Harley Davidson Forums banner

Hand Signals, who uses them?

5K views 37 replies 31 participants last post by  Silverback 
#1 ·
So yesterday as I was making my way home I grabbed the super slab to make it in time to get the kids from the bus.

As I usually do when there is more than "normal" traffic I use hand signals as I just find it easier.

Well this guy starts following me and pulls along side me when we stop at the bottom of an off ramp. He proceeds to ask me with his best tough guy look, "why was I giving him the finger?".

I proceeded to tell him while returning my best menacing look that those are called hand signals and you should have learned them when you received your drivers license. Then i continued to ask, what if I did give you the finger?
I got a puppy dog look and a "my bad".

Amazing how quick some people are looking for a confrontation over their own ignorance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#15 ·
I agree about the right hand signal thing. I've ridden an old Sportster so long...so VERY long...hand signals are just a total habit with me. The electronic signals on that old bike are VERY unreliable, so I've just hand signaled for years and years. Even when on my late model Dyna, I still use 'em a lot, just out of habit. And that right turn hand signal...that one I've learned to just flash and TURN as in Right NOW. Automobile drivers in today's streets are as likely to look UP to try to figure out what you're pointing at as they are to know what that means.

#8 ·
I always use both, hand and bike, and this one:upyours for libtards cages, you know, the left lane hogs, the one that switch lanes and cut you off, and the fuggers that look right at you then at the last second pull out in front of you. Hey, only stands to reason that their libtards.

#11 ·
We had to learn them when we started riding bicycles 'cuz they don't have turn signals.

I ONLY use hand signals. Don't have signals on the bike. Just have to make damn sure you look well before you move.

#12 ·
I wonder if the hand signals are even mentioned in drivers' ed courses. I seldom use them anymore because most of the people out there are too busy monitoring their text messages and face plant pages to notice. As it is, most seldom even notice the light signals. As mentioned previously, I DO use an occasional universally understood hand signal or two.

Reactions: slingshot383
#13 ·
I wonder if the hand signals are even mentioned in drivers' ed courses...
I asked my 16 year old grandson if they learned about hand signals in driver's ed. He looked at me as if I had two heads. They are not even mentioned in the course. Back in my day...no, let's not go there. I use hand signals and bike turn signals when shifting lanes. I decided that for turns, hand signals seem to confuse the cage drivers.

#20 ·
I use hand signals when I'm riding with a group of people but I only use them when there is a lot of traffic and I'm changing lanes. But I don't usually ride in areas where there is a lot of traffic because I like to ride on the back roads and twisties.

#21 ·
Followed a old pick up this summer, not restored, looked original he used them. With no brake lights either.

I use both during daylight.

#24 ·
I often use both. I especially use hand signals with my flasher, if I am riding in front of other bikes. I also give a hand signal 100 yds. ahead of time, to make sure my "friends" are aware that we'll be turning soon. Yep, I had a daydreamer rear end me the first week I had the Electra Glide. No, we no longer ride together.

#27 ·
I have to use it just about every morning on the way to work. My office is about 150 ft from a major intersection that I have to cross and then turn into. It is about three blocks from an elementary school and crazy parents are trying to get their little rug rats there on time and are right on my tail. I use my blinkers and hands and am 100% ready to not make the turn every time.

#28 ·
Last bike I had without blinkers was 45 years ago.They(hand signals) seem to have re-gained some popularity in the last 5 or so years but mostly just someone pointing left at about a 45 degree angle well after they've committed to changing lanes.

I can see the benefit when riding in a group but the average driver (IMHO) doesn't have a clue what a right hand or stop signal even is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.