Harley Davidson Forums banner

Lost key replacement

87K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  palmerjustice02 
#1 ·
I lost my 1998 Wide Glide keys in a house fire anybody know how to replace them . Thanks
Rancid

#2 ·
Bring your title into Harley dealer they can cut you a key or get you a key code that a locksmith can use to make you your key.
Remove ignition lock or secondary lock (helmet or gas tank or seat lock) take it to a locksmith and they will make you a key.

#16 ·
Bring your title into Harley dealer they can cut you a key or get you a key code that a locksmith can use to make you your key.
Remove ignition lock or secondary lock (helmet or gas tank or seat lock) take it to a locksmith and they will make you a key.
Do you have to have the title in your name? I just purchased a 06 street glide an the guy had lost the ignition key.. called my local Harley dealer an they said to just bring the VIN..

#3 ·
:welcome

Bring your title into harley dealer they can cut you a key or get you a key code that a locksmith can use to make you your key.

Remove ignition lock and take it to a locksmith and they will make you a key.

#7 ·
Ya lost the title in the house fire too , so I have to get a duplacate & in the middle of a sale and would like to get it running in the mean time , you all no how hard it is to sell an old evo with out losing your shirt or having them run . I do agree I hope the locksmith needs to see a title for all of your sakes but for me it would be nice to find Joe the locksmith & just get the key but that wont happen but if this was shady keys would be falling from the sky HAHA. Thanks guys for the help just gunna have to see what happens .

#9 ·
I do`nt know if the new Harleys are still using the cylinder keys.
I tried the local locksmith and He told Me that the only place I would get that key would be from the H.D.dealer.
You won`t need the title IF You have a copy of the registration and Your drivers license or a photo ID.
If You do`nt have the registration the courthouse should be able to print one off for You on the spot,At least they do here in backwoods Montana.:D

#11 ·
keys no problem

recently my wife got me a key for xmas with the skullon it. when we at american harley in tonawanda ny we said to the parts guy, that I didnt bring the info tags off my key ring to order a key. he said no problem just took the vin off my ownership and my bike pulls up on his screen. build date and dealer installed option list . this wasnt even the deal I bought it from looking this up. odereda key came in 2 weeks later.

#12 ·
ok so if the HD dealer can't get you a key try another locksmith. I am retired but over the years i made many keys for lost harleys. reg or barrel. Also this is a heads up for everyone. It is very easy to take your key (even if it is a copy) to a locksmith and have him read it to write down the cuts. Then write the cuts on the back of your ownership.
If you ever loose your keys it is a simple thing to cut a key by numbers.

#13 ·
The lock for the seat/cowl cover is the same, it has the code on it. When I bought my mine I only got one key and promptly lost it. I loosened all the fasteners for the back section and was able to pop open the cowl cover and then removed the lock. I had a locksmith cut a key with the code. A Locksmith can also cut a key without a code but they would have to come to where the bike it and work on it for a while. I was quoted $80 for that.