Harley Davidson Forums banner

Did i just make a huge mistake?

9K views 53 replies 25 participants last post by  GreyGhost 
#1 ·
I AM FROM MICHIGAN. I just got home from buying a 2004 Harley Sportster 1200. The bike is in beautiful shape, runs great, drives great, but is on a salvage title. Right on the title it says ALL PARTS SALVAGABLE. And above it it says *NON-SALVAGABLE PARTS* COLOR-TRQ. The owner said it was totaled because of a scratch on the gas tank and a few chips on the front fender. I dont know how i failed to miss the words that say * NOT TO BE REGISTERED FOR HIGHWAY USE* on the title, but i did. I read that you can get a rebuilt title but it sounds like a long iffy process. Did i just get jipped big time? I payed 2600 for it. Do i need to fix the paint for it to pass inspection and make it street legal? Im seriously losing my mind right now.

#3 ·
In my opinion, you paid too much, but I don't live in MI and prices may differ. The reason a mcy. is totaled is that it will cost more in parts and LABOR to properly repair, than to replace at Ins. co. book value. Chipped paint won't do it, but a little broken tab (like crash bar mount) will, because every single part would have to be removed and reinstalled on a new frame. If you deal with the DMV and want positive results, be as kind and courteous and patient as you can. They can dismiss your request at will (because title already says not to be registered), or they can help you get registered. Good luck, and let us know how it works out for you.

#4 ·
You might have been taken advantage of . contact the SOS office in Lansing and see what they say. A local office will only probably piss you off they don't know a lot of the critical information needed to get it re registries. You will also have to get a list of approved inspection company's to have the bike inspected. but a dealer might be ok but you want to know that before you pay for a inspection and have to do it again and pay a second time .
Good luck.

From the Thumb

Attachments

#5 ·
This is off the Michigan SOS web Site .Good Luck let us know how you make out

Vehicle Title and Registration Your Title
Salvage Titles

A salvage title is issued*for a vehicle that has become a "distressed vehicle". A vehicle becomes "distressed" when one or more major component parts (such as bumpers, fenders, transmission, engine, hood, doors, frame, tailgate, body, etc.) have been wrecked, destroyed, damaged, stolen, or are missing to the extent the total estimated damage is from 75% to less than 91% of its pre-damaged cash value.*The vehicle owner's insurance company will determine the amount of damage to the vehicle.*The regular title is replaced with a salvage title.*
A vehicle with a salvage title cannot be plated or used on public roads until it is recertified by a specially trained police officer and retitled.*Since 1989, salvage and rebuilt titles are orange in color and list the vehicle's color and non-salvageable major component parts.*
Following is a list of current Michigan title legends for previously salvaged vehicles:
Prior to April 1990, "REBUILT"
April 1990 - February 2005, "THIS VEHICLE WAS PREVIOUSLY ISSUED A SALVAGE TITLE"
March 2005 to present, "REBUILT SALVAGE"
NOTE:* Vehicles with only flood damage may be titled as salvage vehicles.*
Motor vehicles, motorcycles, trailer coaches, and titled trailers are subject to the salvage law.* Mobile homes, ORVs, and watercraft are not included.

Salvage Titles for Late-Model Vehicles

A late-model (newer) vehicle is defined as:
A vehicle 8,000 pounds or less manufactured in one of the last six model years, or
A vehicle 8,001 pounds or more manufactured in one of the last 16 model years.*

Michigan Dealers

When a Michigan vehicle dealer acquires a late-model distressed vehicle not yet titled as salvage, and the vehicle's estimated cost of repairs is between 75% and less than 91% of its pre-damaged value, the dealer must apply for a resale salvage title within five days.*
The Michigan dealer must complete both an Application for Original Michigan Salvage Title (TR-12) form and an Application for Michigan Title - Statement of Vehicle Sale (RD-108) form in the name of the dealership.
If a Michigan dealer acquires a vehicle already titled as salvage (either in Michigan or in another state), the dealer does not have to obtain a resale salvage title.*The dealer (only those holding both a B and C license or holding both a B and R dealer license) may sell the salvage vehicle using the reassigned salvage title.*If the salvage title is from out-of-state, the dealer must submit both an RD-108 and a TR-12 with the out-of-state salvage title.*The TR-12 should identify the damage to the vehicle.*
No plate or permit (including a dealer plate) can be issued or used until a rebuilt title application is processed.*
NOTE:* A salvage indicator on an out-of-state title is always carried forward to a Michigan title, even if the vehicle is damaged less than 75% of its pre-damaged value.
When a Michigan dealer sells a vehicle previously titled as salvage, the dealer must give a written or printed disclosure to the buyer.* This document certifies the dealer informed the buyer the vehicle was previously a distressed vehicle.*

Insurance Companies

An insurance company acquiring ownership of a late-model distressed vehicle through payment of damages must apply for an original salvage title using an Application for Original Michigan Salvage Title (TR-12) form.
If the insurance company takes ownership of the vehicle, the insurance company applies for the salvage title in its name.
The insurance company may allow the owner to keep the salvage vehicle if the owner wants it.*In this case the title is not transferred to the insurance company. Instead, the insurance company applies for the salvage title in the vehicle owner's name.*The insurance company completes the application but the vehicle owner must sign the TR-12. The owner's "regular" title should be submitted with the application for a salvage title.

Recovered Stolen Vehicles

When an insurance company pays a claim for a vehicle that has been stolen, the owner assigns the title to the insurance company.*The insurance company becomes the owner of the vehicle.*If the vehicle is recovered, the insurance company must apply for a salvage title if one or more major component parts are missing, destroyed, or damaged and not salvageable.*This applies even if the estimated cost of repair is less than 75% of the vehicle's pre-damaged value.*

Individuals

When an individual vehicle owner acquires a late-model distressed vehicle a salvage title must be applied for before the vehicle may be transported or towed.*Owners may apply for an original salvage title at a Secretary of State branch office by completing an Application for Original Michigan Salvage Title (TR-12) form.*

Salvage Titles for Older-Model Vehicles

An older-model vehicle is defined as:
A vehicle 8,000 pounds or less over six model years old, or
A vehicle 8,001 pounds or more over 16 model years old.

Insurance Companies

When an insurance company acquires ownership of an older-model vehicle, a salvage or scrap title is not required.* The insurance company simply receives the title from the insured and reassigns the title upon resale of the vehicle.

Individuals

Older-model distressed vehicles are titled as salvage vehicles only on a voluntary basis. Vehicle owners are discouraged from applying for a salvage title on an older-model vehicle because it is not necessary.*It is also expensive and often difficult to obtain a vehicle recertification in order to purchase a plate.*

Salvage Vehicles from Another State

A vehicle with an out-of-state salvage title, regardless of the model year, cannot receive a Michigan recertified road-use title until:
The vehicle has been recertified and titled for road use in the state which issued the salvage title, or
The vehicle has been recertified by a Michigan salvage inspector using the TR-13B recertification form.* (The TR-13B recertification form is available only to law enforcement officers.)

Applying For a Salvage Vehicle Title

An individual, business, or Michigan dealer may submit applications for salvage titles either at a local Secretary of State branch office or directly to Lansing, Michigan.*A check in the amount of $15 made payable to "State of Michigan" must accompany all applications.*When using the direct mail method, send all documents, fees, and the TR-12 application (and a RD-108 if a dealer) to:
Michigan Department of State
The Special Services Branch
7064 Crowner Drive
Lansing, MI 48918
Phone 517-322-1473

From the Thumb

#6 ·
I AM FROM MICHIGAN. I just got home from buying a 2004 Harley Sportster 1200. The bike is in beautiful shape, runs great, drives great, but is on a salvage title. Right on the title it says ALL PARTS SALVAGABLE. And above it it says *NON-SALVAGABLE PARTS* COLOR-TRQ. The owner said it was totaled because of a scratch on the gas tank and a few chips on the front fender. I dont know how i failed to miss the words that say * NOT TO BE REGISTERED FOR HIGHWAY USE* on the title, but i did. I read that you can get a rebuilt title but it sounds like a long iffy process. Did i just get jipped big time? I payed 2600 for it. Do i need to fix the paint for it to pass inspection and make it street legal? Im seriously losing my mind right now.
That means that the OEM painted parts aren't available (obsolete) from Harley anymore so they can't be replaced with new original painted parts. They could be repainted any color if you so wish. The rest of the bike is salvageable and can re-titled.

#7 ·
First off id like to thank all of you guys for your helpful information. I may have some good news. My mother works at a restaraunt here in town and i guess she talks to the county inspector almost on a daily basis. She brought the title into work and saw the guy. Showed him the title, and asked if the bike would be able to be registered at any point in the future. I guess he was very nice and very straightforward. He told my mother that it would be a piece of cake to re build the title, all i would have to do is touch up the paint for the inspection. He pretty much just said do anything, just touch it up. So im hoping and praying this works out well for me. Going to SoS tomorrow to apply for the inspection! By the way i am brand new to the harley community, this is my first bike. I really look forward to getting to know alot of you guys on the forum and letting you all know how my experience goes!

#15 ·
Thanks for the feedback John. When I said "paint won't cause it to be totaled", I wasn't thinking of obsolete part availability, my bad. So glad to hear you found a solution. Also, watch that strap rubbing over painted parts when hauling, or you may "retotal" it yourself. :laughing

#14 ·
If the insurance co was going to replace the tank that could cause them to total it. My daughter hi-sided her 05 Sportster 2 years ago. small scratch on the front fender and dented the tank. If I recall the new tank was $2700, can't recall how much the fender was but it was the two tone with pinstripe.

#21 ·
I think the boy is anxious to get that bike on the road He will have to invest in some kinda trailer in the near Future and learn tie down procedures in how not to mess up the paint . Also bigger truck those rangers are a little small for hauling a Harley. I wonder how the hell he's going to get it out of the truck for the inspection. Humm . Maybe the bad tie down job will help in the inspection . :eek-surprise

#23 ·
Good luck on bike inspect, doesn't sound all that bad compared to some folks I know that have bought sumthing with salvage title, bikes and cars and trucks.

#25 ·
Oh I forgot to say welcome from San Antonio and make sure you go back and punch the seller in the face. I was supposed to get pictures of the last guy who needed a punch in the face but never got them so I'm counting on you. :wink

#27 ·
To clarify on the strap, that is just slack wrapped around and tied to another strap so it wasnt flying around in the wind lol. Also i am in the Upper Peninsula of michigan, little town called Manistique. I was supposed to have a buddy with a trailer come with me, but he backed out last minute. So instead of waiting until next saturday i just went and threw her in the back of my truck.

#29 ·
John With you living in Gods country up there You probally need some more then that little ranger in the U p winters . Hey we have to ruff up the newbees a little bit that's what us trolls do . Me and my wife were in the U.P last winter for a extended weekend it sure is nice open spaces up their . We meet up with some family in Munising for a couple of days Gambled in Christmas too . How did you make out any way were our report we have to Know

#34 ·
John With you living in Gods country up there You probally need some more then that little ranger in the U p winters . Hey we have to ruff up the newbees a little bit that's what us trolls do .
They have these things called Snowmobiles up there..... maybe you've heard of em.... Only way to get around up there! Beautiful area.... in the summer!

#31 ·
Welcome from another troll..:devil

The mrs and I recently took a trip up your way..copper harbor,christmas,pictured rock, Munising,...had a blast!

I'm from SE LOWER MICHIGAN... near metro airport.

Good Luck title ing it! Ride safe!
Lots of great info, members, staff here!

:welcome

#35 ·
Welcome and good luck on the bike My first Harley was a 2005 xl1200c nice bike.Rode it awhile traded it on a 2014 FLD and then my son ended up with it rode it for about 15k got hit and it had too much cosmetic damage (He was fine )they totaled it but wanted 1750 for it to buy back he chose to take all the money 3800.00 to pay him off.pocket full o money NO Bike yet,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.