Harley Davidson Forums banner

How Long Do you Keep Your Bikes?

5K views 53 replies 41 participants last post by  ARBY 
#1 ·
I've fallen into a really bad habit these last few years. Since April of 2014, I've owned 4 different Harleys. Not at the same time. I just traded them off after less than a year. I had a 2011 FXDC that I loved and should have kept. Stupidly, I got the "itch" for a new bike and traded it in for a new Softail Deluxe because, well, they're just beautiful........but......I HATED IT!!!!!..........traded it for a Street Glide after about 6 weeks..........shortest time I've ever owned any motorcycle. Rode the Street Glide for a year, then traded it even up for a new Low Rider because I missed the dynas. Now I find myself with the "itch" again, even though I really like the Low Rider. Local dealer has offered me a deal on a Switchback. I've just gotten into the habit of trading bikes every year. I'd love to just be happy with what I have, and not get trade happy again. I told myself when I bought the Low Rider that I was gonna keep it until I put 100,000 miles on it. Maybe I should just have my wife hide the title to it until I get over this urge to trade. I'm lucky enough to be able to pay cash for my bikes, so I've always had a clear title which makes trading easier. So...question is....how long do you guys keep your bikes?

#4 ·
I've had three bikes since 03. Bought a brand new Yammy Road Star. It was a hell of a bike, had it for six or seven years. Traded it off on a cage. Was without a scooter for a couple of years, mostly because of work, but couldn't take it anymore and went and bought a heritage Softail, used. Had it for a couple of years and work went to shit for most of that year. Things were really getting tight but I told myself I ain't going without a scoot again, so I traded down and got a Road Glide, a 00 SE. I know it's old, but that's OK so am I. But I really love that shark so thinking I'll keep it for awhile...

#6 ·
About 2 decades judging by my last Harley, but I really had no intention of selling it.

I would have kept it and turned that one into my hot rod and kept my NightTrain's motor stock if my brother didn't ask me to sell it to him.

#7 ·
Bought my 05 Heritage Jan 2010 and my 08 CVO Ultra Jan 2013. Would not trade either of them. Maybe if they offered me even trade for new 2018 114 CI CVO Ultra.

Paid cash for both. Never bought a toy with credit.

Credit is to easy to keep making poor choices.

Reactions: Louisville Joe
#8 ·
Had a 98 Sporty for 5 years, I out grew it. I like to take long trips, but not with that bike. Bought my 2003 RK used, had it for 5 years, its my last bike...

#9 ·
I've only sold one Harley, and it was to my girlfriend at the time. I've had my Dyna 25 yrs, the Shovel 12 and my Electra 10. Not saying I wouldn't sell one, just won't sell them for what anyone would be willing to pay. I get more than a little attached to them, even though they don't have names or gender.

#10 ·
Prior to 2015 I had always ridden Hondas. I bought used ones and rode them until they were worn out - probably on the order of 10 years or so. The Honda VTX I had until 2015 was 12 years old when I bought the 2013 Ultra Classic, but it still ran good and looked pretty good so I gave it to my son who still rides it. I think I get the best bang for the buck when I buy a relatively new used vehicle (car, truck, bike) and drive it until the wheels fall off.

Reactions: Toni Rae
#12 ·
I've had my shovel for about 7 years now and I it will always be in my garage, if for no other reason than how I got it. I may buy another bike, but the shovel will be with me until I die...and then I guess I don't care what happens to it, but I can easily see someone in my family snatching it up.

#13 ·
All my previous bikes were metric. Dirt cheap so I would trade in every couple of years. Not going to be the case with Harley. My plan is to pay off the Heritage, keep it and buy a Road King. Not ready for a geezer cruiser. Yet [emoji41]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#14 ·
After a long drought between motorcycles, I came home one day to find my brother on a pre-2000 RK. Aw Sh#$#$@t. Found a nice 98 Fat Boy with a cammed out Evo that would rip the socks off of pedestrians as it went by. visited my brother on New Years eve of '04 and met Rover. Rover was a Pit Bull who had been , apparently, terrorizing the local neighborhood, and he came out from behind a hedge and hit me between the engine and front wheel (at about 50mph), and I discovered how far you can slide uphill at 50mph on an asphalt road. Rover, of course, had a collar that had no owner info on it. Said FB was totaled so scratch biked #1. Got an '04 Ultra and had it decked out as the chrome champion of the coast and I met the "Nice Lady in the SUV" one Friday morning of April, '07. She totaled the bike and most of my left leg. Scratch Harley #2. Took about 4 years of fighting the insurance weenies and the lawyers before they finally came through and I got the Rot Beer '11 Ultra that I still love, but got offered a deal on a '15 Ultra Limited that I couldn't pass....hell, the stealer's brother has been riding ol' Root Beer.....glad it's one of my close buddies. Still got the '15, and at 70, not likely to get itchy for a peppier or purtier bike. Love that 103, though.
So you now have MY biker change history. Not exactly how I'd have planned it!

#17 ·
Grew up with a couple of Hondas and a '68 Triumph Bonnieville I bought new. Moving out of state for a while so sold the Bonnie and never got another bike. Till 30+ years later in '09. Bought a new 1200 Sporty. Two years later traded for a '11 Fat Bob. Two years later ordered a new '13 RGC. Just took me some time (and $$$) to figure out what I really wanted. Well, I found it. Will likely have this RGC for a very long time.

#18 ·
Hey..... '68 Bonneville me too! I've regretted selling almost every bike I've ever owned but I always have done it for good reasons at the time. I've been looking at new bikes recently even though I have no good reason to sell my current Road King. I think it must be the paint color so maybe I should just change the tins on my RKC?

2013 stock RKC

#19 ·
I got my first HD Wide Glide about 7 years ago and love it. Then about 3 years ago, convinced the War Dept. that we really needed a RK Classic...because it would be more comfortable for her. Still trying to sell the WG, so I can buy a 76 Corvette. This is going over like a fart in church.

#23 ·
I seem to be in the habit of getting a new bike every few years. I don't like any colors on the 2017 Limited and the color chart on the 2018 Limited is making me either keep my 2015 in Purple or paint it. I don't know if I mentioned I like orange? Should have kept my 2012.

#24 ·
Guess I'm the opposite got my first Harley in 81 an ironhead sporty rode lots of troubled miles till 93 bought a 92 fxrs rode it trouble free till 97 traded for a new Road King rode the chit out of it till 2015 scrapped it bought a low mile 05 Ultra that's now a custom Bagger at this rate it will probably outlast me!!

#25 ·
First bike: 1982 Yamaha Maxim 550, bought in 1990. Sold that bike in 1992 and took a riding break until 2011 (family, job, etc.). Purchased a new 2009 Honda Shadow 750 in 2011, my wife fell in love with riding in 2015, so started her with a Chinese scooter, and then just like that we sold the scooter and she was on a used 2009 Honda Rebel 250, a couple months later, a 2015 Harley-Davidson Street 750. Fell in love with Harley's myself so I purchased a 2016 Ultra Limited. At one point, had four bikes in the garage. Sold the Honda Rebel and then traded my Honda Shadow and her Street 750 for my wife's current bike, a 2016 Forty-Eight. Back to only two bikes in the garage, and they're both Harley's now. I'm almost 50, so I figure I'll trade for a new Ultra Limited when I hit 60, and then my next ride after that will be a trike!

#26 ·
Just about "forever." It's rare I sell a motorcycle, I have a warehouse I rent full of them.

The Crossbones I bought new in 2008, still have it, the Superglide 1977, still have it.
I also have BMW's, the K-100 I bought new in 1988, still have it, The RT on 2006, still have it, the F650GS, 2002, Still have it. I bought the Buell CityX (XB9SX) in 2004, still have that too.

I keep all of my bikes a LONG time. I tend to bond with them and never want to say "good by".

Sometimes I'll turn one quickly, I had a Triumph 800Xc Tiger, good enough bike, but I sold that to make ROOM for a R-1200GS. Not because I didn't like it, I just didn't have ROOM for it.

I have my eye on a tasty & beautiful 1985 FXRS superglide, (Brother B likes older motorcycles BTW) if I get that what's going to go next.

- BB

#27 ·
Had a lot of bikes over the years, most metrics that I have patched up for heck of it and resold

But think it'll be tough getting rid of current two, one had since 86 and other since 2010

#28 ·
Had my '99 V-star starter bike for 9 years even though it sat for about 3 before trading it for my VRSC...

Had my '08 VRSCDX since '08 no intentions of selling or trading it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.