Harley Davidson Forums banner

Oil change

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Phdharley50 
#1 ·
I recently bought a '94 fxdwg with 19600 miles on it. It runs and rides great. The oil does need changing though. It's black as tar and almost as thick. I had thought about flushing the block and trans (seeing as how they are connected) but not sure how or even if I should. What do you guys think? What should I use if I do flush and how should I go about it? Thanks.

#2 ·
Just do a complete oil & filter change and then maybe do it again sooner than normal if you think it needs it, say after 500 miles. That way you dont risk leaving any non oil flushing material inside and that gives it time to really flush. Black as tar and almost as thick is normal for cold used 50w.

#3 ·
I recently bought a '94 fxdwg with 19600 miles on it. It runs and rides great. The oil does need changing though. It's black as tar and almost as thick. I had thought about flushing the block and trans (seeing as how they are connected) but not sure how or even if I should. What do you guys think? What should I use if I do flush and how should I go about it? Thanks.
They're connected but the fluids are separated by compartments.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.