Harley Davidson Forums banner

City Riding

2K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  big john@dog 
#1 ·
This might sound crazy, but wondering if anyone else has ever thought the same way!

But I kinda miss riding in a big city, just remembering years ago when I lived in burbs of a few big cities.
I could jump on bike and ride in known less traffic areas and still be around town..hard to explain! Ride for a couple hours 40 45 mph and see a lot and have a nice ride...sometimes at night I really liked it!

Many of times in evening I'd just felt like riding and it might be 9:00-10:00 P.M and head out for a hour or two..maybe stop at some neighborhood bar and grab a bite?? this was a while ago...but I remember it and it was a blast and very relaxing.

#2 ·
always a trade off but I do fondly recall enjoying some late night, side road wondering around through the city.
one night I rode the 4 corners of the city, passing by 5 different places I'd lived in over the years... just to casually check 'em out.
didn't plan it... just sorta happened while I was enjoying the late night, mostly open roads.

usually can start riding a little earlier in the city too... where winters ice and snow tend to hang on a little longer out in the boonies.

that said... I've got bro's I can go visit in town with a couch to crash on, if I really feel the need.
It would take a lot more than that to get me to move back into the city life.

Reactions: tlg1100
#3 ·
Now that you mention riding in a big city I lived in Detroit for a few years back in the late 70's and early 80's had a car and a BSA. I took classes across the street for the Old Packard plant on East Grand Blvd. and rode the bike their . and rode all over the Detroit area . I lived in Hamtramck. I don't think today I would rush down their to take a ride or want to do a lot of thru traffic riding in the inner City . With all the crazies and crack heads . I drove semi down their doing road construction in the Early 2000's and it was nuts and I had the semi . I like and love the Country roads up here in the Sticks of the Thumb Of Michigan . But you ride were you Live and do what you have to too enjoy 2 wheels.:smile

#7 ·
#4 ·
Lived in southern California for a while. A freeway commute of two hours could be done
in 20 minutes with lane splitting, which was allowed. not for everyone.

The last day I lived there, I had to run over a loose tire on the freeway. It had just fallen from
the back of a truck, I had no time to swerve but did manage to stand up on the pegs (this was
a BMW, give me a break) and did not lay her down.

No. I do not miss riding in the big city.

Now I commute 40 miles to work in Kansas. some interstate is optional but I prefer the two lane.

#5 ·
I've never lived in a BIG city, but used to like night riding in the sprawling beach communities of Florida. The glow of my instrument lights, and flashes of my signals, just made it different. I am scared to night ride here in rural Georgia, I've seen deer in my city neighborhood, and they run in gangs out where it's dark! :eek-surprise

#13 ·
No a fan of city ridin..... rural roads in the hills and ravines are my choice!
Thats just like where I live now and love it, no doubt! I have to drive 19 miles to get anything besides gas, which is great.

I was just reminiscing bout the riding enjoyment I had living in the city! It was cool, not talking bout bumper to bumper traffic and all the headaches that could happen..

Reactions: BikerPepe`
#11 ·
Yup, me too, Jeff. I just rode down 501 to Carolina Forest to get a doz of bagels and the traffic going to the beach was ridicules, but that's typical 501 traffic with 90% drivers driving in the left lane. Much prefer country back roads.

Reactions: jpassh2o
#12 ·
Most of my life was lived in So Cal. Commuted to work on the bike except for rainy days. Weekends it was 2 hours or more of frequently clogged up freeway to get to some nice riding country. Granted, beautiful awesome roads for riding.

Now I live in rural Kentucky. Five minutes from my garage to any rural road going in any direction. I wouldn't trade it.

#15 ·
I do like to ride in the downtown section of the city, a little bit. I get to play with the throttle and listen to the pipes more. My commute starts out in the mountains on a twisty back road with no lines painted on it. Then it's 2 lane mountain highway till I get onto the valley floor and still 2 lane till I get close to the city I work in. It becomes a 6 lane for the last 10 miles or so to take me downtown, lane splitting as need be. It's kinda cool cause I get a little bit of everything that way. About 100 miles a day as long as it's not raining or snowing. Then it's the cage. The weekends? As much 2 lane twisty as I can ride on! That's where I love to just cruise with the Mrs. on the back soakin' up the scenery and chillin'. Stopping if we want, riding if we don't.

#20 ·
Like Rick..
I rode and covered the same kind of areas..especially the racing up and down woodward.
.nowadays..to many a holes on cells, texting ,yacking..some areas have really changed..I guess you best be packing. Cause they are.. my times sure have changed..not for the better either..just sayn.

Rick I bet we probably crossed paths a time or 2 back then.

#21 ·
Hey Rick I lived on Talbot between Conut and Mound road for a while North of Caniff

Then I lived on Hewitt west of Jos coumpau and south of Holbrook about 2 1/2 Blocks From Dodge Main plant in Hamtramck

My Busia lived on Eldrigde it was 1 block north of Talbot I lived across the alley and 3 hose up from her house . THe New Delux Bakery was at the end of her street at Counut . And the Good time café Bar it was one of those bars they buzzed you in the inner door if they didn't know you . You weren't getting in and if you didn't leave on your own free will they would remove you from the entry . It was a Polish thing and a old Army Veteran's Bar . this was in the late 70's

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.