Harley Davidson Forums banner

Do Dealers negotiate ?

25K views 61 replies 39 participants last post by  mjk 
#1 ·
Mark < newbie from Hillsboro > here..

Still in the jonesin' for a Harley stage.. .. was wondering:

re: Dealer negotiations.. while most sales have room for some negotiation..

not always: when I bought my mini-cooper years ago.. they were so hot: there was no negotiation.. in fact there was a waiting list. Want one? get a spot in the build schedule.. and pay full price when it comes in.

thus: is there typically room for negotiation on a new Harley from a dealership? if so.. how much off the published list price is typical ( say on a Sportster $7,999 ) .. or goodies that might be thrown in ( forward controls.. windshield.. ?? )

#2 ·
Very little on new bikes, a tad more on used bikes and most of the bartering will be on a trade.

Outside of that, if you don't buy it, the next guy will. It's the height of the season.

#3 ·
I thought that might be the case..

very little meaning: $7,999 and throw in a windshield or forward controls.. ( which I don't know what that costs.. )

or $7,999 and thrown in a Tee Shirt ..

If Oct/Nov purchase represented a nice savings.. no problem

Used I see in Craigslist hold their value so well.. the allure of a new bike.. no unknown issues.. warranty .. is very attractive..

#4 ·
$7,999 and a t-shirt. They may install the winshield and forward controls free if you buy them there, or atleast give you 15-20% off with a new purchase.

Craigslist: You see the asking price. You don't see the final sale price. Dealers get more for bikes because they can finance you on the spot. Craigslist depends on people with CASH. Those people seem to be far and few these days.

#5 ·
I think the only recent time I saw dealers anxious to negotiate was last year when the 2012 models were on their way to my local dealer and he still had a showroom floor full of 2011s he needed out of the way. I went in to buy some fork oil and they were trying real hard to get me to take a 2011 scoot with that oil!

When I bought mine I was able to get a free luggage rack with my full price purchase. Couldn't even get a couple dollars off the leather jacket I bought at the same time, and they only gave me the rack because I worked in the area and provided them with stuff they needed.

#8 ·
One year ago Lander's H-D in Hot Springs took $1000 of the MSRP, dropped the dealer prep and gave me a $500 gift card on a brand new 2011 SuperGlide Custom.

#10 ·
No dealers ever give 15 -20% that I've ever seen. I have dealt with many.

I used to work for a dealer and they needed a double ok just for the 10%. Sometimes you would get harley bucks for extras when you make a deal, then all your parts and extra were 10% off for like 6 months after you bought the bike.

This guy I know charges his family healthcare and other stuff, on his HD CC. He just cashed in over 600 worth before they expired: two new tires, oil, and couple of shirts- I was like-Damn! I'm getting an HD CC and start getting points man! Smart move. They just mail him the certs, and he takes them in like CASH!
No bs dollar for dollar.

#12 ·
No dealers ever give 15 -20% that I've ever seen. I have dealt with many.

Yer probably right. I just threw that out there as an example. More like 5% off.....

#11 ·
I got mine for a couple hundred bucks under msrp. I also had them add the sundowner seat and sissy bar. Then they threw in 2 helmets of my choice. I also got them to throw in the double windshield bag. Thats when the sales Person said NO MORE! THERES NO MORE ROOM FOR ANYTHINg ELSE!!! Then they had it all installed within a couple hours of me telling them on the phone that I would be there to pick it up. haha

#13 ·
You have it right.

"$7,999 and thrown in a Tee Shirt .."

#14 ·
Dream machines in Dallas is where I got mine they have lots of hd's, I got a 2009 Electra glide with less than 3 k miles on it a month ago, very happy they have a nice web page with detailed pics and do in house finance didn't even have to put any down

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

#17 ·
My bike the way I had it set up would of had a sticker price of $18890 before any taxes, freight and dealer prep add on's (lived in NY at the time and tax was 8.625) and I walked out getting it after all was said and done for $18000. But I bought it in November in NY when it really wasn't riding season. Everyone negotiate's you just gotta be willing to walk away. Remember the economy still sucks and if the salesman wants that sale he's gonna play.

Also any accessory I wanted that day I also could of got at 15% off too

#18 ·
When I picked up my FXDC dealer gave me 20% off on parts and accessories.
Congratulations!

Was it new? Used?

Most of the time they give Harley bucks or 500 credit on add ons if you know how to negotiate and know the drill, did you get those? I doubt they gave you 20% and one or the other not both. It works out about the same in most cases depending on how much you bought.

Most dealers sales people work into a deal a "wish list", parts guys work them up for almost every sale. Its usually worked into the deal- and separate from the initial loan or financing though.

I would seriously be very interested in any dealer giving anyone a 20% off deal on anything- I would wonder why the want to move it. The showrooms in CO and California dealers are packed- they are selling lots of scoots- got a friend in the moco- its doing extremely well. I would be skeptical of any deal they let hash out for 20% discount.

#19 ·
He local dealer 15 miles from my house wanted MSRP plus freight, prep, tax, tags.... I contacted several dealers around the area. Collier HD in Roanoke Rapids NC had the best price around. It worked put to be just under MSRP out the door, plus a $500 gift card and 10% off accessories. On top of that he offered me $500 more for my trade. Total package was $2000 less than my local dealer, well worth the 325 mile round trip to pick it up. They impressed me so much I now enjoy the ride there for service.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

#20 ·
He local dealer 15 miles from my house wanted MSRP plus freight, prep, tax, tags.... I contacted several dealers around the area. Collier HD in Roanoke Rapids NC had the best price around. It worked put to be just under MSRP out the door, plus a $500 gift card and 10% off accessories. On top of that he offered me $500 more for my trade. Total package was $2000 less than my local dealer, well worth the 325 mile round trip to pick it up. They impressed me so much I now enjoy the ride there for service.
Like I said that is the status quo........

#26 ·
I dont think the dealers can deal much on the price of the new bikes. There was a place in New Jersey that didnt play by the moco's rules, and they are no longer there. Theres a place in Gettysburg that sometimes they pay the taxes, and freight, and a percent off of accessories.

#27 ·
Bought my '12 SG when they first came out last year. Sticker price was $21 and change for Ember Red Sunglo with ABS, cruise, & security. I got them to come down $1500. I told my sales guy where I wanted to be on the price and he said they couldn't do that. So I left the dealership headed to another dealer. He called me back 10 mins later saying he could do the deal. I got 20% off parts that day as well. I think if you hit them at the right time they'll come down a little. If it's not the right time I don't think they'll budge much.

#28 ·
Dealer threw in 1200 dollars of stuff when I bought my 12 fxdc. Plus a 10 percent discount on the stuff I bought that day. I was also able to get about 300 more for my trade. That was in January and they were giving up to 2500 in free stuff depending on the bike.

Sent from my C771 using Motorcycle.com App

#29 ·
I played 2 local dealers that hated each other. I was able to get the one that I bought from to come down $4k on the price tag of a BRAND new 2012 Blackline in November 2011. But I was also adding $3k in parts to the bike before it even left the showroom. Got a free t-shirt and 10% knocked off the wifes helmet and jacket.

It all depends on how you deal with them. Putting 2 dealerships against eachother is a good way to do it.

#31 ·
What we are seeing here is that it really boils down to a few things;

1. The individual dealer and proximity to the competition.
2. State of their business-sales volume at that time (in many places this ties in with time of year).
3. Model being purchased - hot models that always sell quick, limited availability models, maybe a model that they have 6 on the floor, etc.
4. Likelihood they will be seeing you and the bike back for future accessory and service visits - sales guy told me flat out that the best deals go to local purchasers since it is more probable they will be back for service and accessory items than it is for someone who drove 100 miles, past two closer dealers trying to shop price.

And last but certainly not least....

5. Being able to say "I have cash (or a check) on me now and am ready to buy.

Natty
"if everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." General George S. Patton

#32 ·
5. Being able to say "I have cash (or a check) on me now and am ready to buy.
Which does put you in a better negotiating position but they do make some money off of you when you finance through the dealership. So it shouldn't have that much effect unless they are pretty damn sure you are gone when you play that hand and should have the same effect even if you are financing.

#33 ·
When I bought my 2003 FXST a few years ago, I was able to get it for $1200 less than asking price.
When I bought my wife her 2011 883 Superlow back in August of 2010 I paid stickerprice, plus all the fees. When I would not sign the papers without something.....the manager gave me a $50 gift card. I feel I was lucky to walk away with it! I HATE paying full retail for anything....but if you want the brand new, just out bike NOW, you'll have to pay retail!
Danomite!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.