person driving it does not give a shitt about anything.

Any car with plastic for one of its windows is filled with someone who does not give a shitt

When overtaking a car, even legally, they will speed up and then think you are the problem when you cut in ... point being the machine has lots of horses, use them to get around the car before it knows what it happening.

any car that lane drifts is to be passed.

Cars with kids in them are not to be trusted at all.

other than that sit back and enjoy the ride!

#19 ·
If he wasn't before, he is now. Some lessons are more painful than others.

Reactions: peanut
#17 ·
I was going down a street in OKC today in my truck; first thing I saw in the road was what appeared to be some sort of large stuffed animal. The I saw bedding, and then more large stuffed animals. Shortly I overtook a pickup with shite steadily falling out of it. Looked to me like a couple of Obama voters were moving in a hurry with everything just thrown into the back of the truck or wrapped in blankets. The woman driving could barely see over the steering wheel and was oblivious to all the junk falling off as she went. Would have created quite a hazard for any bikers following.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#18 ·
One of the worst vehicles to avoid are those idiot landscaper trucks with trailers, I've seen plastic garbage cans fly out of the trailers, and almost got hit with a garden hose laying on top of the trailer.
By far my worst hit was not getting around a log truck fast enough, chunk of wood fell off and nailed me in the knee.. I saw stars.. while doing 70 mph.

#22 ·
damn !!!! I guess he's lucky in that that could have ended worse but it was still bad.

Monday I fell in behind a city dump truck full of trash and it had no back tail gate and I thought, I'd hate to be behind him on my bike as some of that is coming out if he gets up any speed.

#24 ·
I always look for the idiots with lumber or what ever, especially large beds tied on top of their cars with the little thin string provided by box stores. Those are the scariest. I do not like to even try passing them on the motorcycle.

#28 ·
Had a buddy of mine a few years ago down around Miami who had a 4x8 sheet of plywood launch off of a car top and sail right over his bike at 70+. It just barely cleared his windshield, and he now knows what his seat tastes like.

#25 ·
In Houston, we dub that "Mexican Danger". Too many POS pickups. flatbeds with crap tied down with who knows what, carpet dudes with carpet rolls sticking out the back of a panel van and POS trailers with lawn equipment, bags of plants and grass..... I refuse to get behind them.

#29 ·
If you've ever driven I71 / I75 south of Cincinnati you know it's a crazy busy stretch. Couple of years ago, I had my Softail Duece on the trailer heading north in the #3 lane (3rd from the right of 4 lanes) flowing along with the congestion. I noticed that traffic seemed to be moving to one side or the other ahead of me in my lane only. I quickly glanced in my mirrors saw that I had some room on the left and eased over to the left just in time to go around an over-stuffed lazy boy recliner sitting in the middle of my lane! And yes, it was in the extended position but at least it was facing oncoming traffic and not across the lane. I quickly steered back into my lane and checked my shorts. My beautiful bride then got on the phone and contacted the state patrol. They thanked us for the info!

We stopped for a coffee break within 5 miles.

#30 ·
I hate following trucks, especially those junkers with everything tied down with 2-3 ratchet straps. I don't care what the speed limit is, I always get in front of them ASAP.

#32 ·
^^ Some days you eat the bear...........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.