Harley Davidson Forums banner

Heading to Wyoming

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  stlouiscruiser 
#1 ·
Ladies and gents,
Every summer my brother and I meet to ride our bikes on a 7-10 day trip. He lives near Seattle and I live near St. Louis. He rides a VStrom and I take my Road King. Ever since we began in 2011 we have been to Colorado twice, Wyoming, Alaska, South Dakota and this summer (August) we are heading back to Wyoming. We are traveling with three other people. The plan is to meet in Buffalo, Wyoming and camp two nights, one night in Thermopolis, two nights in the Grand Tetons and four nights in Yellowstone National Park. We have reservations for every campground except the Grand Tetons because the don't accept advance reservations.

I will be pulling a trailer so we can be comfortable with camping supplies and with planning for meals. I know it is not everyone's cup of tea but it has worked for me in the past. I don't know if there are other people on this forum who pull trailers so I hope this is not a taboo topic.

Any suggestions with regard to places to see and special stops in the areas listed above I would appreciate them. We are looking forward to a great trip.

Thanks in advance,
Clint

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Well I haven't been most places you mentioned. But...., many years ago we did a backpacking trip to the Tetons. Gorgeous place! If you are looking for suggestions let me suggest you all take the ferry across Jenny Lake then hike a couple of miles or whatever you all are comfortable with on Cascade Canyon Trail. Still remember it vividly. On that trail I though I had died and gone to heaven it was simply beautiful and breathtaking. And there are a couple of places you can take a half day or all day float trip down the Snake River. Enjoy!

#3 ·
You didn't say when you are going. Right now we are still getting snow and they just plowed the roads in the park to make them passable to vehicles.
While in the N.W. corner of the state you will want to ride The Bear Tooth Highway and Chief Joseph Highway (Dead Indian Pass). When you are passing thru the N.E. corner you will want to do the Needles Highway/Iron Mountain etc and associated rides in the area of the Black Hills South Dakota.

Reactions: buckanear007
#6 ·
Response to questions

In 2015 I pulled this trailer behind my Honda VTX 1300 from St. Louis, Missouri to Alaska and back. I never had a bit of problems with any type of turning, cornering or tilting of the trailer. I hardly knew it was back there.

It is a Harbor Freight Tag A Long trailer. You can purchase them on sale and with a 20% off coupon for a decent price. I could not afford the ones that cost between $1200.00-1500.00 dollars. I did some modifications to it: 1/2 inch plywood base, added some nylon strips to quiet the springs, added larger washers and rubber washers to the base, put on bigger tires (16 inch), added a cooler rack and added a trailer jack to the tongue.

This will be the first year pulling this with my Road King. I took it for a short ride last week and had no problems. I still want to make a few more tweaks before August.

Clint

#7 ·
Clint,

Since you have a couple days in Teton area. Go out of Jackson Hole and ride the Hoback River (Called Fall River sometimes) Beautiful canyon and great fishing if you fish. Go From Jackson down the 191 to 26 through the canyon over into Idaho take the 31 cutoff to Victory and then roll 33 to 22 back into Jackson over Teton Pass, the highest mountain pass in the western USA.

Reactions: buckanear007
#10 ·
Thanks to all for your suggestions. I have written them down and will be including them on our trip. Our trip keeps getting better with all of your input.

I think we are planning on eating out in Thermopolis so I will keep in mind the Holiday Inn.

I talked with a friend who pulls a trailer about the swival hitch and he was not sure if there is a problem in the wind with it blowing over? I am guessing with the weight in the trailer that would not be an issue. I will check it out.

I am hoping we can camp at a Jenny Lake in the a Grand Tetons. Thanks for the Hoback River route. That sounds like a great route.

Clint

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.